Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost always have to use the choke to start it if it is cold.

I also have to pull the choke down a bit after it starts to keep it running or it will die. I will wait till the water temp shows then I can usually pull the choke off. Then time to ride

jontflesh

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
i used the chock to start my pld 97 600, all the time, yep even here in So. Cali..let it get up to about 110 degrees, then slowly shut the chock off..Just don't rev the motor as it starts..worse thing ya can do, in fact..crank it over with choke off so it just cranks over w/o starting to get some oil in the top end before starting it..

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I dont use the choke at all on my bike, but then it's relatively warmer here in Sydney most of the yr

If i do use the choke, on a cold winter's morning, i'll reduce it and close it as soon as it's able to run without stalling.

Minimal usage of choke is recommended by most [fromwhat ive read].

KaTz

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey guys. I was told by my uncle that it's best to choke the bike to start and warm up the bike all the time and then turn off the choke about a min or two after once the bike is almost warmed up. Is this true? I've been doing it but I don't want to do it if it'll hurt the bike somehow. I thought you only use the choke when the bike is hard to start. Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i think as long as it run goods you are not harming anything. sometimes even in warmer mornings, i get this thumping and a poorer throttle responce, so i choke er chock it. then as the bike warms up, it starts to gargle and get poor throttle responce again. Hammer is right though, backing off choke slowly will probably be better than cutting it all at once. so i developed a method of choking the bike, available as a seminar comming to a town near you! Full choke at start (cold engine) then ease off until it hit's a smooth idle. If still choked, ease off some more whenever you rememeber... next stop sign, bored on a straight... Also I think it's a good idea to start the bike, then put on your helmet and gloves as it warms up (and pumps oil to the top end)... any comments on that?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
According to your manual, you should use full choke to start the bike (in colder weather, obviously) then as soon as possible cut back to half choke. Personally, I tend to start the bike on full, push back to half as soon as it runs smooth (pretty much straight away), then put my helmet and gloves on, start riding and as soon as the temp starts to register (45C on my bike) push the choke off. Works great for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts