Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just copied from a review somewhere. Split into 5 sections :

1. Types of motorcycle helmets

Of course each type of motorcycle helmet has it's benefits and disadvantages. Every group of riders have their certain love for a type of helmet. It also has to do with the bike you ride and the type of person you are.

Full face helmets
Easy to recognize because of their protection around the chin. This kind of motorcycle helmet construction gives it extra strength. However they can easily get warm and foggy.

Motor Cross helmets include a dirt cap and possibilities to place goggles.

Hybrid helmets allow you to open the chin part of the motorcycle helmet and slide it upwards. Often very useful for people with glasses.

Open face helmets
Open faced is also known as a three quarter motorcycle helmets. They are aimed to protect the ears and the side of the face. However this kind of motorcycle helmet doesn't have any chin protection. Visors are often detachable.

Shorty helmets also known as half helmets and are the simplest form of a helmet. There is no side and chin protection. They look best when riding a cruiser or custom bike.

2.Motorcycle Helmet checklist.

Comfort
Apart from the safety factor the most important aspect of a motorcycle helmet is comfort. Let's face it, you're going to be wearing it time and time again. It should be safe, look good and feel very comfy.

When trying on a motorcycle helmet wear it at least 5 minutes and then take it off. Concentrate on places which start to bother you. If possible look in a mirror after to see if you have any red marks on your face.

Helmet shell
The shell is usually composed of either a polycarbonate mixture (a what ...?) or fiberglass. Fiberglass motorcycle helmets are often high impact resistant, very stable and last a long time. The polycarbonate motorcycle helmets are often light weight and very sturdy.

The motorcycle helmet shell should be cast in one piece (which is often the case, ask if you're not sure) because its major roll is to spread the impact and resist a sharp object from penetrating the safety liner.

Always inquire about the helmet safety standard. Especially cheaper motorcycle helmets try to avoid some safety testing standards.

It is so easy to put a crack in your motorcycle helmet shell. Or little dents from banging it around. You can easily find a cheap motorcycle helmet bag for protection. WPS helmet bag is inexpensive and effective. Look it up it's just a tip.

Helmet safety liner
The safety liner is made of EPS (the same stuff used for white plastic foam cups). It has one roll, absorb the impact energy without passing it on to your head. Some types of motorcycle helmets are missing this safety liner. This makes for a much cooler looking motorcycle helmet but it's missing that one ingredient, just so you know (yes I have one too).

Helmet comfort liner
The comfort liner is the padding that rest against your head. It should breath well, be comfortable and also absorb sweat. In some motorcycle helmets you can take this comfort liner out (for a wash) or replace it with padding which fits better.

The comfort liner adjusts a bite to the form of your head. Generally motorcycle helmets get more comfortable. But always make sure you do start with a very good fit.

Ventilation system
A good ventilation system is very important. Often this does have a direct influence on how noisy helmets get (the wind moving past the vents). But you need ventilation (unless you like riding with a fogged up visor).

Check out if your ventilation system can be opened and closed and if there are openings in the back of the motorcycle helmet (air coming in should be able to leave the helmet).

Ventilation systems are a major cause of noisy helmets. The more aero-dynamic the motorcycle helmet (and the vents) the less noise you will have.

Chin strap locking systems

There are three types of systems: double D-ring (the most safe and lightest), quick release (most used and easiest to handle) and lever system (not used a lot and most prone to damage).

I have stood there trying to open that s.. chin strap after a days ride but couldn't. Man do you look silly. Basically you will get use to the chinstrap of your motorcycle helmets and can open and close it without any problems.

(1) - quick release with strap shifter (2) - quick release with press button (3) - quick release with press button ton the side (4) - saw-tooth connection (5) double d-ring connection (6) - soft inner padding (7) - velcro connection for left-over strap.

Give your chinstrap a quick consideration when checking your motorcycle helmet (make sure it's not too long and can be tucked away, so it doesn't keep hitting you on your chin). The strap is often made of nylon (like a seatbelt).

Space for your ears / (sun)glasses
The inside of the helmet should have enough room for your ears. Ergonomically formed linings are so much more comfortable. With every hour you wear your motorcycle helmets it becomes better vs. a cramped motorcycle helmet were it becomes worse. Every motorcycle helmets will adapt a little to your head size (but this is only a little).

Sunshades
A low hanging sun can blind you to the extreme. Some helmets have a nice sunshade built into them, very useful. However a pair of sunglasses does the same trick.

Helmet weight
Unless a motorcycle helmets is from the stone ages, weight is not a consideration to worry about. If it's a bite heavier than your old one no problem. Within a short time your muscles will get use to it.

A lighter helmet will of course always be more comfortable than a heavier version.

Helmet shell sizes
Some brands do not change their shell size, they only change their inner liners. This means that an extra small helmet size has a lot of extra padding on the inside, compared to the extra large version. Considering that you want a motorcycle helmets that doesn't feel very big on your head, check if the helmet brand uses different shell sizes for each model size (this kind of motorcycle helmets is more expensive).

Visors
Does your motorcycle helmet have a visor? If not you'll be wearing shades or goggles. Very important is that the visor doesn't influence your vision (optically incorrect).

Check out which kind of visor your motorcycle helmet uses. Can you get different kinds e.g. different shades. How easy is it to remove a visor. Where and how does it click open and close. Make sure you feel comfortable with how stable it feels. Does it make a good seal with your helmet.

Check if your selected helmet has anti-scratch and a good anti-fog treatment. Also look to see that the visor doesn't touch against the helmet outer shell. This will result in scratches and unclear area on your visor.

You can also get a liquid called - Novus polish cleaner & scratch remover - This stuff is great for removing scratches from your visor but also from your windshield. Click the link and look it up if you are interested.

Try to avoid placing your helmet to high off the ground. So often have I seen a motorcycle helmet go crashing to the ground because they were left hanging on the mirror, placed on the saddle or on top of a wall. A simple fall can bust your expensive motorcycle helmet and that's just a shame.

Always make sure you realize with what helmet safety standard you are riding. So you also know that if it doesn't meet the norm your insurance company might give you a hard time. Just so you know...

3. Great places to get motorcycle helmets.

Why buy on the Net?
Get Great Prices for the Same Product!

If you buy motorcycle helmet on the net (and there is a good reason to do it!) make sure you know what you want. A good start is to review my site with all the tips
) Furthermore you can even go and test it at a dealer (I have to admit I have done this). You can also check out the manufacturer website but in the end it's all about price. And that's when the internet becomes interesting.

I've surfed around the net buying my own stuff and researching for my web site. While doing that I've noticed many 'wanna-be' online shops. They don't have the service, products or trust you need. Remember you always need to be able to count on good customer service.

Always select a trusted recommended retailer ...
My No.1 , My No. 2 & My No. 3 choices.

I often research the product I want. Then I check and compare the prices online and at the dealer. I've noticed that dealers and regular shops have to increase their prices substantially just to keep the shop running. So for the same products huge differences can occur...

Online retailer advertise low sharp prices to us. It's the only way they can compete. Remember you nearly always beat the price at the dealer! It has saved me up to 25%!

What you need is a shop with maximum choice of all the big brands. This will give you the possibility to compare different products and brands. Furthermore it helps if the shop has hot deals & discounted apparel (you might get lucky). I always give the outlet departments a check when considering buying something.

I even know of a shop which will give you the best price guarantee. This means that they will beat any other officially published price from any other shop.

So far my experiences with motorcycle gear online shopping have been fine. You do need to know your motorcycle gear! But with this site that has become much easier
)

All my links give excellent service! However if you have had any negative experience with any of these sites, please inform me. I will adjust my recommendation.

4. Helmet fitting guide: Get a perfect fit.

Use a manufactures fitting chart and measuring tape. (1)
Find the corresponding motorcycle helmet category
(e.g. Small, Large, Extra Large ...)

Open motorcycle helmet by pulling chin straps outwards and place over your head. (2)

A motorcycle helmet should fit tight on your head.

The motorcycle helmet should feel comfortable.

Check to make sure the helmet surrounds your forehead tightly...
(you cannot put your thumb between your forehead and helmet). (3)

Adjust and close the chinstrap.

Chinstrap may not be pushing against your neck

Shake your head, the helmet itself may not move! (4)

Make sure you can't slide the helmet of your head. (5)

Sit on your motorcycle in a riding position...
the top of the helmet may not influence your vision.

To the left and right should be 100% vision
(but this is required from the manufactures by law)

If you wear glasses make sure to try them on with the helmet. (6)

Full faced masks need at least a finger in front of your chin.

Press down on the top of the helmet (hold it their)...
make sure it feels comfy and surrounds the whole of your head.

Check for all the features you want / need.

Wear it for at least 5 minutes and check irritation points. (7)

Note: the inner lining will shrink a bite, making the helmet a bite looser.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Sounds like good advice for the newbs or those who haven't purchased a helmet for a while maybe get it amended to a sticky somewhere in the FAQ.

A
for your good work.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good read indeed......... but it should have read the helmets should fit VERY snug at first because the liner breaks down thus getting looser

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
nice clean write up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Deffinately worth the read. Wish I would have had a Dainese dealer around here to test fit a helmet. (They run really small) Good tips for the next helmet though

·
Trackdayjunkie
266 Posts
Nice info :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts