Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the pacific northwest. It seems to me that there are fewer riders at track days this year than there was the last few years and a bunch of us were discissing it. We figure there are a million reasons why people don't return to the track.

So the real question is.... What can T-day providers do to get YOU to ride more track days?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Make their prices cheaper? Pickup and move the track closer to where people live, lol?

I think the very fact that TD orgs make the service available is enough no? You can perhaps look into local dealers to offer incentives. We were at the track on Sunday and I think I local dealership in NYC rented a big ass Uhaul and offered free transport for like 14 riders bikes'.

That's a pretty good incentive, all a person would have to do is pack their stuff in their car and follow the caravan down to the track. I think transport to and from the track is one of the biggest headaches for newcomers and the ill prepared from an equipment standpoint.

·
Frame Slider Tester
1,873 Posts
I'm from the pacific northwest. It seems to me that there are fewer riders at track days this year than there was the last few years and a bunch of us were discissing it. We figure there are a million reasons why people don't return to the track.

So the real question is.... What can T-day providers do to get YOU to ride more track days?
I'm from PNW also. My $0.02 is financial. With the economy in a slump things have to be cut out of the household budget. Power bills and mortgages are more of a priority than track days.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
That's a pretty good incentive, all a person would have to do is pack their stuff in their car and follow the caravan down to the track. I think transport to and from the track is one of the biggest headaches for newcomers and the ill prepared from an equipment standpoint.
I'd move my finances around MORE if that was available. My biggest limiting factor is getting to and from the track.

However, another gigantic step forward, in my eyes at least, is to offer the use of paypal to pay for the track day. Paypal accounts in good standing can get 6 months same as cash on purchases over 100 using "bill me later," and that would get me on the track much more often than my higher APR credit cards.

Or go like Speedway and do, buy 6 track days, get your 7th free. :lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would say price is what discourages people the most. Between the actual price of the day and fuel alone can be outrageous. I spent $200 in just fuel. That includes the drive to and from the track.
If the price of the track day were cheaper, I am sure more people would be getting into it. The free transport from the dealer is a fantastic way to get new riders there. Not going to lie though, I do enjoy when the groups at track days are smaller:p

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find it sooooo boring riding on the road!!.. maybe because I'v "outgrown" it and racing mx/offroad has made me addicted to adrenaline..lol We live in a small city and lack enough track days a year...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm probably a minority here, but I haven't ridden a track day because I don't have boots and full leathers. Perhaps offering rental gear to use for beginners or people who haven't bought full gear yet would get some new guys out to the track.

Just a thought, but some people might be weird about sharing gear (I personally wouldn't care).

Also, one of the orgs around here has a drawing for 2 free spots at each track day for NEW riders who have never ridden on the track before. I think that's cool, because I guarantee most of those guys will come back to another one and pay.

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
I'm probably a minority here, but I haven't ridden a track day because I don't have boots and full leathers. Perhaps offering rental gear to use for beginners or people who haven't bought full gear yet would get some new guys out to the track.

Just a thought, but some people might be weird about sharing gear (I personally wouldn't care).

Also, one of the orgs around here has a drawing for 2 free spots at each track day for NEW riders who have never ridden on the track before. I think that's cool, because I guarantee most of those guys will come back to another one and pay.
That's STT, and leather rental is included in that free day. Had a buddy win a free day and he had to rent leathers. Only things required are boots, gloves and helmet.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts

Most trackday orgs have gear rental.

·
I dont love OG's cack anymore
1,590 Posts
Track is 4 hours away (without traffic) then you spend the day there, you need to figure in the cost of staying in a hotel if you are not dead.. unless you bring a camper or an RV and the place has over night camping.. That is not ridiculously priced.

I think a major thought as well is "Hey, can I afford the repairs of a new bike ON TOP OF a track day if anything goes wrong?" A lot of people are afraid they are going to wreck and smash their bike on a track day. However, they drive recklessly on the streets.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Group I ride with most of the time is packed and here is how they run theirs

It cost $100 for your first track day after that they range between $130-170 depending on if you are riding thunderhill or not.

They offer pay-pal for payments which is nice for the bill me later perks.

Several people offer up transport on their Facebook page or if you post on there asking you are pretty much guaranteed a ride.

They are beyond nice and run very safe, fun, family friendly track days. It doesn't feel like a professional atmosphere like some track orgz but more like hanging out with family.

They also offer bundle packs which help cut down on cost if you know you will be riding a lot. With the bundle packs you can also pitch in with a buddy and buy a 4 bundle pack and do a weekend or 4 people can buy a bundle for one day bringing the cost way down

They also allow camping at the track for free and most track days are on the weekends or holidays camping for the track normally opens Friday around 6pm and you can stay through Sunday evening

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Track is 4 hours away (without traffic) then you spend the day there, you need to figure in the cost of staying in a hotel if you are not dead.. unless you bring a camper or an RV and the place has over night camping.. That is not ridiculously priced.

I think a major thought as well is "Hey, can I afford the repairs of a new bike ON TOP OF a track day if anything goes wrong?" A lot of people are afraid they are going to wreck and smash their bike on a track day. However, they drive recklessly on the streets.
Insurance covers them on the street.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Alot of ins companies cover trackdays as well as long as they are not timed/competitve events like racing. A trackday is simply considered an advanced rider training course.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
...What can T-day providers do to get YOU to ride more track days?
Raise the prices slightly to more strictly limit the number of riders.

Add another mid paced group to further limit the number of on track riders.

Do a better job policing the guys who think it's a race and needlessly pass way beyond their abilities.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Raise the prices slightly to more strictly limit the number of riders.
That's counter productive ... They're trying to get more people to do TD and more often.

Lower the price is more incentive for people to do it. I want to do TD but closest to me is Sonoma (1hr) which cost 290 and thunder hill (2hr) cost 170 ... Then add in fuel, transportation, other necessities let alone gears to be able to ride on the track and money to buy parts for repair in case you crash. Its a huge amount of cost for a day of fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
RE: lowering the price for a trackday...

I'm a trackday provider and my customers have spoken with their wallets, and they'd rather pay $25 or $50 more for the trackday - and have a better experience (by getting in more quality track miles).

My suggestion to riders is to record your mileage ridden at your trackdays - and figure out your "dollars per mile".

Use this number to help you decide which org to ride with.

My guess is most people will remember having a great trackday way longer than spending a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RE: lowering the price for a trackday...

I'm a trackday provider and my customers have spoken with their wallets, and they'd rather pay $25 or $50 more for the trackday - and have a better experience (by getting in more quality track miles).

My suggestion to riders is to record your mileage ridden at your trackdays - and figure out your "dollars per mile".

Use this number to help you decide which org to ride with.

My guess is most people will remember having a great trackday way longer than spending a few extra dollars.

My original question "What can T-day providers do to get YOU to ride more track days?", stemmed from a conversation (with a bunch of TD riders) about what motivates a rider to do track days. There are probably as many reasons as there are riders. Fun, going fast, friends, learning, progressing, doing better than the last TD, etc.

So why isn't every track day, with every provider, sold out?

Money? Take it to the extreme. If providers could charge 1$ a day and the riders get the same track day experience that they get now, I would assume that every event would be sold out.

One of the ski areas on Mt. Hood used to have 10$ (normally 25$) Saturday evening lift tickets, which was the only way I could afford to take my whole family skiing more than 3 or 4 times a year. It would get so crowded that it was no fun. The lift attendants told me that there was at least 5 times more skiers/snowboarders than any other night.

I'm sure track days would be the same. And really really low prices would attract the kind of riders that make the providers (and their regular customers) lives miserable. If lowering the price would detract from my track day experience, then I am all for keeping it the same.

My wife rides also so track days are very expensive, relative to my income. We really do want to do more of them than we do, and I could probably afford it, but it would break the budget and 401k contributions.

Do you have a strategy, or method, to convince someone like me to do more track days with you?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My wife rides also so track days are very expensive, relative to my income. We really do want to do more of them than we do, and I could probably afford it, but it would break the budget and 401k contributions.

Do you have a strategy, or method, to convince someone like me to do more track days with you?
At TTD, we offer a Family Membership (Husband/wife or Father/son, etc).

That costs $350 each up front, but each time you sign up, you get $100 off.

So if you do 10 days each, you would save $1300 ($650 each) over the normal price.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Price will always be the #1 issue and its not an easy resolution.

There's really no best solution as too low price will over crowd the event. Which then becomes a safety issue. Low price requires more attendees to break even or to make a profit for the TD provider. Which causes overcrowding and be a safety issue.

Place a limit of attendees will cause prices to go up so the TD provider at least break even, preferably make a profit after all their expenses.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts