Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Thenthative.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was pissing down yesterday in Bedford UK for California Superbike school. left hander at maybe 10mph on the out lap and before I knew it I was sliding across the track behind my steed.

I don't think it's too bad, it was so wet it just slid and slid. The generator cover shaved away and leaked (all the way home in the van, good job I got a false floor down). I've just ordered a new one, The plastics are alright.

The big annoyance for me is that the paddock bobbin ripped off along with its fixing on the swingarm.. I don't know what to do about that.

Hoping there's no internal damage, draining it out and waiting for replacement cover before I take the generator apart

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,535 Posts
It could have been much worse, for both you and the bike...glad you're ok.
Get the swingarm repaired or buy a used one...either way, it's coming off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you get the piece that snapped off? A good welder could probably repair it. Other than that you can get chain adjustment blocks with the bobbins built in. Could have been worse like has already been said. Hope you aren’t damaged.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are going to do track days regular get a track day bike 👍 I am amazed that the plastics saved. But as said it could have been a lot worse.

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
did you go with billet cover? prolly good to do both sides if your tracking it, maybe race plastics and wet tyres as well?

figure out what went south?

·
Thenthative.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you go with billet cover? prolly good to do both sides if you're tracking it, maybe race plastics and wet tyres as well?

figure out what went south?
purely that it was absolutely pissing it down, the track is shit, covered in rubber and there was no grip.
today i've replace the generator cover, and doing an complete oil change, fired up, run it and seems OK. I'm going to get a dealer to give it a once over but I think I've got away with it.

I own it outright so if it goes down it goes down, I don't really care about that, and there's always breakers to pick up spares, gixxer parts are ten a penny right.

They were all-weather road tyres, it's just one of those things right. hey ho!

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
walk us through the whole crash as if your in super slow motion and you're narrating it, believe it or not it does help to grieve and go over it until you are totally comfortable with it and know exactly what went went wrong..

boil it down to the very first and last moves so if it ever comes up again you can recognize and deal with it much better, hit runoff or whatever is safest and minimizes damage..

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,494 Posts
My first day with CSS was in the rain. Sucked. A lot of people went down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it was pissing down yesterday in Bedford UK for California Superbike school. left hander at maybe 10mph on the out lap and before I knew it I was sliding across the track behind my steed.

I don't think it's too bad, it was so wet it just slid and slid. The generator cover shaved away and leaked (all the way home in the van, good job I got a false floor down). I've just ordered a new one, The plastics are alright.

The big annoyance for me is that the paddock bobbin ripped off along with its fixing on the swingarm.. I don't know what to do about that.

Hoping there's no internal damage, draining it out and waiting for replacement cover before I take the generator apart View attachment 578444
Sorry man glad you’re ok and the bike is totally going to be all good with a bit of work!

·
Administrator
13,988 Posts
Everyone comes off at the track … happens to the best of us.
Lucky it was a low speed off.

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
Everyone comes off at the track … happens to the best of us.
Lucky it was a low speed off.

exactly, best go over it and figure out precisely what all went wrong? was it speed, was it point of attack, line, ? was it too abrupt turn in, too hard on the brakes, a combination of? it must have or still is playing through your head over and over, get the positive out of it, learn, why we make mistakes..

its easy to just say, oh it was wet, but consider all factors or was it just the one, sometimes it's a combo of that added up? why I said walk us through exactly what you remember, every detail, people ride and race in the wet all the time, that wasn't your mistake, in MotoGP a few races back several guys finished the race in slicks in the wet.. you can still go fast in wet on slicks, just not as fast as on rains.. riding in wet makes one smooth and speed is a by product of smooth..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Twisted above. Pissing rain isn't why you went down, or everyone would have gone down. A wet track is one of the best teachers you will ever find on how to be very precise with your inputs. That first 5% of each input is much more crucial in sub-par conditions, and the other 95% has to be more gradual. Whatever your last input was prior to going down was too abrupt. I'm not trying to break your balls, it's just better to learn from it than to pass the buck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts