Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I spotted that yesterday. The fact that its O-ringed implied that its low compression for a turbo so would work well on my Supercharged engine thats going in my 88.
Check the Ebay item under the "1st Gen Ohlins" Post
Bones

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean that Ohlins from supercycle-com ?

I have a freshly rebuilt Fox Shock over at Joey's

the reserve on that big bore is $300 by the way

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hard to say for sure from the pic but those pistons look to have a decent dome on 'em... if there's much at all that's probably not a low-compression setup.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Fastcat is the current high bidder...maybe you should call her.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">call her? my wife would chop a nut off

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Fastcat is the current high bidder...maybe you should call her.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">call her? my wife would chop a nut off
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL

...doesn't all that depend on *what* ya call me?

<eh-hmmm>

...anyway, I wasn't *positive* that I wanted that kit when I saw it... so I bid low just so the guy wouldn't end the auction early (hopefully). Pyullap is like 15 minutes from my house... but now I'm not sure that 13:1 is a good idea for a streetbike on pump gas...

...nevermind that I just spent a *ton* of money on other goodies...

...what's the verdict ya'all? is this a streetable motor or dragstrip-only kinda kit?

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you could always stack gaskets

I think I am going with 1109 and some web cams

Dwayne will be porting the head this winter

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Fastcat,

I'm guessing that 13:1 is gonna be a wildcard on pump gas... I got away with pump 93 @ 12.2:1 in the B12 but was running long cams with quite a bit of overlap.

Ya might drop an 0.010" - 0.020" basegasket under it to soften it up a little; based on some rough calculations each 0.010" would be worth somewhere around a half-point.

Downside is that loosening piston-to-head clearance (squish) has a reputation for costing power- it'd be better to open the chambers slightly (or have the domes cut down a bit) to get the CR down... more work, but a better solution... which is best for you?

Ed

[ 11-07-2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: gsxr1198 ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by gsxr1198:
Fastcat,

I'm guessing that 13:1 is gonna be a wildcard on pump gas... I got away with pump 93 @ 12.2:1 in the B12 but was running long cams with quite a bit of overlap.

Ya might drop an 0.010" - 0.020" basegasket under it to soften it up a little; based on some rough calculations each 0.010" would be worth somewhere around a half-point.

Downside is that loosening piston-to-head clearance (squish) has a reputation for costing power- it'd be better to open the chambers slightly (or have the domes cut down a bit) to get the CR down... more work, but a better solution... which is best for you?

Ed

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hate to say it, but I fear that the best for me would be to bow out and let someone else have `em. I wasn't actually planning on taking the head off this winter (45K miles but it's tight and I think I can go one more summer before I do a valve-job). I just saw those and thought to myself how cool it would be to have em installed
... then all day today I been thinking about what a financial drain it's gonna be (in addition to all the other stuff I got on the back-burner) to actually install `em.

...anyway, if anyone wants `em and was being nice to me cuz I'm a member here, feel free to have at it... I only bid $200.

I'll have some pics of my ceramic-coated Hindle as soon as I get it back from performance-coatings on Monday or Tuesday...
...and then I gotta get going on this swingarm and wheel... and I'm waiting for MDill to get back to me about that `92/`91 style upper and headlight... I got too many irons in the fire to go and start some spur-of-the-moment engine work.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Jacki, did you say hi to Brad at Performance Coatings for me? He's a really great guy. Troy 341

[ 11-07-2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: 341 ]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
<nods> Not surprised- the way the light hit them in the photo they looked like high-compression pistons. The 11:1's I had in my 1157 only had a modest dome, and the 1216 x 10.8:1 set was virtually flat-topped.

Gonna get 'em?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by 341:
Jacki, did you say hi to Brad at Performance Coatings for me? He's a really great guy. Troy 341
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I sure did. I'm not sure I was clear enough that he knew who I meant though... He seemed really busy, but he made time to take care of me and was friendly and un-hurried about it. Their stuff looks great too BTW... that was a great tip! My roomie with the FJ is doing a top-end in a few weeks and is goin' crazy with all the internal bits that she wants to have coated.

I can't wait to get pics... I forgot to snap the "before" pics though

[ 11-08-2002, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I got too many irons in the fire to go and start some spur-of-the-moment engine work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol Can relate to that.

Nice thing about engine parts, though- they don't go "stale" if you put 'em on the shelf for a while. If you do end up with the parts, don't stress it... whenever you're ready for another project you can probably have a machine shop cut the domes to 11.5:1 for $50-ish and have a nice-running combination.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts