Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OEM real carbon fiber tank pads are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove :hammer

they work great, and look even better, but I wanted to remove mine so I can paint my tank (race prep) The "glue" they use sticks AWESOME.... too awesome. My fingers are about to fall off :lol

First off getting the actual fiber and coating off hurts like hell, and it leaves anasty rubbery glue sticker behind. Then to get that off the ONLY way I found to do it without fucking up the paint is to RUBB it off with just your fingers..... again I think my fingers are about to fall off.

Just thought Id warn ya :lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
I soaked it with a Honda bright spray let it sit for like a minute and rubbed it off with a cotton towel. Repeated a few times and also heated up with a blow dryer over the spray, and made it even easier to come off. Also I think I used a Motul chain cleaner. That thing is safe on everything. I used it to get glue off of the puig windscreen and even used it on the gas tank besides the Honda spray. It won't do any damage, and works like magic.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Moto_Joe said:
The OEM real carbon fiber tank pads are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove :hammer

they work great, and look even better, but I wanted to remove mine so I can paint my tank (race prep) The "glue" they use sticks AWESOME.... too awesome. My fingers are about to fall off :lol

First off getting the actual fiber and coating off hurts like hell, and it leaves anasty rubbery glue sticker behind. Then to get that off the ONLY way I found to do it without fucking up the paint is to RUBB it off with just your fingers..... again I think my fingers are about to fall off.

Just thought Id warn ya :lol
I think you just went about it in the wrong way... Like post #2 in this thread, he used chain cleaner etc. Everytime i need to take something off sticker/badge i always grab a bottle of goo gone (safe on paint, i think) and a blow dryer.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sticker is more of a rubber pad, goo gone didnt do SHIT to it. Peeling the actual carbon fiber off was very difficult as well.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
:scratch I think mine is the ProGrip brand.
But I never plan to take it off, so I guess I'll never know if I'll have the same problem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Blakester... You should put it on. Those things are sweeet looking, and they do serve a very improtant purpose.... Keeping your tank scratch free. And if you ever need to take it off, just scroll up and see what I said earlier. You will have no problems... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Moto_Joe said:
...so I can paint my tank (race prep) ...without fucking up the paint .

Ok, so maybe I'm an asshat, but if you are going to paint the tank, why are you so worried about f-ing up the existing paint? :confused

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
JRDNGIXX said:
Blakester... You should put it on. Those things are sweeet looking, and they do serve a very improtant purpose.... Keeping your tank scratch free. And if you ever need to take it off, just scroll up and see what I said earlier. You will have no problems... ;)
I know, funny thing is that I have the CF gas cap cover and yoke protector on there but haven't put on the tank pad. I got all three for damn near free, so that was cool...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.