Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,i just bought a bottle of water wetter today and promptly went back to flush the whole cooling system to replace it with waterwetter. I asked the guy about how much to mix and he told me it was ok to pour in everything. The thing is, after mixing the whole bottle of waterwetter with water, my bike still doesnt seem cooler than before. Any ideas?
Btw, mine is a 98 gsxr750. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i hope you're not expecting cooling miracles with water wetter......redline's web site claims that it can reduce coolant temps as much as 30°f, but interestingly enough, they don't disclose all of the data. what kind of engine was it? bike engine? car engine? steam engine? model airplane engine?

if you ride your bike in stop and go traffic, water wetter isn't going to do all that much.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I put the engine ice in my bike recently. When idiling its the same. But when you start moving you can see the difference. The temparture is bouncing between 170-180 now. Where before it stayed a constant 180 when running.

I would not expect water wetter to work much different in traffic.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the engine ice in my bike recently.
I would not expect water wetter to work much different in traffic.

Just my $.02.
[/QUOTE]

what is engine ice?another type of coolant?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yeah engine ice is a type of coolant. Cost about 25 dollars for a bottle pre mixed. Only got a bottle and a 1/4 in my bike. Bought it at a dealer so I probably paid a bit more then I should of.

Water wetter, if I am correct is used by racers since most race tracks will not allow gylcol based coolants on the track. Who wants to race on a track covered by antifreeze? The water wetter is suppose to reduce the boiling point of water so that is safe to use in a vehicle.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
you do not want to reduce the boiling point of water for the purposes of a cooling system, ever......pure water boils at 212°f. in a pressurized cooling system (used on most if not all cars and bikes), the boiling point becomes a bit higher.

adding an ethylene glycol ('conventional') antifreeze or a propylene glycol antifreeze (engine ice, evan's npg, etc.) will RAISE the boiling point and LOWER the freezing point. this is good because by raising the boiling point, the coolant can absorb more heat from the motor before boiling (this is the job of the coolant - to act as a heat transfer medium between the engine and the radiator)....and by lowering the freezing point, it means that you can keep your car/bike in cold temps without the coolant freezing (water is fairly unique in that it expands when it freezes....this expansion is what can cause serious damage to engines and its cooling system components).

water wetter, on the other hand, has very little impact on the freezing and boiling points of water (this is per redline themselves)......so don't expect water wetter to protect your engine from freezing damage, or give you boilover protection. however, it does have anti-corrosion additives, and it supposedly 'enhances' water's thermal characteristics. and it's not extremely slippery like glycol-based coolants are.

if you really wanted absolute maximum cooling performance and nothing else mattered, you'd run pure distilled water......it has the best heat transfer characteristics, but its tendency to cause corrosion, and more narrow operating temperature range, are the drawbacks.

[ 04-03-2002, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks for the information. I meant to say raise the boiling point. But didn't know that redline never said it would raise the boiling point.

Good information to know.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
could you mix engine coolant and water wetter for best of both worlds?

I use waterwetter in both tlr and gixxer (to try it out) i know it wont protect against freezing, but where i live that wont happen, and from what i understood of water wetter/water, it helps disipate the heat faster then say coolant/water mixture (i have noticed on the gixxer the radiator temp drops alot faster when moving)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yes, you can put water wetter into a glycol/water coolant mix....although it won't help the slipperiness of glycol any, so it still wouldn't be suitable for track use.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Jeff, I thought of mixing anti freeze since i am doing a 5 day ride through some alpine regions at the end of the month, and dont really want to flush the current coolant as is was only just done not long ago..
thanks..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts