Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manufactures dry claimed weight aside. Suzuki (or someone) is claiming that the K5 1000 weighs 8-10 pound less than the ZX-10. If that’s the case, then the K5 1000 weighs less than the 750.

Motorcyclist lists the wet weight of the ZX-10 as weighing 433 lbs; the GSX-R750 is listed as weighing 434 lbs. If the K5 does indeed weigh 8 pounds less than the ZX-10, that should put its wet weight at about 425 lbs, which is 4 lbs lighter than the GSX-R600! No doubt the K5 is a light bike but someone is spreading misinformation. In the same issue of motorcyclist the have the K4 1000 listed as weighing 444 lbs wet. My guess is that the K5 1000 will weigh about 440 lbs (wet) when someone finally puts the thing on a scale. Any other guesses?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
It certainly feels as light as a 600, so I guess we'll have to wait and see when the magazines start testing them in their shoot outs.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
I think thats 440 fully fueled. It was 9 lbs ligther than than 2005 R1.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think thats 440 fully fueled. It was 9 lbs ligther than than 2005 R1.
Makes sense. So the ZX-10 is lighter than the K5 1000. Not that it means anything. The K5 appears to be better balanced and its weight more centralized.

·
Registered
496 Posts
RRW already weighed it in stock trim at 453
RRW has it at 444 pounds wet...
The R1 was 453 pounds wet...
Who has RRW wet weight for the ZX-10...
That will be the answer as they weigh all the bikes on the same scale same way(FULL)

Mombo...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are these wet weights with a full tank, empty tank, or somewhere in between? And if you compare those numbers to "wet" weight numbers from a different source, are you sure they weighed it the same way?

If it's not with an empty tank, or at least a specified amount of gas (like say, 1 gallon or 2 gallons), then what's the point? If two bikes weigh the same with full tanks, but one has a 4 gal. tank and the other has a 5 gal. tank, do you *really* consider both bikes to weigh the same? I don't. I'd consider the one with the 5 gal. tank to be lighter.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Last year they published the ZX weights (430), but their 04 1000 wieght (442)was less than you have above for the K5, so who knows what happened there but that is a little low for a ZX.

However almost every ZX10 weigh in when done with an R1 had it 15 pounds lighter than the R1 and in the mid 430's. Consistent with the numbers above. The brit mags had the Kawi 4 to 6 pounds lighter than the K5.

Is the ZX10 with gas lighter then the GSXR with gas. Yes.

But the GSXR also carries .5 gallons more gas, so there is 3 lbs of it.

Dont tell the spec sheet guys, we'll get a 5 page post about how the new K5 makes you coffee in moring and the spec sheet says this or that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts