Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently having a problem with what felt like my clutch. Specifically, while in gear cruising at 6 or 7k rmps when i went to punch to pass a car etc... the motor would tach up to about 12 or 13k rpm. A friend said sounds like the clutch is slipping. I then took it to a large reputable dealer in South NJ. A mechanic asked me what kind of oil i was running. I told hiim Full synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil, not the motorcycle Mobi 1. He said that was my problem, that I CAN NOT run full sythetic oil in my k4 600. He said the oil is too slippery and causes the clutch to slip and become damaged. I never heard of not being able to run full synthetic. After reading all of these posts that alot of guys are running synthetic, i can't believe that i never heard of this. Anyone with any info??????

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
you need synthetic that is compatible with a wet clutch. certain types of oils have detergents and other additives that are bad for wet clutches making them slip. I cant remember the designation, but i know someone will chime in. btw, youll probably need a new clutch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I belive it is called moly, and is meant to stop surfaces from coming into contact. Basically it makes things slide around without wear and tear. Your clutch still needs to get a grip, and this was preventing it from doing its job.

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
FWIW - I've run full synthetic in my bikes for years without any clutch problems. I'm currently running Honda's full synthetic in my race bike with no problems and I beat the shit out of my clutch. So far.....many....many 8000-9000rpm massive clutch abusing launches at the racetrack with no problems and I switched to full synthetic at 300 miles!!!

njracer

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Full synthetic in itself is not a problem. But if it's "energry conserving" and has friction modifiers, it can't be used in a wet clutch application (most bikes.)

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Energy-Conserving Oils

Some are concerned that the new "energy-conserving" motor oils may have "friction modifiers" which will cause clutch slippage. Since that is a legitimate concern it is best to use only oils which are NOT "energy-conserving for motorcycles with wet clutches." Read the back of the container. It clearly identifies this. In general, only the very lighter oils, like 10w30, 10w20, 5w20, are energy-conserving. All 5w40, 5w50, 10w40, 15w40, 15w50, and 20w50 oils which I have found are not energy-conserving and can be recommended for general motorcycle use.

It is commonly mis-stated that "SJ and SL oils have friction modifiers which will cause wet clutch slippage." In reality, all oils have friction modifiers, that's how they work. ZDDP itself is a friction modifier. The real issue is to avoid getting the friction so low, with very thin oils containing extra amounts of friction modifiers, that clutches will slip under normal use. Stay away from energy conserving oils and you should be fine, if your clutch is in good working order.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Full synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil, not the motorcycle Mobi 1.
you have a motorcycle. use motorcycle oil. Mobile 1 make full synthetic specifically for bikes which i never had any problems.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Was at my stealership this morning and brought the synthetic question up. Was told that a full synthetic even for wet clutches will make the clutch slip. A synthetic blend is the best way to go. I was pretty suprised so when i got home ai called 3 other dealers in the are and was told the same thing. One even told me that suzuki tells their dealers to never put syn in their supersport bikes. Also was told that the honda hp4 syn blend without moly is the best stuff you can put in street bikes. Who knows?

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
Was at my stealership this morning and brought the synthetic question up. Was told that a full synthetic even for wet clutches will make the clutch slip. A synthetic blend is the best way to go. I was pretty suprised so when i got home ai called 3 other dealers in the are and was told the same thing. One even told me that suzuki tells their dealers to never put syn in their supersport bikes. Also was told that the honda hp4 syn blend without moly is the best stuff you can put in street bikes. Who knows?
fugg it ,, i ran synth before and will do it again.. motul full syth

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's funny when the majority of sportbikers use full synthetic, myself included.
If you use a "car" type engine oil you risk ruining a clutch whether it is energy conserving or not. Oils not marked 'energy conserving' may still contain moly, just not enough to make the energy conserving designation.
You cannot go wrong with oils that are jaso ma rated. Jaso ma is the Japanese rating for motorcycle wet clutches.
You cannot go wrong with diesel engine specific oils which are rated Allison C4, Caterpillar Powershift, and/or Clark transmission. The diesel oil I use is also rated jaso ma as well as the above.
I just saw a post somewhere of a guy who ruined his clutch using Mobil 10/30 synthetic.
Even Mobil synthetic motorcycle oil does contain some moly as well as the ever popular 15/50 redcap and goldcap. Not enough to cause harm apparently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.