Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Bought some oil today for an oil change. I wanted Mobil 1 4t synthetic but advanced auto parts only had 3 quarts and Walmart didn't even have any...i live in the middle of bum-fuck no where so instead of making a trip to auto zone i just bought some Valvoline 4t 10w40 full Synthetic..guy gave me a discount 5.99 a quart from 9.99....Anyone ever use this stuff before? is it better or worse than Mobil 1?:scratch

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
DON'T PUT THAT IN THERE ! ! ! If it's not what the majority recommends or uses. You take the risk of voiding the " I use it and recommend that it's the best oil out there " warranty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DON'T PUT THAT IN THERE ! ! ! If it's not what the majority recommends or uses. You take the risk of voiding the " I use it and recommend that it's the best oil out there " warranty.
uhh....so its perfectly OK to use it?..that one kinda went over my head:banghead

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Doesn't even need to be " motorcycle specific. " As long as it meets grade, quantity and jaso cerifications. Motor oil, is motor oil. Don't buy into all the hype, marketing and he says.
...unless it's car oil with "performance enhancing" or "economy" additives, THAT can very well destroy the clutch.

Regular synthetic car oil without fancy additives is fine.

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
...unless it's car oil with "performance enhancing" or "economy" additives, THAT can very well destroy the clutch.

Regular synthetic car oil without fancy additives is fine.
So they say, my brother in-law has a 98 Cbr 600. Seen nothing but standard Valvoline automotive oil since day one and has 55k. Original clutch, never the slightest issue. That's not the only time I've seen it either. People can believe what they wish. But, I believe as long as the clutch is receiving the proper amount of oil. As far as the additives. That's why I mentioned Jaso.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
So they say, my brother in-law has a 98 Cbr 600. Seen nothing but standard Valvoline automotive oil since day one and has 55k. Original clutch, never the slightest issue. That's not the only time I've seen it either. People can believe what they wish. But, I believe as long as the clutch is receiving the proper amount of oil. As far as the additives. That why I mentioned Jaso.
Standard Valvoline doesn't have those additives either :idea A car oil can be JASO certified and still have such additives. They are there to make the oil more slippery, to decrease friction between engine parts. That's not an issue in a car engine since the engine oil doesn't get to the clutch in that, might actually be beneficial.

But in most motorcycle engines (and certainly all current Japanese bikes), the clutch is lubed by the same system as the engine and gearbox - if you then add additives like PTFE (Teflon) to the mix you may very well get clutch slip and the clutch will stay slippery even after an oil change. That has nothing to do with belief, that is simple fact and even common sense.

But again, standard Valvoline doesn't have it - so READ on the bottle before pouring just anything into your engine ;)

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
Standard Valvoline doesn't have those additives either :idea A car oil can be JASO certified and still have such additives. They are there to make the oil more slippery, to decrease friction between engine parts. That's not an issue in a car engine since the engine oil doesn't get to the clutch in that, might actually be beneficial.

But in most motorcycle engines (and certainly all current Japanese bikes), the clutch is lubed by the same system as the engine and gearbox - if you then add additives like PTFE (Teflon) to the mix you may very well get clutch slip and the clutch will stay slippery even after an oil change. That has nothing to do with belief, that is simple fact and even common sense.

But again, standard Valvoline doesn't have it - so READ on the bottle before pouring just anything into your engine ;)
All you say, is true. It does not state in 1 single motorcycle manual that I have ever seen. To only use motorcycle specific motor oil. The manuals only state to use suggested additives and to stay away from others. People use Shell Rotella diesel oil with much success for long periods of miles. I don't use car oil in my bikes. I am simply stating that automotive oil is fine to use as long as those ingredients are present or not and using only motorcycle specific oil is a load of crap.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
All you say, is true. It does not state in 1 single motorcycle manual that I have ever seen. To only use motorcycle specific motor oil. The manuals only state to use suggested additives and to stay away from others. People successfully use Shell Rotella diesel oil with much success for long periods of miles. I don't use car oil in my bikes. I am simply stating that automotive oil is fine to use as long as those ingredients are present or not and using only motorcycle specific oil is a load of crap.
Dude, we're saying the same thing :lmao

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts
BS! If the oil meets JASO MA/MA2 requirements then it's absolutely safe to use it with wet clutches.

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
BS! If the oil meets JASO MA/MA2 requirements then it's absolutely safe to use it with wet clutches.
If my memory serves me correct. Motorcycle specific oil has only been around for 10 to 15 years. Just something to think about. That may be stretching it. It may be less.

·
3,250 Posts
Yes, JASO MA/2! No mention has been of the suffix yet, only JASO :idea
MA/MA2 was implied since we were talking about motorcycle oil :dunno

·
3,250 Posts
If my memory serves me correct. Motorcycle specific oil has only been around for 10 to 15 years. Just something to think about. That may be stretching it. It may be less.
Energy conserving oil(s) were introduced ~10y.ago. or so. The amount of friction modifiers being used in such oil affects the clutch and makes it slip under high load. Existed API classification/existed standards didn't address that issue so japanese had to introduce new standard (JASO T904-MA/MB). It takes care about those additives (friction modifiers mostly) and divides oils in safe for wet clutch/not safe.

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
I can remember when full synthetic oil pretty much hit the market. Everyone and their brother heavily advised against using it. Saying it would make the clutch slip. I have used it for a long time without any rememberance of one single slip. Now, everyone insists on using it. Just funny, how that went from one end of the spectrum to the other over the years.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
All you say, is true. It does not state in 1 single motorcycle manual that I have ever seen. To only use motorcycle specific motor oil. The manuals only state to use suggested additives and to stay away from others. People use Shell Rotella diesel oil with much success for long periods of miles. I don't use car oil in my bikes. I am simply stating that automotive oil is fine to use as long as those ingredients are present or not and using only motorcycle specific oil is a load of crap.
MA/MA2 was implied since we were talking about motorcycle oil :dunno
Um... No... :dunno

1 - 20 of 29 Posts