Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was adjusting my valves, I noticed that my cam lobes don't have that ultrasmoot, mirrr-like finish that they should. instead, the entire surface of the lobe (including the rounded back end) has this cloudy, discolored, rubbed look to them. Then I am seeing the very beginning of some pitting on one lobe (a minute pin-hole or two). My old ninja had deeply pitted cams, yet ran like a champ. I was just wondering whether this is normal for the gixxers. I'm hoping that my good oil changing habits, along with semi-synthetic Motul, will stop this wearing process that started with the previous owner. Anyone have experience with such things?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
One of my bikes has a small pit on number three cyc. I noticed it at the first valve adjustment. That cam now has 50000 miles on it. The last few times I have checked valves has been a waste of time as none of them seemed to have changed. It sounds like your motor has been pretty hot, but may not of hurt anything. There is some measurments in the service manual for cam lobe wear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts