Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really wanting to buy a ar with a debt repayment coming soon. Where is the best place to buy from the forum experience or should I buy parts and assemble myself? Price range and reliablity as well as caliber info is what I'm looking for. I'm thinking .223 or 7.62 for caliber but open to ideas

·
Registered
115 Posts
What do you want to do with it? That is the main question
You just want to plink with it? get it in 5.56 so you can fire both 5.56 and .223 ammo

Get a AR-10 .308 and go do some good hunting.

All depends on what you want to do.

You an buy a AR for a good price and get good things with it.
You can also build it to suit you for cheaper the same or more, depending on what all you add. I have found building a AR, the possibilities are endless

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
FYI you save about $20 building one over buying a complete. You build one if you cant find a complete to fit you needs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I prefer DTI over all of them, equal to the better names, and Kits are typically in the $460 range (fixed stock Carbine A2) or $530 (M4 with a 7 twist lined barrel) the more you option it up the more it cost.

Here in GA DIT stripped lowers go for $100, so for about $650 you can a nice M4. and the 7 twist will handle any ammo you throw at it, not just the 55, 62 & 69 gr stuff.

Del-Ton (DTI), Spikes, Bravo Co. (BCM), Noveske (if you have the $$$)

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I prefer DTI over all of them, equal to the better names, and Kits are typically in the $460 range (fixed stock Carbine A2) or $530 (M4 with a 7 twist lined barrel) the more you option it up the more it cost.

Here in GA DIT stripped lowers go for $100, so for about $650 you can a nice M4. and the 7 twist will handle any ammo you throw at it, not just the 55, 62 & 69 gr stuff.

Del-Ton (DTI), Spikes, Bravo Co. (BCM), Noveske (if you have the $$$)
Not following your logic there because a spikes lower is $99 and to have all options you get in a spikes in a DTI will be the same price plus you get better quality in a spikes plus HP and MP tested and inspected. BCM and noveske are much more though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not following your logic there because a spikes lower is $99 and to have all options you get in a spikes in a DTI will be the same price plus you get better quality in a spikes plus HP and MP tested and inspected. BCM and noveske are much more though.
locally the Spikes stripped lowers go for about $25 - $100 more depending on whom you buy from and which spikes lower you buy (integrated trigger guard or non), the MSRP from spikes right now is $99 on the non and that doesn't include the FFL xfer fee to get it shipped to a local dealer, another $25 in cost.

and last I checked, spikes doesn't sell kits, only uppers, $640 for a spikes upper vs $540 for the SAME M4 DTI KIT (which includes the entire LPK, buffer tube (mil or commercial), spring, buffer, end plate, castle nut, and collapsible stock) none of which comes with the spikes upper.

DTI also buys\sells HP & MP bolts, as SOP.

and with the couple of hundred you'll save, you can get a nice YHM rail and some kind of optic, with the cash you saved.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you want 7.62x39 then just buy a Saiga, AK, or SKS and save yourself some money. If you're talking .308 you need to research the different lowers and decide which one you want to buy magazines for.

Del-ton has good kits available. Spend the extra money for a chrome lined bore. Just buy any lower and start putting things together. You'll learn a hell of a lot more about how the rifle works by building your own.

If you don't get crazy with customization you can save yourself a bit of money. Complete rifles must have the ~20% federal excise tax paid on them. When you build your own rifle you aren't required to pay the excise tax.

Also check CDNNinvestments.com for their complete rifles. They had a screaming good deal on some ARs a few months ago.

Personally, I don't do business with Spikes anymore. He's done enough shady stuff to the members of ar15.com in the past I have no interest in spending my money with him.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can check out Arizona Armory too, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I think all their lowers are billet too. Arizonaarmory.net
Site is a little dated, I think they're working on it though, everyone says it's better to call them anyways.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally, I don't do business with Spikes anymore. He's done enough shady stuff to the members of ar15.com in the past I have no interest in spending my money with him.
wasn't gonna mention it, but since you did first, I agree. no arguing they make nice equip, but I can't see funding a-holes, when other reputable co. are willing to go the xtra mile for your business and satisfaction; part of the reason I like DTI so much.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Just wondering what problems you guys had. I had a problem with tom because I live in a ban state but it wasnt big enough to never buy anything from them again.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Basically with the competition in the ar market you cant go wrong no matter who you buy from, you just have to decide what your willing to spend for the quality you want.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
What out of spec parts? Only thing I've ever heard of is a 2 stage trigger wearing out
I have 2 RRA 2 stage triggers and they're both great. However, my first AR build was supposed to use a RRA lower. I had an upper + lpk ordered from del-ton (no lower). I took it to my local gunsmith to buy a lower and assemble it. We spent a good hour trying to get the lpk installed on his last (new) RRA lower, but it was out of spec and the bolt catch would not function properly. Had to go with a DPMS instead. All the same parts worked perfectly in the DPMS lower.

I have no idea if my experience was a fluke or something more symptomatic. Like I said, my 2 RRA 2 stage triggers have both worked great. I also have met a number of people with RRA guns/parts that have had no problems. That one experience is the only personal issue I've had. In any case, most gun manufacturers don't make their own lowers. Below are some threads on who makes each gun manufacturer's lowers.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/AR15-Receiver-t15231.html

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I have 2 RRA 2 stage triggers and they're both great. However, my first AR build was supposed to use a RRA lower. I had an upper + lpk ordered from del-ton (no lower). I took it to my local gunsmith to buy a lower and assemble it. We spent a good hour trying to get the lpk installed on his last (new) RRA lower, but it was out of spec and the bolt catch would not function properly. Had to go with a DPMS instead. All the same parts worked perfectly in the DPMS lower.

I have no idea if my experience was a fluke or something more symptomatic. Like I said, my 2 RRA 2 stage triggers have both worked great. I also have met a number of people with RRA guns/parts that have had no problems. That one experience is the only personal issue I've had. In any case, most gun manufacturers don't make their own lowers. Below are some threads on who makes each gun manufacturer's lowers.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/AR15-Receiver-t15231.html
Yeah, I knew about that. I looked around those threads and didn't see anyone complaining about the RRA stuff. I used a ton of their stuff. I have 3 complete RRA's and their 2 stage and LPK's in a lot of my stuff. I own 7 AR's and use lots of different stuff from piston kits to SBR and have never had or heard of any RRA issues.

I'm not firing back at you, it's more pointed to the other poster and wanted some type of proof, for a lack of a better term.

Your issue may have been a tolerance issue:dunno

I think we can all agree the EBR's are a blast :)

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yeah, I knew about that. I looked around those threads and didn't see anyone complaining about the RRA stuff. I used a ton of their stuff. I have 3 complete RRA's and their 2 stage and LPK's in a lot of my stuff. I own 7 AR's and use lots of different stuff from piston kits to SBR and have never had or heard of any RRA issues.:wacko
You have SEVEN at's?!?! :drool Do you use a different one for every day of the week? I would. :biggrin

I'm not firing back at you, it's more pointed to the other poster and wanted some type of proof, for a lack of a better term.
I'm glad you posted. your experience seems more typical with other rra owners I've talked to. I still plan on buying more of their stuff.[/quote]

I think we can all agree the EBR's are a blast :)
:thumbup

1 - 20 of 31 Posts