·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me?

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Ozkat, mellow dude. We get the same questions through here on a regular basis. Oftimes the poster will be referred to the search function, but just as often he'll get an answer. Most of us here like to talk about our bikes even over and over again! Troy341

·
Banned
185 Posts
I suppose ozcat was born with all his knowledge, never having to ask a question. Hmmm...

I remember back about 1986 I asked an animal trainer at Marine World if "camels really had water in their humps"? Now that is a stupid question, and comming from a junior at Berkeley even more impressive. Needless to say it started a trend, a hobby if you will. I have yet to slow down. Here's one for ya; why is the monkey trying to piss on the beach ball with a good idea?

Till the wheels fall off

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Actually I didn't know why these bikes were refered to "slabside" till I read this thread. And I have owned a "slabside" for 18 years..lol..But I am not very grown up either..lol..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies fells. I figured it was something like that. Ozkat, you don't have to feel threatened here. It's OK that one night you had a dream that you were riding your motorcycle, and woke up stradling your grandmom's bunion. It didn't help that her bunion was a six-speed!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
the term "slabslide" is not common in the USA. it was coined in the UK.
LOL that is what I was thinking.
The first time I remember seeing the term "slabside" was in a U.K. bike magazine.
It is rarely ever used in the U.S.

They are affectionaly known as "Slabbies" and they are the BEST of the Gixxers....

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I remember when I first joined here and asked that very question myself. Thanks for that enlightenment, FastCat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, that was that tool put properly in his place! :p

Hi there! Was just watching "The Motorbike Show" (UK) & the host was talking about slabbies. I had no idea either what the term meant so googled it &, happy accident, landed here.

After seeing the first odious response, I almost pissed straight off but decided to read on & realised that that sort of abuse could well be the exception rather than the norm. Might just hang around a bit now.

Cheers all, & thanks for the knowledge. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I saw that edition of The Motorbike Show as well, what was he saying when he was referring to "Gixxers"? It sounded something like "Jeeezers", certainly not the way I would pronounce Gixxer (with the G sounding like a J)

I quite like Henry Cole, a bit of a knob sometimes (aren't we all?), but he's OK. Very lucky sod with all those bikes, odd choice in the bad ass American custom, pricey and not really that good (no offence US guys)

But he loved the Slabbie, so he does have some taste!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always thought it referred to the engine casings being a big lump.... But what do I know.:wacko
You're spot on about Henry Cole. Abit of a knob at times, but he DOES love bikes, and he really does grow on you after time.:surprise:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts