Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I put 12k miles on my 600F3 last year and got myself a K6 750 this year...already in a world of trouble. I have no self control and am looking to get the bike off the road temporarily. What do you think about a 750 for track days? I'm, a fairly good rider for only having bikes for less than 2 years I put on about 15k miles and most of those are in twisties. Theres no chickenstrips on my tires haven't tried getting my knee down but thats because I have jeans...no suit yet. Let me get back to the subject. After trackdays, getting into racing what can I all do? How many 750 classes are there even? Since suzuki is the only company to make a 750 wtf would I be stuck doing? It wouldn't be moto2, or moto3 obviously so would I be stuck riding a smaller bike in a larger class?

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Can't be of much help to you except to say, it'll be expensive. I think this would be better asked in the racing forum rather than here where there's little activity. I'll move this thread and hope you get your answers.

·
Registered
817 Posts
As a novice you can run the 750 in a heavyweight class. If you are in western WI I would think you could go to Brainerd with the CRA(www.cra-mn.com) for racing. I will be obtaining my license this summer with them. Head to MNSBR.com for more track day info. If you want to go fast then look for trackdays at Road America.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in southeast wisconsin. Im going to take it through motovid @ blackhawk most likely. I'm in the middle of blackhawk and road america. Thanks for the info man:cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Your local track schools should be able to point you in the right direction. I'm not sure how CCS/Wera works in Wisconsin.

The 750 is arguably the greatest production race bike ever made so you cannot go wrong with it at all. I'm sure you knew that though. Depending upon your local race orgs you may or may not be able to enter into as many races as you would on a 600. Again, your local track schools and orgs should be able to help you out there if someone from your area doesn't chime in beforehand.

Get yourself a suit or two and try to get to at least two trackdays. To be honest with you, I've only done one trackday in my entire life before ever going racing. I could never afford to race AND do trackdays! The rest of my track experience came from practice sessions (and crashes :hammer) before a race. :eek

I don't necessarily recommend doing that but I had to do it on a budget. :dunno

Figure out how confident you are of a rider and what your limitations are.
Do as many trackdays as you can, take an approved race school, sign up for your first race, and prepare to blow some money FAST. Just make sure to have fun while you do it. :cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started track days on my street 750, ended up buying a cheap k6 600 trackbike after nearly tossing mysef on my head a handful of times.

My advice is that if racing is something you really want to do, sell the street bike before you wad it up and is still worth a pretty penny. Buy someone's 600 or sv650 race package off of wera, stt or other track day classifieds. This will save you a TON of money in the long run.

After beginning racing last year, doing my first full season this year, I king of wish I had gotten a 650 just because they are cheaper on tires and parts, however I have some great competition and made some good friends I race against in my class. My .02

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
The 750 is a great track day bike, not so much a good race bike imo...

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
The 750 is a great track day bike, not so much a good race bike imo...
+ juan. the 750 is an obsolete displacement now. you are going to be stuck running against bigger displacements and guys with deeper pockets. yes, some places still have 750 or similar classes, but a 600 or 650 is eligible for waaaay more.

do trackdays and see if you want to race after that. you are going to find that costs can run away on you pretty fast. getting started will run you over 10 000. seriously. even if you already own a bike for it. my first year racing was last year and i went through over $4k in tires. i missed half the season with injury too.

get rid of the 750. with the efforts and costs to race prep it, you are better off buying a used bike all ready to go. if the bike is in good condition, you can sell it for 5k, and that will buy you a race bike with a metric fuck-tonne of work already done to it, already drilled for wire, and with buckets of spare parts.

when some guys get out of racing they will sell what is called a "race package" where stands, warmers, inverter, pit tent, etc. are all included with a bike.

don't brag about not having chicken strips. that doesn't mean shit. since you have never been on a track, i can deduce that your BP is a mile to the left of all fucked up and you are eating up way too much lean angle. go do some track days and race classes. it will fix it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man if your having problems with self control now you better stay away from the track. Addiction is a progressive disease and the track is like crack. It will take ALL your money, your time and consume every waking moment of lucid conscienceness. Not sayin it aint worth it. Just a friendly warning.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a problem going the speed limit I should have said. Thanks for all the input for now im just going to try and get a race suit, boots, and gloves. Do a few track days then go from there

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is nothing wrong with racing a 750. In CCS you will be able to do the Heavyweight and Unlimited classes. Unless the tracks around you have a lot of high speed straight and fast corners, the lap times for amateurs won't be much different from 600's up to 1000's. Amateurs with liter bikes usually don't know how to put the power down and get embarrassed by good riders on 600's...or crash, unfortunately. My first Unlimited race at NJMP (on a K4750) I came in 5th, and beat every liter bike in the class. Do SEVERAL track days, learn proper riding technique and don't rely on the power of the motor to pass people. Nothing wrong with the 750.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Resurected from the deaths of summer....but I have a couple pennies to add.

I started TDs on a 1000 and although it was fun my buddies kept telling me to get a smaller bike to get faster...I got a K4 750 and immediately gained massive amounts of time. Then I did a couple races with TPM and got hooked, blowin by the liter bikes carries an incredible feeling (once you go expert the liters will destroy though). Long and the short I now have a K6 750 and race Heavyweight and Unlimited with CCS. ^with madwards...nothing wrong with the 750.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
AdrenalinPlease
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing