Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I overlooked something, but I haven't seen this topic addressed; if you ride in one of the warm parts of the country, Texas for example, you might be interested in this:
Back some few years ago, when my '86 was new (and I was a lot more foolish), I was out riding on a 105 degree day. Stopped in a store, came out about ten minutes later, and when I went to ride away, dang near got run over when I pulled out into traffic - the bike was coughing and sputtering so, but it finally cleaned up and ran OK. Then when I got home maybe half an hour later, I heard something hissing after I turned the engine off. Opened the fuel tank, was greeted by a big "Woosh" of gasoline vapor escaping.
Yeah, that flammable stuff.
I capped it back up, and started to walk away, but heard hissing again. Big "Woosh" again. THis time I looked down into the tank and saw the gasoline BOILING!
Didja know gasoline boils around 135F?
I hosed it down to cool it off and prevent a fire.

Here's the fix: I got ahold of a piece of non-woven ("needle-mat") ceramic fiber insulation about a 1/4" thick, although woven fiberglass would probably work as well. I sprayed the underside of the tank with 3M cement, applied the insulation, then sprayed the insulation with more cement, and applied a sheet of Reynolds Oven Wrap, the heavy-duty aluminum foil.
I covered the entire underside of the fuel tank.

No more problems, regardless of weather, and 15 years later that heat shield is still in place.
Regards,
Rob

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
That is a good tip as the bottom of our tanks do get hot. I use Dynamat underhood material it has a sound supressor and a reflective material and is self adhessive.
Bones

·
Registered
43 Posts
WOW...i was just asking about the same thing....

but mine is coming out of the little hoez on top of the tank...i will do that this weekend..
Hope it helps...

PS i'm N "Tampa Fl, USA"

so its allways hot here!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
In the image below you should be able to see the grey hose. It goes from the top of the tank to the center of the steering assembly. There should be a hole in the center of that nut. If not, run the hose down next to the VIN.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I was having similar problems at the track after the engine got hot. It seems better now that I have removed the stock air box, which I think is keeping the carbs cooler. But I still have a considerable pressure build up in the tank when the bike is sitting so I want to do what you're suggesting. Problem is: I don't have any idea of where to find the material you're talking about. Where would I look??

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just ordered some stuff from them for the gas tank...i hope this works....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for the link

1 - 9 of 9 Posts