Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow bikers, I have this 2011 GSXR600 that just started doing this weird knocking sound when the engine is hot and only under engine load, like accelerating after a red light and the like. It only does it under load (torque) and only does it after reaching 200-210 degrees or so.

The sound seems to come from the right side and back of the engine, but not from the muffler.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

Initially, I thought it was the chain or sprocket because it sounds as if the rear sprocket was missing a tooth but it's not that because the sound comes from the right side, so it sounds like every tire revolution or so and I can feel its vibration, in other words, the sound is not as constant as the typical engine knocking/rattle. It's more like a TOC, TOC, TOC sound about every second or just about a tire revolution while pulling out of a stop, and then once up to speed, I can't hear or feel it. Remember, it does not do this while cold/warm.

The bike performs great otherwise.

Note: The bike is due for an oil and filter change in like a couple of weeks or so however oil level is ok.

But any ideas or feedback would be really appreciated.

Peace!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your responses! (including the playing card hitting the spokes) :p

But how come it only does it when the engine gets hot and under load? Wouldn't all those cases make noise all the time?

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,132 Posts
+1 on possible failing bearing. Is the axle tight against the axle blocks? Loose rear brake and/or the bracket it mounts on (also the rotor)? It sounds like it's associated with things warming up from the exhaust heat. How sure are you that the noise is coming from back there and not from the engine? I'd also think about the cush drive except that you say it's on the right side. Loose hugger mount?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts