Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i'm guessing when i go to the track it may be raining this year, so with that in mind i was wondering what tyres you guys run in the wet?
i don't want full race tyres, they will need to be used on the street as well, i will be running Q3s in the dry, they are more than enough for my skill level (beginner) just wasn't sure if there was something else recommended for wet weather?
searched but nothing came up.

cheers

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
I just skip the td if it's raining. Not really worth to waste gas when it's wet. :dunno
If you really want to ride, maybe Michelin Pilot Road 3 or similar tires.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Riding/racing in the rain is a great experience. A good rain tire from either Dunlop or Pirelli would be a great choice, and don't require tire warmers.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah i'll be on the track when it's wet, doesn't bother me, it's a good skill to have. i ride all year round, so i'm used to being soaked.
did think about the pilot road 4s, just didn't know if they'd be any good at high speed on a track.

Anthony do you have any reccomendations for either pirelli or dunlop?

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
57,820 Posts
hey guys,
i'm guessing when i go to the track it may be raining this year, so with that in mind i was wondering what tyres you guys run in the wet?
i don't want full race tyres, they will need to be used on the street as well, i will be running Q3s in the dry, they are more than enough for my skill level (beginner) just wasn't sure if there was something else recommended for wet weather?
searched but nothing came up.

cheers
According to Dunlop the Q3 is designed to provide adequate grip in the wet. If you're a beginner TD rider, when it gets wet I imagine your pace is going to be backed off quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S73FolMrjss#t=216

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to Dunlop the Q3 is designed to provide adequate grip in the wet. If you're a beginner TD rider, when it gets wet I imagine your pace is going to be backed off quite a bit.
yeah it's backed off a lot, i haven't done a track day in the wet, but i know of the road i take it a lot easier.

i'll give it a shot on the Q3s and see how they go, i haven't ridden on them in the wet yet. but it should be fun.

XCSEDAN, don't stress too much about tires. As long as your Q3s pass the scrutineers your Dunlpos will be fine for a wet track.
they'll be new before a track day be lucky if i put 400km on them just to bed them in.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Is this for a streetbike, or a dedicated track bike? Do you have spare wheels?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
yeah it's backed off a lot, i haven't done a track day in the wet, but i know of the road i take it a lot easier.

i'll give it a shot on the Q3s and see how they go, i haven't ridden on them in the wet yet. but it should be fun.

they'll be new before a track day be lucky if i put 400km on them just to bed them in.
I take it you have fixed your bike. Which track are you going to?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,820 Posts

I haven't ridden with the Q3 in the wet but I have used the Q2 on a damp and drying track, it was a little hair raising at first (I was on my 1000 at the time as well, 600 would have been much less touchy), but it was tolerable.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the bike is my streetbike, but i am going to take it to the track and it is most likely going to see multiple wet track days, i don't have spare wheels at the moment however i will be investing in some so i can have a summer/track/hot street tyre (Q3s) and a winter street & daily commute tyre (pilot road 4s currently)

boris i'll be hitting up the island and broadford when my back is healed a bit more, not quite back to the riding stage yet, but not far off i don't think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts