Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into getting my girlfriend on a bike she have never rode one so i was looking into a CBR 125R any other good starter bikes other there?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Why does she have to ride a shitty bike like that then hahhahaha? If you love her get her something decent. Does she genuinely want to get into biking, or is she just doing it to make you happy?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I started on a ninja250....it was a great bike to start on. Very forgiving and easy to learn with. I had never been on a bike before either and bought the ninja about a week after finishing the MSF course. Plus, with the newer '08+ models, you don't feel like you're starting out on a super tiny bike since they made them at least look more like the bigger bikes. I know if I'd started on a bigger bike, i likely would have crashed it...just from beginner mistakes of not being so smooth on the throttle/brake.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd never been on a bike before...took the MSF class and finished on August 30th 2009 and bought a GSX-R 600 a week later. I love it. I fell while going about 2 miles an hour about 3 times... each time while trying to turn but stopping at the last minute...because of second guessing. Haven't fallen since...

I really am glad I at least started on a 600. I'm not bored at all yet, don't think I will be for awhile, and at least it's a bike I can grow into it... and keep up once I'm super experienced...

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
If she has never ridden, have her take MSF and that should tell her if this is something she is interested in doing before you go and buy a bike. I started on an EX500 and I loved it. It was a great, fun bike with plenty of power.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I started on a GPX250 and loved it
dont start her on a 125 these things are only good for the first couple of months and then the riding ability should be way past the capabilities of a 125

One of my best friends has been on a 125 for 2 years and when given the chance to ride a 250 she was too scared to go faster than 80km/h and that was the max!!, she averaged 65km/h. Thats because the 125 doesnt go too fast, so thats all she was used to. She was like a learner all over again on something as simple as a 250cc

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife has been on a Ninja 500 for about a yr and now wants a r6. My 16 yr old daughter will be takin the 500 until she is ready to move up. They are super for learning the basics on as they have plenty of power for freeway/high use but you can be idling in 1st pin the throttle and that front end is not going to come up on them. Its a very forgiving bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know that a girl's starter bike should be any different than a guy's starter bike but that's just my opinion. Many of us are inseam challenged so seat height is often a consideration for the ladies. My bike progression from start 'til now:

MSF course on a Honda Rebel
'01 Kawasaki BN125 - starter bike - 800 miles then outgrew it.
'03 Honda CBR 600 F4i, lowered 2.5 inches - 8000 miles, met an unfortunate end (long and ugly story).
'05 Gixxer 600 Street/Track transformer - 34,000 miles then upgraded to
'08 Gixxer 750 Street/Track transformer - 5,000 miles and counting

Your girl should be a big part of the decision making process. Be safe, start smaller, and work towards a bigger bike if she wants it. It's a lot easier to learn on something less powerful even if the "cool" factor isn't there right away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know that a girl's starter bike should be any different than a guy's starter bike but that's just my opinion. Many of us are inseam challenged so seat height is often a consideration for the ladies. My bike progression from start 'til now:

MSF course on a Honda Rebel
'01 Kawasaki BN125 - starter bike - 800 miles then outgrew it.
'03 Honda CBR 600 F4i, lowered 2.5 inches - 8000 miles, met an unfortunate end (long and ugly story).
'05 Gixxer 600 Street/Track transformer - 34,000 miles then upgraded to
'08 Gixxer 750 Street/Track transformer - 5,000 miles and counting

Your girl should be a big part of the decision making process. Be safe, start smaller, and work towards a bigger bike if she wants it. It's a lot easier to learn on something less powerful even if the "cool" factor isn't there right away.

Good luck!
Bravo.

Do this. Oh, and there is no such thing as a working bike to be considered a shitty bike. It's a bike... if it can run, it should be ridden. If the bike is for her, then SHE should be a big part of the decision process...

·
Registered
533 Posts
how much ride time do u get at the MSC? my girl wants a bike but IMO a 600 is a lot of bike for me i started at the begining of april 09, i am probably only using about 20% of its full potential in comparison to a AMA or someone like that. lol

she has a lot of time on 4 wheelers but is new to a clutch and 2 wheels.

she has rode mine aroudn a new housing development, just fine but still not "confident". she kills it about 50% of the time. and IMO, being a female new to bikes would be more dangerous that a male new to bikes, as far as throttle control. but the girls would definatly be safer i think. idk. its not so much a sexist statement but it kinda is. imo. and i know there is a lot of girls who can outride me on their worst day. but im talking about the average girl.

i didnt mean to start a sexist thread so dont hate.

IDK, most bikes under a 600 are ugly, imo and hers.

·
I'm a picky man meat eater
213 Posts
I'd never been on a bike before...took the MSF class and finished on August 30th 2009 and bought a GSX-R 600 a week later. I love it. I fell while going about 2 miles an hour about 3 times... each time while trying to turn but stopping at the last minute...because of second guessing. Haven't fallen since...

I really am glad I at least started on a 600. I'm not bored at all yet, don't think I will be for awhile, and at least it's a bike I can grow into it... and keep up once I'm super experienced...
I did the same thing...and thank god for frame sliders b/c they saved the bike from my "OH CHIT I CAN'T HOLD IT" moments.

I for one think most women are more level headed when it comes to power. I took steps and listened to the right people and feel that I've gown beyond what most do in a year and a half. Trackdays also played a part in the last 4 months.

Just get her what she falls in love with b/c in the end if she doesn't like it, she isn't going to want to ride it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A ninja 250 or and SV650. I would never get my wife a 600, too easy to make a big mistake on a bike that size. The other two bikes are great starter bikes and are a lot of fun, with less expense. Take the MSF, buy a 250 or SV650 and let her decide when she is ready to move to a 600 after she has some miles.

My wife rides a 09 250 and loves it, I doubt she'll ever see a 600 :)

C

·
0 Posts
I started on an SV650 & then went up to a GSXR600. The SV was a great starter bike...not too much of a bitch (like the 125 would be, lol, no offense) but not too much that it'd kill me if I did something newbish.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd never been on a bike before...took the MSF class in early 2006 and bought a GSX-R 600 a year & half later. Since I had to re-teach myself, I created a "training" schedule and practiced in my neighborhood for three months before getting on the highway. I wanted to get to a point that I didn't have to think about what I had to do next or look down. I dropped my bike 4 times (all at stops or on my driveway) in the first month and picked it up myself (I'm 5'1"). I love it and haven't dropped it since...oh ya, I waited 6 months before fixing her up just in case!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I rode a ninja 250 around the subdivision then jumped on my boyfriends stunt bike 93 cbr 600 f2 rode that for a few months then jumped on an 04 r6 for a season. Now Ive upgraded to an 06 gxsr 600. I never would have bought a 250 cause I new I would get bored with quick but it was nice to put around just to see what if feels like.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts