Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vertical play in \'05 rear wheel

When changing wheels on my new '05 1K, I noticed that with the rear wheel & axle installed but the wheel nut loosened, there was noticable vertical play between the axle and swingarm. Surely this can't be right since it means that the wheel is not necessarily aligned vertically when tightened, and could possibly move around within the swingarm.

Obviously normal wheel alignment techniques are for horizontal alignment and it is assumed that vertical alignment should be fine since the axle should fit the swingarm.

If you have a k5 and a paddock stand, loosen the wheel nut & you'll see what I mean.

I've so far covered 800 road miles on it, and if the axle didn't fit the wheel I'm sure I'd have noticed by now. The problem seems to be the swingarm holes are too big for the axle.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: Vertical play in \'05 rear wheel

The fit between the axle and its carriers should be close but there is a bit of room between them and the swingarm, so that they can slide for chain adjustment. I haven't checked for this play at the wheel but have noticed that the axle carriers turn slightly once the axle is tightened, confusing matching the alignment marks from once side to the other.

I don't have a '05 1thou but have noticed this with both my '00 & '04 750s, I'll check for this play at the wheel when I next adjust my chain.

Btw how much movement are we talking?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thankyou all for replying

The fit between the axle and its carriers should be close but there is a bit of room between them and the swingarm, so that they can slide for chain adjustment. I haven't checked for this play at the wheel but have noticed that the axle carriers turn slightly once the axle is tightened, confusing matching the alignment marks from once side to the other.
I agree with you on all that but even without the carriers in position I'd have thought no noticable vertical movement of the axle should be possible within the swingarm. I've had an '01 750 and an '01 1K, raced them both so changed their wheels a lot, and have never before noticed vertical movement. But with this bike, it's possible to rattle the wheel about (vertically). I haven't actually measured it but any rattle seems too much for the reasons in my original post.

The guy who brought the problem to my attention when he was giving me a hand to swap wheels is a well experienced mechanic and used to race an R1. 'That's definately not right' was how he put it.

·
Registered
919 Posts

weird - just changed tires twice yesterday and neither myself nor the president of Racing Tire Services (Dunlops race weekend truck) noticed any of said play... weird...

·
Registered
44 Posts

yeah I had a nail in my rear tire and took the rim off to get a new tire and I didnt notice any verticle play at all on mine maybe you got a monday bike jk Id check some other k5s and if yours has more play take it back to the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.