Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the clip ons, i removed the screws that hold them in place on the top triple but it seems like this big nut needs to come off too to completely remove them, im just affraid if i unscrew it im gonna get hit with srpings and oil from the fork since it has the little brass compression adjustment screw ?

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Uhhh.....that's the fork cap and it absolutely does not need to be touched when removing clip-ons. Perhaps before you proceed any further you should get yourself a service manual for this bike as it sounds like you don't know what you're doing :D

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Whoa dude. That fuckers under serious pressure. If you would turned that loose you woulda got a mouth full of "what the fuck just happened"...

Get a service manual, Google it. you can probably find a free one.

Watch a YouTube video. Something. Taking the top triple off requires some specific steps. It's not just pop it off, pop it back on. Your dealing with neck bearings, proper torque settings, and the forks. That is an integral part of the motorcycle. One of the most important parts of the whole.

Having said all that, I'm under the assumption "taking the bars off should be as easy as taking a bolt out, and removing the controls. The fact that your trying to unscrew the fork cap tells me your either trying to take the clip ons off by way of the whole assembly ie: top triple clamp

...or you really aren't sure how to get the handle bars out.

Either way. Take a minute and do some research. Not trying to be a dick but thats the LAST thing you want to touch for either job

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can guess your mechanical aptitude by the tool you are holding. Seriously, what the fuck are you doing with an adjustable? What is you next go to, vise grips? Sorry, just a huge pet peave of mine passed down by my old man. Don't use an open end when you can get a box on it. 6-point instead of 12. Claw hammer when working on on a car? You would be pulling it out of your ass...lmao

Unlike a car, you are seriously taking a huge risk if you don't know what you are doing. You must have a manual and torque wrench. You are screwing steel hardware into aluminum threads. That is a recipe for disaster. Use thread-locker or anti-sieze as called for. Hate to see you land a wheelie and drive the front tire into the radiator. As you're heading over the bars you'll be remembering that bolt you stripped.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys got it not gonna touch that, i had a hunch it would be the fork caps but it doesnt make any sense in order to remove the clip ons to disassemble the forks, and thats exactly why im asking from someone who might have done it before ? Is there something im missing ?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can guess your mechanical aptitude by the tool you are holding. Seriously, what the fuck are you doing with an adjustable? What is you next go to, vise grips? Sorry, just a huge pet peave of mine passed down by my old man. Don't use an open end when you can get a box on it. 6-point instead of 12. Claw hammer when working on on a car? You would be pulling it out of your ass...lmao

Unlike a car, you are seriously taking a huge risk if you don't know what you are doing. You must have a manual and torque wrench. You are screwing steel hardware into aluminum threads. That is a recipe for disaster. Use thread-locker or anti-sieze as called for. Hate to see you land a wheelie and drive the front tire into the radiator. As you're heading over the bars you'll be remembering that bolt you stripped.
Im using it point out at the nut, i have not done anything yet, why is everyone coming down at me like that, i asked because i dont know, and im learning from you guys, its not like im doing stupid shit then coming here with my goofy mess, i just want to know how to remove the damn clip ons

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,619 Posts
We are all capable of learning, and it's great that you are working on the bike yourself.
However, I have never understood why people don't read the manual first...if you don't already have one, buy one or download one...Suzuki, Chilton, Haynes etc.
It will help you with disassembly and reassembly procedures, troubleshooting etc.
It's a great tool!

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so the suzuki manual does not have it clear on the clip ons, it just focuses on removing, servicing and reassembling the forks and clamps. Page 178 just has the torque specs for the clip ons bolts.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to remove the clip ons, im cleaning/ refurbishing the whole bike so everything is gonna get cleaned, its a 92 1127 swiss model with the 40mm carbs. Here is a little example of what im doing. I have alot of time to spare after work so im taking care of all the details. On of them is restoring the satin look on the top triple and clip ons.

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
While I applaud your enthusiasm, if you're already not sure what you're doing at this (very) early stage of disassembly on something as basic as dropping forks, stop and step-away from the toolbox.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
The clip on bolts directly to the top triple. The is a bolt on the top side that needs to be removed. It's to the right of your wrench in the first pic you posted. There's another bolt under the top triple that points upward and goes through the triple clamp and screws into the bottom of he clip on. Once both bolts are removed it should lift off the fork. There is nothing clamping it to the fork tube.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes i unbolted both those the one on top and the one under, the clip on came loose and moved freely from side to side but would not come off the fork thats why i thought that nut could have something to do, obviously it does not.

·
Super Moderator
14,988 Posts
That adjustable wrench shouldn't be anywhere near that bike. If you don't stop now...you run the risk of creating yet another epic GDC thread. :eek:ogle

Seriously man...get some qualified help. Seriously. Don't even change the oil.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Yes i unbolted both those the one on top and the one under, the clip on came loose and moved freely from side to side but would not come off the fork thats why i thought that nut could have something to do, obviously it does not.
Should slide right off. You may need to remove the clutch cable and the control box on the handlebar as they are likely holding it down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts