Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Weird problem

678 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gmgixxer 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you can give me some ideas.
Bike: '97 GSXR-750 SRAD
Issue: Started/Battery seem to have a very hard time to turn the engine when radiator fan is engaged.
Details: Battery is fully charged. When the bike is cold, or before the radiator fan comes on, you can start it, shut it off, start it again, and so forth....no problems.
The moment the radiator fan starts, turn off the engine, and then try to restart.. you can forget it. It seems like the radiator fan uses all the battery juice and will not turn the engine. As soon as it cools down below 220 (where the fan turns off), then the starter turns the engine and the bike starts without a problem.
Isn't there supposed to be some kind of relay that turns off the lights and radiator fan once the starter is engaged.....just thinking out loud. :-(
Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

#4 ·
take the spark off the plugs and turn it over for about ten seconds.
then grab the starter and the wires see if they are hot.
if the wire going to the starter is hot after turning it over a while. or the starter is hot
your starter is shot.
I had it happen
and kept looking at the battery.
it was new
got disgusted the wires being hot indicates theres juice to the starter it just has no where to flow. cause the starter is bad.
get a multi meter and attach it to the battery while turning it over. if its les that ten volts the battery prolly needs replaced.
take the battery to parts store to check it they do it free.
but sounds if it does it when its warm the starters shot.
give it a go
GET AT ME

#5 ·
Another possiblility is that one of the cylinders in the engine is sealing on a compression stroke when you turn the engine off. These cold gasses get heated up by the engine and start to expand. This "locks" the engine. As soon as the engine cools down a little bit these gasses shrink, unlocking the engine. The solution is to get a new battery that can overcome the pressurized cylinder.

#7 ·
Hey guys,
I appreciate all the feedback. When I first noticed the problem, the first thing I tried was the starter. I didn't check at the time to see if the wires were getting hot, but the new starter didn't make a diff. But I'll check and see if the wires get hot.
The second thing I tried was a new battery, and it didn't make a diff. Maybe I need one with more juice.
If I shut down the engine at any temp prior to the radiator fan engaging, then it restarts without any hesitation. Maybe I should let it get hot till the point the fan engages, then shut it down, disconnect the fan, and then try restarting it.

I got the service manual and have been trying to find in the wiring schematics how the power is cut off from the lights and fan when the starter is engaged, and I can't find anything. Is it the computer that manages this function?

Thanks for the help, and please keep them coming if you have any more ideas.

#8 ·
I have the original battery in my bike, and its in reasonable condition. When the lights and rad fan are running, starting can be a little hesitant.

Does it ever start with the rad fan running?

The rad fan runs an electric motor which can consume reasonable current. I wouldnt be surprised if the amount of power that fan uses causes the hesitation in starting.
I also think (not 100% sure) that the older 600s and 750s use the same batteries, so with a bigger engine its going to have more trouble turning it over.

You might want to try a more powerful battery, but be careful of any side effects this might have.

Good luck

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
The starter will not turn the engine every time I have tried to start it while the fan is running.
With the fan not running everything is great.
I was reading somewhere that the fan can use up to 4A.
The standard battery is the FTX9, what would you recommend I use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.