Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you do to tell if it needs replaced? How much does it cost and can a novice mechanic handle the job?

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
A crappy ticking/clicking noise coming from the right side of your motor..more noticable at lower RPM's..

Just get the APE manual CCT, and be done with it..not sure if a novice machnic could do it, and get it right..? Cost of the APE with gasket, shipped, is around $65.00..

[ 05-10-2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Hammer 4 ]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much if I took it to the shop? Will it make any difference in performance. I think mine is making a noise. I have almost 13k on it...

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by gsxr60097:
How much if I took it to the shop? Will it make any difference in performance. I think mine is making a noise. I have almost 13k on it...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't kniw what a shop would charge ya, prolly 2 hrs. labor..
If you have any doubt..take it in..

If it goes out, it'll cost ya big time..

·
Registered
514 Posts
parts are cheap (70?) and it looks pretty eazy too do. it might take a good mech two hrs including a test ride. anyhows, i get a nice rattle can sound... i'll get to it soons as schools over for the semester.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
get yourself a manual one from www.aperaceparts.com
i put one in my race bike and it took 5 minutes.

but i did it the quick way. i just put it in with not much tension, and ran it in until the motor quieted down. the right way to do it is to remove the valve cover and measure the slack you have in the timing chain between the sprockets. it should be about a 1/4 inch.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Start to finish the "Correct" way takes me about 1.5 hours... I have done it so many times it doesnt take me long at all... If it is your first time then it will take you bit longer... about 2.5 hours or so... but it isnt HARD just takes time.

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by bmfgsxr:
get yourself a manual one from www.aperaceparts.com
i put one in my race bike and it took 5 minutes.

but i did it the quick way. i just put it in with not much tension, and ran it in until the motor quieted down. the right way to do it is to remove the valve cover and measure the slack you have in the timing chain between the sprockets. it should be about a 1/4 inch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">five minutes!!! it will take me that long to just take the seat and tank off!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
And if you are going to put in a CCT you might as well check the valves since your there anyway...

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention. I listened carefully at the sound and it doesn't change with rpms. Could it just be the sound of the engine and me being paranoid. I had in the shop awhile ago and they didn't mention anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea it might be the sound of the motor... Hard to say without hearing it... Even with hearing it, it is something that can hard to find out.

To check the valves, you need to get a valve feeler. Then turning the motor over by hand you need to check the clearance between the bucket and the cam.

You should get a bood for your bike if you plan on doing your own work. It really comes in handy.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by R what:
I thought the 97 600s didn't have the CCT problem?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ANY bike can have the problem. I was at APE to drop my crank off and saw CCTs for the hondas, kawi, yamahas... All of the bike COULD someday have a problem... So you just have to play your cards right... i would never run a motor again without it.

John

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
i havent been able to sleep a wink since hearing of these cct going out...from what i can tell it can happen when at a high rpm you suddenly chop off the throttle(like in a racing situation)..
ive got 25k on my bike and was wondering how often you have to adjust these guys..and if a new timming chain would be wise to install at the same time?? ill be putting in a new valve cover gasket soon...so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If you have 25K miles on the bike you better start looking to get your chain. I would also put a APE CCT in it... just to make sure. If you do that then no problems... I dont trust the timming chains on anything like our bike anymore...

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts