Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So I recently faced this milky oil/water in oil issue in my GSXR K6 1000, but let me explain all of the process so you guys can have a better idea of what can be causing the leakage.

So I bought this bike around 7+ months ago, had no issues at all, recently I stopped using it for like 2 months or so due to hard raining season, so I went to start the bike and the bike starter was not spinning, also the bike had an oil leakage on the front forks.

I took the bike to my local bike shop and they fixed both, the forks are perfectly fine now and they also fixed the bike starter, it just had something stuck inside. They also changed the spark plugs to new ones because they were old and cleaned the entire throttle body.

So I went to the shop to take my bike home, turned it on with no issues, the bike feels like new, better acceleration, starts with no issues, and sounds even better, but then the nightmare started, after a 15 minutes ride I reached home and when I was about to enter my garage the oil light turns on and the bike tries to shut down (temperature was on 215-220 never went above that) when checking the oil level window with my dad we noticed that the small window was white, after removing the small oil cap it has, we noticed the oil is milky/full of water, and also the coolant level or the radiator is considerable low.

The first thing that comes to our minds is that this bike never had this issue, I do not know much about this bike, so guys based on what I explained previously about the work the bike got done on the shop, do you think maybe the shops folks did something that caused this leakage? This would be really helpful.

So now we took the bike back to the shop, and they removed the water pump, seals were damaged and some things were damaged inside the water pump, we purchased all the parts and they are brand new, my dad knows a lot of bikes and engines but he does not have much time, so he assembled the pump himself, the pump was put back in the bike, we changed the oil with some crap test oil so we could clean the engine we started the bike (starts perfectly) and we let it idle for 10 minutes. After some time the engine oil light turned on again but the temperature was not that high, we noticed the coolant level when all the way down, basically the engine sucked all the coolant into it, so the same exact thing happened, just as the last time but we made sure the water pump was properly fixed.

So guys do you have any ideas of what can be going on? What can be causing the leakage? Can the leakage be related with the work the bike got done at the shop? I ask this because idk if there is some part that maybe they messed up and that connects the water with oil, etc. And will be really helpful if we determine they did this.

Just trying to see what steps I can do, I do not want to take the whole thing out before getting some advice and knowing we're can the leakage be happening, do you guys believe I can run some test to diagnose this?

I appreciate all help and assistance, at this point it has been a little frustrating since money has been spent on the bike and I still can't enjoy it.

Here is a pic of my bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I would say you need to check your compression first and foremost and then possibly perform a leak down test so as to identify or rule out a blown head gasket. If that were the case, I doubt it could be from anything done to it at the shop assuming all they did was fork seals and a starter diagnostics.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
The water pump nose has a drain hole so that oil coming from the engine or coolant coming from the pump should run out onto the lower left crankcase near where the pump is mounted. You should have been seeing that if the seal was leaking. I suggest that you pressurize the cooling system to try to locate where the leak is. The radiator cap tester shown on 7-4 of the service manual can also be used to pressurize the cooling system but that particular one, though nice, is expensive. If it's leaking that badly, it should be fairly easy to find. The major possibilities are the head gasket, a crack in a cylinder bore, a leaking frost/core plug in the head, or the pump. At the moment, I'm voting for the head gasket or a frost plug. I'd expect there to be coolant in the upper recesses of the head if a frost plug is leaking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes have to agree its likely a "frost" plug in top of cyl head under cams, or alternately the head gasket , though it probably wouldn't run very well cold if it's the head gasket, or start easily on all 4 cylinders. I'd inspect the spark plugs for contamination.
a "high" pressure leak down test effective if it's a blown head gasket, pressure testing coolant system less so unless it's severely blown, compression test will show a dud cyl pressure, testing required to ascertain exactly source of leak, but mtr will require removal to remedy a blown gasket, frost plug likely could be done with mtr still in frame

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
probably frost plug in the head = no matter what you should pull the engine completely apart and clean everything inside, if the oil light is on the engine has less then 3lbs of oil pressure. hopefully there is no crank or rod damage and you will only have to replace gaskets and maybe a bearing or two. DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN IT OUT BY RUNNING OIL THROUGH IT. once it turns to cream it clogs passage ways and you will no doubt make things much worse and expensive from what you described there is nothing the shop did to cause the issue. anything mechanical can fail at anytime.

jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Karns Performance
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing