Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I thought I had it all figured out...how I crashed that is...then I saw where it happened. Now I'm really confused.

Album of crash pictures

I must have done one of three things. There was a 3/4 mile straight before the corner. I just have really wound it up and then...

...as you can see by the skid, and a lot of it has worn away in the last 4 weeks, I must have had the rear wheel lock up because...

1-I panicked and locked up the brake.

2-Something happened in the motor and the rear wheel stopped rolling.

3-The front brake didn't work and I tried to bring it together with just the rear.

The distance from the top of the hill to the start of the skid is about 1/4 mile. Why would I wait so long to brake? Was I going way too fast? Did I brain freeze/target fixate? It didn't happen while cornering so I can get rid of the whole "high-side theory" or "loss of traction". I haven't looked at the motor yet so who knows if it is okay. The hose from the mastercylinder to the reservoir is broken from the crash so I don't know if the brakes work.

Where was my brain/concentration at that moment?

At least where I crashed was sort of smooth and sloped down-hill. I landed 150 feet or so from the edge of the road. The gixxer 200 feet and today the battery I found 50 feet further yet. There usually would be a barbed wire fence in a corner like that or some dairy cows looking right at you. I was sooooo lucky that the corner was clsoe to perfect...just put an air-fence there next time.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Like you said, you'll know more when you examine your motor. If it's locked then that probably caused the accident. If it's still relatively OK, then there might be another reason for the wheel lock up.

Continue the good healing process, and don't get discouraged. I've been there and know a positive attitude is truly the best medicine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Simon,

Always spooky to revisit the scene.

Questions:
1) Did you know the road? If so, it's more likely that its a mechanical. If not, then you may have had it wicked up and crested the hill, saw the corner, but not had enough weight on the ground to do any braking. By the time the chassis settled, you were into full on lockup trying to get it slowed.
2) Where, exactly is this? South of Reedsburg?
3) What did you use for the rear tire hugger? I'd like to put one on my '87.

Glad to hear you're doing well on the road to recovery.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Doug Hackney:
Simon,

Always spooky to revisit the scene.

Questions:
1) Did you know the road? If so, it's more likely that its a mechanical. If not, then you may have had it wicked up and crested the hill, saw the corner, but not had enough weight on the ground to do any braking. By the time the chassis settled, you were into full on lockup trying to get it slowed.
2) Where, exactly is this? South of Reedsburg?
3) What did you use for the rear tire hugger? I'd like to put one on my '87.

Glad to hear you're doing well on the road to recovery.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1-I hadn't been on the road in years...It was on Ridge road between La Valle & Wonewoc. Between 58 & 33

Here' s the map.

2-The hugger was from an 89 I think. I bought it on ebay pretty cheap.

[ 09-20-2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Tim,
I just lost a friend today on a curve almost exactly like this. They were only going along at around 50-55mph at the time. He was on a MH900e Ducati and following about 200 yards behind another buddy on a 996 Duck. They had been riding for about 4 hours and the MH900 was about 1/2 mile behind but in sight of the 996. Mark (996) lost sight of the headlight so he pulled over and waited a couple of minutes to see if Gary (MH900) was just slowing down. He then turned around and rode back for about ten minutes. Finding no one he turned agian and headed back the orginal direction. He ride for about 5 min when he noticed something 200 feet off in the woods, It was Gary. There was no pulse and he had blood coming from his ears and nose and Mark thought his neck might have been broken. He had allready been down for 15min by the time Mark found him. Without knowing what the doctors would say We think he died when he went through the trees. There were no skidmarks and no witnesses so we may never know what happened. At least you had a open field to go into.
Bones

RIP Gary you will be missed.

[ 09-21-2002, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry to hear that Bones. If I had been tail-end-charlie like I was earlier in the day I would have ended up the same way. As it was the first 4 guys went 9 miles before they stopped and waited. The ambulance got to me before they got back. Every day I think how lucky I am and how it could have went. Thursday I was in an elevator at the hospital when a guy in a motorized wheel chair got in. He asked me how I was doing with my 2 casts. I wasn't until later that I broke down thinking that could have easily have been me sitting in that chair for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Every day I think how lucky I am and how it could have went. Thursday I was in an elevator at the hospital when a guy in a motorized wheel chair got in. He asked me how I was doing with my 2 casts.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Simon, further proof that we don't have to look very far in life to find someone who's got it a lot worse than we do. (the map link doesn't work, but I know the road you were on. I've ridden it before, years ago, when we were terrorizing the name roads and double letter roads of SW WI.)

Bones, sorry to hear about your friend. Not knowing how it went down can be the toughtest part.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Simon,
Had a buddy pitch an RC51 because of motor lock up around Lavalle. He was going into a corner and the motor locked up he and the bike went straight off the road onto a little entrance to a field that is separated by a barb fence. The bike went on one side and him on the other. What is it with the roads up there. Good luck on your rehab, hang in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts