Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst on a track last weekend i noticed a weave coming from the rear of the bike in a right hand curve between 160 an 200 odd. This only occured if i made a exagerated movement like shift my weight abruptly or changed gear with too much movement...and its not like its a hellova lot of mvement either. I use michelins race soft for track days.

Then on a breakfast run on sunday i noticed the same thing ,as though its very very light at the back. use d207's for street riding so its not the tyres. I suspect its coz there is not enough weight on the rear wheel . Whilst there are no extensions on the back shock its set to the highest it can go.

unless this is all normal on the gsxr an its something i have to ride around. Its not scary as bike is fairly planted but just something to think about.

cheers

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
all sorts cause this, but moving around - putting pressure through the bars does unsettle the bike somewhat, it needs a relaxed pilot under these stresses.

my bike was a bitch for it when i first got it, the rear preload was too low, the rebound and set to hard amd compression was i think 3 turns out. set these up better, got more relaxed and it went.

Still get a little wollow comming out of cirtain corners though, but it's not the best shock in the world as standard. Might be worth checking the tyre pressures and steering bearings also.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
What's your tire pressure?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You feel it cause you have to much air in the tires...

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
Strange... I run about 35 psi and I run hard through the corners to a slight drift on some, and I don't notice this really. Hmmm... but it could be different for you. Ah.. it's hard to say. You just have to try different things until you get it right.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
have to disagree there john also. i'm running 36 in both (fuck grip, i want these bastards to last at these prices !!!)

i thought 32 for the track was about right

·
Registered
265 Posts
Please don't misinterpret this, but it sounds like you have answered your own question. I quote you, "It only occured if i made an exagerated movement like SHIFT MY WEIGHT ABRUPTLY or changed gear with TOO MUCH MOVEMENT... and its not like its a hellova lot of mvement either." You spend time on the track, and at 37 years old you probably have years of riding experience which is why this question confuses me. You know it doesn't take much to upset the chassis at high speed lean, and in agreement with DANUK I'd guess it's rider input creating your stumble. I do believe that suspension tuning is a lost art as well, and while it may not be the cause of the incident you've explained; once tweaked to your liking you most probably would be in a more comfortable & confident demeanor allowing for you to spend more energy on riding & eliminating as much rider error as possible.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well at full lean running about 125-130 MPH in turn 8 at big willow, with about 31psi cold in the rear, I had this weaving... I dropped it down to 29psi like it should have been at and it was gone..
Worked for me...

But for this person it might be something different.

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
trial and error, tinker with things, but only one at a time so you can find out what fixed the problem. Check chasis bolts, tire psi, shock set up, conditions of the tire, the track...a ton of things.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I hear you JOHN. The similarity between your two scenarios are uncanny. Let's hope a simple drop in pressure does the trick for him!

GSXR750, I can't tell you how much I agree. Tuning is a controlled experiment. You change one variable at a time to assess it's effect/s. From time to time I frequent a bodybuilding forum where these guys go on & on about how great a supplement is, and how it made his body do this & do that. You ask them for specifics like baseline stats (bodyfat, weight, strength, etc.) & dosages. Then they write you back this list of the 8 supplements they are using at one time, and how they really don't know on paper what changed but that they just feel better. How are you supposed to determine what did what!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right next time i am out there i will drop the tyre pressue to 29 and see if it helps.

cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts