Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Round three of the WERA Southeast Schedule was at Nashville Super speedway this past weekend.

This track is/was probably my weakest track on the schedule, for no other reason than lack of time there.

the weekend before, STT had a practice weekend, but for reasons outside my control, I was not able to make it. Big time bummer, when I found out two of my biggest competition (who also call Nashville their home track basically) WERE at the STT event.

With that in mind, I registered for Saturdays Solo 20 and my normal two sprint classes (B superbike and C superbike). With that in mind, WERA officials let me practice in the 750 and up practice, on my 600, since I would be racing with them. That made it possible to hit four, rather than two, much needed practices each morning... or so I thought.

Sat morning we woke up to a wet track and drizzling/raining conditions. It would almost dry out, then start to heavy drizzle/rain agin. It was too wet for slicks by FAR, but too dry for Rains.

I was screwed :hammer.

I managed all of about three laps of practice at a snails pace just to re aquatint myself with which way the track goes at least. I didnt want to have to race with my last laps being over two years ago on that track.

Solo 20 race comes around. Track is mostly dry, but COLD, and very very green.

I am gridded dead last (12th). I get a very good start, and go into T2 in 4th IIRC, and am third by the end of lap one. By the end of lap two I make my way to second, and am reeling in the guy in first. I have my head down and begin to set a strategy for the 20 lap race, knowing he and I were checking out from the field.

Lap three, I hit the front banking somewhat hard (it is a rough transition) and hammer down the front straight, intending to make the pass into T2 this lap. At the end of the straight (6th gear wide open) I reach for the brakes and to make my downshifts....... and my brake lever is like a BRICK< with no brakes what so ever. Turns out I sheered the throttle housing locator pin off, and my throttle cables had rotated up in between the brake lever and clipon.

I almost shit myself, but managed to just run wide, and not crash. I get it straightened out and make it back on track still in third place. I tell myself at first that I can just be easy on the throttle, and finish. Get tot he back banking, try to brake at the end of the banking, and it happens again....... hand up, and take it in. DNF mechanical. Sad thing is, the first place guy tossed it away later in the race. He had to re-tech, lost two laps, and still came back to finish 5th by the end of it.

Better it happened in the solo than my sprints though. I missed out on Solo winnings, but no points.

Sunday the weather is MUCH better, and the bike is fixed. I do three of the morning practices and feel it is enough. I dont want to show my hand too much, and I felt REALLY good after the third practice surprisingly. I knew at least two guys were watching me, and planned to follow me. :nono. Not giving my secrets to them :shifty

Race One: CSB (600 Superbike). I am gridded on pole for this race, but really had not gone full tilt on a start at nashville yet, so was a bit shy on my entry to T1. Nashville is unique, because you start on pit road due to it being a nascar oval, with a road course. I give up the lead going in to T2, but fight hard for it, and by the exit of T3 take the lead again (with a little help from a missed shift from teh rider who was winning... who was the guy I chased int he solo BTW).

I thought for sure he had a trans issue, so I put my head down and told myself I would drop the hammer for at least 3 of 10 laps before checking to see if anyone was left on me. Lap three on the straight I look back, and he is not far behind me. Damn, going to have to race this race. I kept my head down, and was really wondering if he had a last lap charge in him. Turns out I never saw him and brought it home for first. My first win of the season, and I extended my points lead to 12 points.

Race two, BSB (750 superbike). Again I was gridded on pole for novice, but was on row 7, with row gaps to the expert racers in front (combined race) as well as a second wave behind me of a third race. Got a great start, and passed up to 3rd overall (all but two experts) into T2. Allistair Douglas and David white were out front and I held on for about three laps excited as hell to be racing the front running experts :D. Then I got wise, and told myself they didnt matter, and to let them get away or risk crashing. I looked back and had a healthy lead on the rest of the field (by healthy I mean I could not see anyone behind me as far as I can see). I checked up some and managed my race. several laps later I re-checked just in case, and noticed second place was gaining on me. I had to drop my head and make another run, but by then he had hooks in me and I was pulling him faster and faster too. I had to run pretty hard the last few laps, but was able to still bring it home on top of the box again, without him ever contesting for the lead extending my lead to 9 points in this class on the season

Three races, two wins and a DNF..... but the two that count the most were the wins so I can take that :D

Again I could not have done it without the help from...

Bosphorus Racing and Tracktactics.org. The support they give is more appreciated than they know.
Arlen Ness for the excellent gear to keep me safe
Lucas Oil products to keep both the outside and the inside of my bike nice and slick
Motomummy.com for the parts to make the bike go fast
Livengood Motorsports for the suspension that gives me the confidence to go fast
VHS photography, for everything over the years.

Thanks to all

Off to Barber in a few weeks.

Wish me luck

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Great job Joe! I really wanted to be there but work got in the way. Plus I would have had to ride my backup bike anyway, crashed in turn 1 last weekend at about a buck ten.

Bikes not bad so it should be ready for Barber! See you there.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Where were you when you crashed? At Nashville? That is an ugly place to crash for sure...... but cant figure out how you crash in T1 :scratch.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Yep at Nashville. Too tight a line for the speed I was carrying, tucked the front where it tightens up. It's definately a weird place to crash, doesn't happen often but it does on occasion. I know exactly what I did wrong and how to fix it next time.

I was working on segments of the track and trying to pick up a little speed there through that section, too much traffic to get clean laps but the gpx pro had my optimal laps in the mid 1:03's.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is smoking. I know I am leaving time in between T1 and T2 (slowing too much for T1, and having to damn near speed back up for T2, and also braking too early for T2) and coming off the back banking. I also had a less than ideal line through T3, but I dont think it hurt laptimes much.

I nearly highsided myself right at pit in on the carousel. I was getting a LOT of wheel spin through there, and a HUGE slide at that speed scared the shit outta me :lol

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
very nice, congrats brother!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
That is smoking. I know I am leaving time in between T1 and T2 (slowing too much for T1, and having to damn near speed back up for T2, and also braking too early for T2) and coming off the back banking. I also had a less than ideal line through T3, but I dont think it hurt laptimes much.

I nearly highsided myself right at pit in on the carousel. I was getting a LOT of wheel spin through there, and a HUGE slide at that speed scared the shit outta me :lol
T1 definately takes a few times there to get close to fast there and just when you think you're hauling somebody like that little fart Jake blows by you :lmao

Off the back straight I'm slow too, with that transition it's easy to lose it there. I'm very familiar with the pit in area, been "slideways" there a couple of times and it's not fun at all!!

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T1 definately takes a few times there to get close to fast there and just when you think you're hauling somebody like that little fart Jake blows by you :lmao
I was "fast" there, compared to everyone else in Novice, but I know I could be faster. Not so much T1... I was holding it WOT down into the stripes ont he apron, then banging two downshifts. It was more that I let it slow TOO much through T1, then broke too early for T2, and ended up coasting a bit into T2 before finishing slowing down. :squid
Off the back straight I'm slow too, with that transition it's easy to lose it there. I'm very familiar with the pit in area, been "slideways" there a couple of times and it's not fun at all!!
Off the back straight I was not so much slow, but inconsistent. I could not find the exact turn in point, and a good reference for flipping to the right. Meh. 1:06s with almost zero time there is not bad :D

Dude, I almost crashed there twice, once per race. One was I lit it up BIG time and got it all sideways. It did not hook back up until I slammed into the banking way early because the bike would not finish turning. The second time was lapping a guy and he took a LOT wider line through there than I planned and I was committed to an outside pass. That put me out in the marbles and had a nasty two wheel drift again into the banking too damn early. Both times were pretty intense :lol

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
1:06's is great for almost zero time, very few people pick it up that quickly for sure.

I'm looking forward to Barber, can't wait to get away from work for a few days. Hopefully all my parts will be here in plenty of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Jon848
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing