Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Came here indirectly from elsewhere. Have started thinking about getting a GSXR750 and someone mentioned a cracked frame. Did a google search, found this site, found info, and here I am now still thinking about getting a 750.

I've been riding since gradeschool. Started off on an ancient Yamaha 80 street bike converted to dirt bike. Had a bunch of stuff since then, both street and dirt. Currently have two Buells (2000 M2 and 1995 S2), looking to sell or swap one or both of them off. Did a short ride on a friends Triumph TT600, and while it was okay I decided it wasn't for me. Sat on some of the new GSXR's last week and the 750 felt pretty good (at least on the showroom floor). Still not positive what I'll end up with, will have to try and finagle a test ride on a few bikes first to get a better feel for them.

I'm going to rummage around the search engine here for answers, but if any of you care to throw up a few comments in the meantime then that would be great. I'm wondering what differences there are in gixxers over the last several years, what newer gets me versus getting a slightly older one, what sorts of primary "usual" problems crop up, and what typical major workarounds people generally end up doing to them. Mostly I'm looking at this as a street bike that may see a few track days, not racing but maybe a few spirited runs. Probably won't see many long rides ( under 300 miles each way ), but may do a run or to if it works well enough for me ( 1000-4000 mile trips). The gixxer will basically become a solo bike since I'm also looking to swap the other Buell off on a cruiser or more suitable two-up bike.

Anyway, I'm off to the search engine in the background while I do other stuff in the foreground here at work. Oh, and I'm currently located in Wisconsin but grew up out on the west coast of the U.S., and I'm also a bit older than some but younger than dirt. Looks like an interesting site here, I should be hanging around a bit.

Thanks for any feedback.
mike.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Well mike, I am new to gixxers myself so I can't really help you on that differences and common problems but I can say...WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!! hope that helps

·
Registered
888 Posts
well i know for a fact that the new ones are way lighter then the older ones, not as beefy looking anymore. putting down more power, slipper clutch!!!!! better brakes....thats all i know casue iam a n00b but welcome to GDCCCCCCC

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Can't tell you much on the new bikes. I ride the 1st generation. Carbs, oil cooled, oldskool.
Lots of info in here, just wander the appropriate sections on the forum for the newer gen's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
welcome to the site, in my opinion a 300 mile trip each way is too long of a trip on a gixxer, the most i have riddin is 100 miles each way, and my legs and hand were numb. just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts