Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, l'm experiencing some sort of vibration/buzzing in my L7, l know this bike has no balancer shaft and vibrates a lot, but this is a particular buzzing that starts loud at certain rpm and is very noticeable. It's been doing it since brand new but l was not concerned about it until now.

The noise suddenly starts at 8000 rpm and stays there in higher revs. At 1st gear and 8k rpm we're at about 56 mph so it's difficult to start looking and touching all the front end components to see what it is. l'm not even sure if it comes from the front end or somewhere else.

The noise is similar to a vibrating clutch lever or loose windshield/fairing bolts, l have tried to reach them while riding but the noise remains there. Any ideas of what could be causing this? it's really annoying, l experienced in the past with other bikes footpeg or clutch lever vibration, but it looks this is not the case.

Any suggestions before l start disassembling the whole bodywork?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Get a rubber mallet. Tire would be a good spot to give a descent thump. See if any rattle is evident to narrow the search.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
If you have a stock exhaust, I would say it might be the EXUP valves in the exhaust.
+1 on this. Does the noise sound a bit like the beginning of this video? This is more for the noise it makes at idle in gear but if the noise is similar, at least you will have an idea where it's coming from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your thoughts, I will just rev the engine in neutral and gear to compare with the video. But why would the exhaust butterflies rattle at high rpm when they're supposed to be fully open?

Is there any chance that the VVT system in the intake cam do some noise? I'll keep you updated on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds stupid but have you tried the obvious I.E fairings being bolted on properly. I know you said its only at certain RPM but at 8 the block starts to shake quite vigorously causing something ti vibrate. Thats what id look at first bud just incase before you start dismantling :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys, last weekend l removed and reassembled the front and side cowlings, the tank and still nothing. l keep getting this annoying buzzing at 8k. l still feel it comes from the front because l cannot hear the noise when l rev the engine from the side, it's only noticeable while seated on the bike, l will have to remove the airbox next time and take a look at the head cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you said above l'm starting to think the exhaust valves are related. Any idea on how to disable those? l know l'll get a FI fault code but just to try riding without them

·
Registered
40 Posts
As you said above l'm starting to think the exhaust valves are related. Any idea on how to disable those? l know l'll get a FI fault code but just to try riding without them
Exhaust valve noise is very distinct from the side of the bike. Quiet in neutral. Noisy in gear. I adjusted the cable by the muffler to eliminate the noise.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,139 Posts
Take all the bodywork you can off, and go ride it naked. Does it still make the noise? Knowing what it can't be will help narrow it down.

I don't think you need to worry about it, but I understand the annoyance. I had a buzz on my 2005 that drove me nuts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take all the bodywork you can off, and go ride it naked. Does it still make the noise? Knowing what it can't be will help narrow it down.

I don't think you need to worry about it, but I understand the annoyance. I had a buzz on my 2005 that drove me nuts.
Thank you for the advice, the vibration is driving me nuts too, l hope it's nothing related to the engine factory assembly process that might have bad consequences in the future my bike is less than 6k miles. l will have to ride it naked as you said to narrow it down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay guys, l naked my bike and went for a ride. l had to remove the wiring harness in the cowling and clamp it on the cowling brace to be able to use the dash, connect the ambient temperature sensor and steering damper so l don't get a FI light.

Removing the clamps on that cowling was hell of a nightmare. Unfortunately the vibration is not gone, l think the headers exhaust valves might be doing some noise and transmitting it all the way up to the triple clamp and that's why l hear the vibration in there.

l will try to disable those valves temporarily to see how it behaves but will not give up on this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts