Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shying away from getting another Suzuki since all of my previous ones have had electrical gremlins that drove me crazy. I found a good deal on an 07 1000 and I may not be able to turn it down. What are the major issues that these bikes have? Are the charging systems different and better than the 600s of the same year?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Bike's too fast and handles too good and eats tires too fast. Seriously, I've had 0 problems, even with my first year 07 bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bike's too fast and handles too good and eats tires too fast. Seriously, I've had 0 problems, even with my first year 07 bike.
I have to disagree, my bike hasn't been that hard on tires. Although I freely admit that I haven't done any track days. Other than that I agree completely.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Main problem???

People not willing to modify & build them into the bikes they could be :)

Just kidding. I've had K1, K3, K4, now with K8 (lost most of the older ones in a housefire)

they are ALL great bikes.

What sort of "electrical gremlins" have you had in the earlier models??? There are various issues that crop up, but I wouldn't shy away from any of the earlier models just because of electrical problems....... IE, I'd think most problems experienced would be more due to that particular bike than the model..... and wouldn't be significant enough to make me want one model over the other.

*shrugs* but then again I'm good at working on this stuff (or at least I think so sometimes) :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only issue I had with mine, was the solenoid, and I blame my ex bf for washing the bike and letting it sit without starting it or drying it lol, since it worked perfectly fine before hand :p

In the process now of doing a "makeover" slammed the ground at 30km/hr (I can ride fast, not slow lol), so getting all new plasic, changing the color and such, new chain and sprockets. Ebay is my new friend :)

I was asked to sell, but I love mine, handles awesome, has enough power for me by a long shot, engine is in pristine condition after having the valves done at 30,000, @ 33,000 now. Would I trade brands, no way, everyone has they're preferences, and here we have a friendly Gixxer vs Kawi spat...and it seems the Kawi guys are always bugging to ride my Gixxer :p

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
The only issue I had with mine, was the solenoid, and I blame my ex bf for washing the bike and letting it sit without starting it or drying it lol, since it worked perfectly fine before hand :p

In the process now of doing a "makeover" slammed the ground at 30km/hr (I can ride fast, not slow lol), so getting all new plasic, changing the color and such, new chain and sprockets. Ebay is my new friend :)

I was asked to sell, but I love mine, handles awesome, has enough power for me by a long shot, engine is in pristine condition after having the valves done at 30,000, @ 33,000 now. Would I trade brands, no way, everyone has they're preferences, and here we have a friendly Gixxer vs Kawi spat...and it seems the Kawi guys are always bugging to ride my Gixxer :p
Good luck with getting the bike fixed. Be prepared to have a fix a few more things than originally thought.... just little stuff most of the time. Might find a cracked fairing, bent bracket that you didn't see the first time. Or find you need some little hardware.

Just how it goes, part of the game :)

Btw, keep an eye out for any tweaks on the forks if the front wheel hit anything solid. If they still move nice and smooth up and down like they did before, not a bunch of extra stickiness (stiction), then you are usually OK. And, double check the wheels if they hit hard, make sure they aren't bent or anything. (just spinning the wheels with the bike on a stand will give you a real good indication.... )

Just passing on a few pieces of advice b/c I've worked on plenty of bikes that had "little spills"

K7 / K8's are great bikes!!! They are my favorite. But... thats MAINLY because thats what I have now. All the 1K's are such great bikes I could get any year and fall in love with it :)

Btw, none of my business, but since you said your "ex BF" screwed up your bike, are you a chick or a gay dude?? I just ask b/c I have no idea

I dont care either way (and hope I dont offend either way). A chick OR a gay dude on a K7/K8 1000 is cool in my book!!!

·
Les lions Indomptables !
680 Posts
Btw, none of my business, but since you said your "ex BF" screwed up your bike, are you a chick or a gay dude?? I just ask b/c I have no idea

I dont care either way (and hope I dont offend either way). A chick OR a gay dude on a K7/K8 1000 is cool in my book!!!
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
well, I gotta say that to be honest, every single time i see a guy on a harley, I think "what a fag". That dude could be straight as an arrow but my knee jerk reaction is "fag"

*shrugs*

But i started thinking about it, and a guy who was actually GAY but rode a GSXR1000 would be.... cooler in my book than the straight guy on the harley. I'm not gay, I dont want to be gay, but i can at least have some respect for someone who has good choice in bikes! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
LMAO!! ALL GIRL :p I didn't go down hard, just come off a turn and bang, dirt road, luckily I was going slower than I normally would as I was leading another chick getting practice on her new bike, luckily she got stopped, could've been worse, I almost saved it, hence not that much damage, cracked the side fairing, scratched the stator cover (never leaked) scraped a bit on the front side as well, broke the frame slider, never touched the levers, mirrors. It had broken the shifter, but that was replaced the next day. I have since replaced the chain and sprockets, got all the parts (fairings, stator cover and extras I really didn't need lol), just waiting on painting the tank. The bike had gone for a valve adjustemnt, and was checked over quickly by the tech, and given thumbs up.

Funny story, we stopped for fuel, and some random guy comes up and starts checking out the bike and saying how he has the same bike, and how he loves his "750" and one of the guys I was with says "That's a 1000 bud, she don;t drive like no girl, and someday you'll have balls enough to get a real bike" LMAO!! I almost died of laughter!

Ummmm...but really with a name like aqua you thought I was a dude :/

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
LMAO!! ALL GIRL :p I didn't go down hard, just come off a turn and bang, dirt road, luckily I was going slower than I normally would as I was leading another chick getting practice on her new bike, luckily she got stopped, could've been worse, I almost saved it, hence not that much damage, cracked the side fairing, scratched the stator cover (never leaked) scraped a bit on the front side as well, broke the frame slider, never touched the levers, mirrors. It had broken the shifter, but that was replaced the next day. I have since replaced the chain and sprockets, got all the parts (fairings, stator cover and extras I really didn't need lol), just waiting on painting the tank. The bike had gone for a valve adjustemnt, and was checked over quickly by the tech, and given thumbs up.

Funny story, we stopped for fuel, and some random guy comes up and starts checking out the bike and saying how he has the same bike, and how he loves his "750" and one of the guys I was with says "That's a 1000 bud, she don;t drive like no girl, and someday you'll have balls enough to get a real bike" LMAO!! I almost died of laughter!

Ummmm...but really with a name like aqua you thought I was a dude :/

Nope, didn't assume you were a guy. just didn't know.

A chick on a bike? cool
A chick on a sportbike? very cool
a chick on a GSXR1000?? fucking awesome :)

Good luck with the fixes, hope all works out :)

EDIT - if it makes ya feel any better, I'm a guy (straight btw), but really short (5'4") If I make a post about my height & a bike, I usually get people assuming I'm a chick, so, it cuts both ways! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nope, didn't assume you were a guy. just didn't know.

A chick on a bike? cool
A chick on a sportbike? very cool
a chick on a GSXR1000?? fucking awesome :)

Good luck with the fixes, hope all works out :)

EDIT - if it makes ya feel any better, I'm a guy (straight btw), but really short (5'4") If I make a post about my height & a bike, I usually get people assuming I'm a chick, so, it cuts both ways! :)
Lol! Yeah get quite the looks at times :p

Thanks, stopping at the body shop in the am, to see about getting the tank painted, once that is done, it's going to be a rainy weekend garage marathon, followed with a few beers!

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
What's funny is................... Every single one of those issues you all speak of. Exist on every single make and model of any sportbike. As far as those things are concerned. None is better or worst than any other. They all have aluminum or cast wheels and frames. They all basically have the same rectifiers and other electrical components. They all have the same exact stock forks, calipers. On and on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put over 30,000 on my GSXR1000 (07 model). Never had one single problem. I can honestly say I wish I had never sold it? I thought I was bored and wanted something else. Great bike, real easy to work on. Responds well to simple mods. For me ultra reliable.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,841 Posts
Yup....too many inexperienced riders buy and crash them :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, sorry for posting here but I really need help. I just installed a PC V on my 1000 K7. I followed the instructions and it all went ok (I think). I loaded a map and I instantly felt the difference in the engine running. However, now the red LED stays lit and I get an FI error. Another issue is that when I rev it hard the PC V cuts the gas after 7000 RPM and if I rev it gradually it goes upto 12000 RPM. I tried calibrating the TPS but no result. Have any of you had the same error after installing the PC or heard about a similar issue?? Please help me out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi guys, sorry for posting here but I really need help. I just installed a PC V on my 1000 K7. I followed the instructions and it all went ok (I think). I loaded a map and I instantly felt the difference in the engine running. However, now the red LED stays lit and I get an FI error. Another issue is that when I rev it hard the PC V cuts the gas after 7000 RPM and if I rev it gradually it goes upto 12000 RPM. I tried calibrating the TPS but no result. Have any of you had the same error after installing the PC or heard about a similar issue?? Please help me out.
How about starting a new thread. You'll get more replies that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts