Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i walked in planning on buying a mossberg and the guy persuaded me into the remington which i like the woodwork on better than the wooden mossberg.

came with a 28"' barrel...

it holds 4+1 2 3/4 shells and im sure its also 4+1 with 3 inch she,ls cuz i can almost get another whole one in there

im looking at the magazine extensions they have.... they have a 7 and 8 shot extension....

i plan on getting a short barrel 18.5 or 20 for the house but it would be nice of i could have the extra capacity with my 28" barrel out just shooin around at stuff

or are they only designed fot 18.5 and 20" barrels?

but my question is will the magazine extensions work with the stock 28" barrel also or only specifically the short barrels?

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the field barrel? I guess if you're fucking off on your own, you can use an extended tube.

As far as hunting, that's a big no-no. I doubt most skeet/trap ranges would allow the extended tube either.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but the clamp may have to be modified to not hit the vent rib.

I can't say I've tried it, as I'm happy enough with a 4 shot capacity just to keep it uniform with my duty weapon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i been readin up on it, and u have to modify to stock magazine for it to accept the extension i will probably just leave it alone...

yeah im pretty much just fuckin around with the gun/home defense. i may go huntin but its just more for just pleasure shooting

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
yeah i been readin up on it, and u have to modify to stock magazine for it to accept the extension i will probably just leave it alone...

yeah im pretty much just fuckin around with the gun/home defense. i may go huntin but its just more for just pleasure shooting

Just do like I do on my police issued gun, and get a shell holder for the stock.

It's easy to shove a shell or two into the magazine tube quickly while the gun is in battery and ready to go. I figure if I have to fire 4 times in a row and don't have a chance to take cover and reload, I'm really in some deep damn shit and maybe I should have grabbed the rifle instead.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
yeah thats a good idea. where did you pick that thing up at what did it set ya back?

Well the one I have was somewhat of a gift. I got my police car when an old guy retired, and the shell holder was in the glovebox, I guess he took it off his shotgun first.

But they're maybe $10 from anywhere that sells gun stuff. I've been meaning to pick a couple up, one for the 12ga and one for my break action, in 20ga for the shotgun barrel and the rifle version for the .223 barrel.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet, u seem to be the only person on this forum who knows there shotguns lately.. haha

i will be picking one up on my next trip to the gunstore

on a side note my 870 remington express came with a "mod" choke factory installed. does that mean its just the standard 12 gauge barrel size choke equivalent to "0 choke" cause it does not seem to have much "choke" on it...

is it "ok" to shoot anything thru it without a choke in there or would it destroy the threads?

can you shoot a rifled/non-rifled slug thu a "mod" choke? or any choke for that matter?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I may have a 6 tacstar side saddle I'm not using. If you want it, and I can find it...it's yours if you pay for shipping. Just pm me.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
sweet, u seem to be the only person on this forum who knows there shotguns lately.. haha

i will be picking one up on my next trip to the gunstore

on a side note my 870 remington express came with a "mod" choke factory installed. does that mean its just the standard 12 gauge barrel size choke equivalent to "0 choke" cause it does not seem to have much "choke" on it...

is it "ok" to shoot anything thru it without a choke in there or would it destroy the threads?

can you shoot a rifled/non-rifled slug thu a "mod" choke? or any choke for that matter?
I'm not exactly the shotgun guru for field use, but I'm pretty familiar with them in the professional context. Too bad my old academy buddy quit the police field to run his own body shop. This guy was an avid hunter, and was out with a shotgun going after some sort of game every weekend since he was a little kid hunting ducks, quail, dove, rabbit, squirrel, etc.

These links should do you well.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-game-guide.html

http://www.choketubes.com/

From what I understand of things, a straight cylinder bore is what you are referring to as "zero choke."

Improved cylinder is the closest to that, the least restriction and the most open pattern. I have an improved cylinder barrel on my work gun and my personal gun in home defense mode.

Modified or "mod" is a step more restrictive than that. Most slugs say you can shoot them thru a modified choke but nothing more. My 20ga barrel on my 223/20ga combo gun has a 24" barrel with a fixed modified choke.

I got the chance to run some #6 game loads thru my shotgun on Monday up at Dad's place in the country. At 10 big paces, the 20ga put all of the #6 shot in a circle about the size of a basketball, with it being denser in the center of the circle. At half the range it was maybe half the size, with the center having about a fist sized hole just obliterated. I played around hitting some beer cans, and even the improved cylinder bore on the 12ga was shredding cans from 10-15 paces away.

I ran one slug thru the 20ga barrel, and it just obliterated an old cool whip container that Mom had laying around. I was about 30 yards away from it, and point of aim and point of impact were practically one in the same.

My uncle and I also had some fun with an old plastic flower pot mom had laying around. It was the kind about 18" around at the top, and from 20 yards away, every pellet of a 3" 00 buck easily hit it from about 20 yards out.

I need to get a full choke tube and go out to the local sporting clays course. Like they always conclude in the box o' truth, it's fun to shoot stuff.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I may have a 6 tacstar side saddle I'm not using. If you want it, and I can find it...it's yours if you pay for shipping. Just pm me.

On one hand I'd love to have that, but on the other, I'd rather keep my work gun and my personal gun relatively identical :shifty

Maybe I'll call 2nd dibs anyway :scratch

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Keep in mind the Tacstar 6 doesn't work with the standard Remington fore end. You'll have to modify it or replace it. I notched mine out with a dremmel (probably mentioned in the video--I didn't watch it.)

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Keep in mind the Tacstar 6 doesn't work with the standard Remington fore end. You'll have to modify it or replace it. I notched mine out with a dremmel (probably mentioned in the video--I didn't watch it.)

That is true, but I have a Speedfeed fore end sitting here on my desk that just needs a bit more fitting.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I did the same on my knoxx forend. Had to for both the tacstar 6 and the mesa tactical 6 w/ rail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
beanfield
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing