Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was just riding a short distance to meet up with some friends, averaging around 20~25mph 2nd gear. And out of no where I look down at my guage cluster and the whole digital part went blank, my rpm needle shot to 16k then to 0, and all my lights on the cluster blinked. It all happened in about 3 seconds total but in that order, and then everything went back to normal.

Now this happened somewhere around 8 times in about the 5 minutes it took to get there, Also while it happened nothing about the actual driving changed, rpms stayed where I was hiolding it. Is this some kind of electrical problem? I drove it back home afterwards, and it didnt happen again (or least I didnt notice) I havent done anything to my bike in the past month (last month I changed the oil, filter, radiator fluid, spark plugs, and set the throttle and idle adjustments)

I dont know if this is related but for the past two weeks I've been having this other "problem" where if I tap my brakes a little hard or hit a bump going more than about 25, I hear a clicking/crackling sound from the front of my bike. What is that coming from, everything still rides and feels great, so I dunt know what to do, if anything?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Shit bro... that's probably the easiest problem. Ever

Take a look two places... 1) where your gauge harness plugs into the back of the gauge panel itself, and 2) where the gauge harness plugs into the main wiring harness (right side of bike, you'll have to take the side fairing off to get to it). More than likely, you have a loose connection in one of those two spots. Check it out. Might as well pull the plugs while you're at it, and make sure the contacts are clean as well. Plug 'em back in securely.

If that doesn't solve the problem - we'll go from there

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Shit bro... that's probably the easiest problem. Ever

Take a look two places... 1) where your gauge harness plugs into the back of the gauge panel itself, and 2) where the gauge harness plugs into the main wiring harness (right side of bike, you'll have to take the side fairing off to get to it). More than likely, you have a loose connection in one of those two spots. Check it out. Might as well pull the plugs while you're at it, and make sure the contacts are clean as well. Plug 'em back in securely.

If that doesn't solve the problem - we'll go from there
+1 and if you need a pic I can get you one since my bike is all apart right now. it's probably loose and pops on and off over bumps or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now I feel dumb as fuck..... lol thanks guys...... and yea get me some pics if ya can, since its already apart (it'll help out anybody else that has this problem). If not I'll just take some once I find my ellusive allen keys......

Also what about that clicking/cracking sound?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
don't feel dumb... maybe that's not it. It's just HIGHLY likely.

as far as the cracking sound... look to see if your fender mounts are broken or cracked. Visually inspect everything up front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot seem to figure out how my guage comes off...... I took out the single allen key on the bottom, but something is still holding on and I cant find it....

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
you really shouldn't have to take it off. just reach in behind it and make sure the plug is firmly seated. But if you do want to take it off... it's also secured in two other locations by plastic 'pins' which secure the gauge panel to the back of the headlight assembly. These pins pull out - they're held in place by rubber grommets. Just slowly, carefully pull the gauge panel towards you. But be careful so as to not accidentally break the 'pins'... they're plastic, and part of the back case of the gauge panel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I'm really getting confused..... I had the bike on and it was doing its little mess up so I tried pushing that black rubber piece that on the top back of the guage (assuming this is the other connector) and the digi part and rpm guage just went dead. The nuettral light and lcd backlight are still on, but now even if I turn it on and off I cant get my digi and rpm back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha I got it..... well kinda since I dont exactly know what I just figured out but...... When I give it rpms the guage works while I hold the throttle (around 4~5k) but if I let it idle wit my idle adjusture on full (full meaning like I'm starting it cold) then the guage looks like its losing power, without any dile adjust it just turns off the digi and rpm needle. Does this mean a bad battery, or whatever charges the battery?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I'm not sure what's up with that... 'cept I'd still say check the wiring and connections before you do anything else, as I described in the first post. What it sounds like to me is that the gauge starts acting funny when the bike's vibrating. Would you say that's a possibility?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think it vibrates a lot more when I give it rpms, and thats when the guage comes back on and works like it should.....

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
well bro - like I said - the FIRST thing I would do is check those connections to know where you stand. Not just conjecture about what could be wrong. Once you check them out, you can go from there. Either you fix the problem at the wiring harness connections, or you rule them out & move on to other possibilities. But until you do that - you're just pissing in the wind

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I already checked the wiring (just double check me on that picture above).... I guess you missed that post with me doing to many too soon.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
yes, you're right. I missed it.

OK... do this. That black rubber on the back of the gauge panel. That's just a dust cover. The connector itself is underneath it, and locks into the back of the gauge assembly with a positive 'click'.

Pull the dust cover back, inspect the plug, inspect the receptacle in the back of the gauge panel that accepts the plug. If everything looks ok, seat the plug firmly back into the gauge panel until it clicks in place. Then see where you're at.

If this doesn't work, check the 2nd harness connector, the one that connects the guage harness to the main harness (remove the side fairing, follow the wiring down from the gauge). This is assuming you haven't done so already.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Oh - and that picture you linked to... that's not the other connector. That goes to your ignition switch. I believe the connector you're looking for behind the side fairing is yellow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I found the yellow one..... well I unplugged, checked the connections, and replugged in both, and the problem seems to have gone away. The weird thing is neither of the connectors were loose or dirty...... but I left the bike running and watched the guage as I screwed the fairing and buage back on, and it didnt go out so..... THANK YOU hahaha hoipefully this doesnt happen again.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Yea I found the yellow one..... well I unplugged, checked the connections, and replugged in both, and the problem seems to have gone away. The weird thing is neither of the connectors were loose or dirty...... but I left the bike running and watched the guage as I screwed the fairing and buage back on, and it didnt go out so..... THANK YOU hahaha hoipefully this doesnt happen again.
sometimes just a little corrosion may have built up in between two contacts, and the simple act of unplugging a connector & reattaching it is enough. I'm still inclinded to believe that a connector wasn't fully seated. But if you're sure they were both fully seated, and you experience this problem again, the next thing I'd check is the wiring INTO those plugs... making sure the terminals are secure, and that the wiring is in good condition.

See... told ya it wasn't so weird

Glad you got if fixed bro

·
Registered
288 Posts
After checking those, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight..
Honestly I would look at the negative terminal of your battery b4 anything else. This exactly same thing you described happened to me while i was riding on the freeway freaked me out! But it just turned out to be a loose connection on the neg side of the batt. Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts