Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
er since i got my ike last august my engine has been making a lot of loud noises.
I dont know ho to descrbe it but the tick increases and decreases with the engine speed when i play with the throttle. Saound also sort of like a washing machine
cuz i hear slushing sounds in there or something along those lines. i did hve a low speed low side in the rain
a few months ago but i dont know if that contibued to anything.

thanks for any help

marc

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Can you tell if the ticking is coming from a certain side of the engine?

jontflesh

·
Registered
30 Posts
i think it's most prob the cam chain.it makes a rattling ting a ling sound, and the sounds becomes faster as the revs go up?

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
This sounds like a case of Gixxer Hypochondriacism. I ride what you ride and i noticed that my engine was noisy compared to other bikes. I bought mine in August with 19k mi and it has 33k now. Havent had to do anything besides factory prescribed maintenance.

If you arent noticing reduction of performance, fluid leaks, or other broken bike clues dont worry about it.

As for the slow speed low side: I've dropped mine doing a wheelie, a chick knocked it over, and I was hit by a dumbass doing wheelies in a crowd. So I hesitate to think a lil brush with the pavement would severly damage your ride.

·
Registered
775 Posts
That sounds like you need a "APE" Cam Chain Tensioner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey kirei, yea the sounds go faster as the revs go up

is there any danger to the bike if it is the cam chain rattling, or can i just leave it like it is

im about to with getostars adive and just ignore it, i do feel a lil paranoid now

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Originally posted by gixxerookie:
hey kirei, yea the sounds go faster as the revs go up

is there any danger to the bike if it is the cam chain rattling, or can i just leave it like it is

im about to with getostars adive and just ignore it, i do feel a lil paranoid now
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When the engine slows down is it sloppy sounding compared to the RPM's?

I would also say it is the tensioner if so. Check out http://www.aperaceparts.com and get the manual tensioner.

You can really jack your engine if in fact the cam chain tensioner is not doing it's job.
I myself have had a cam split in half do to too much slack in the cam chain because the auto CCT
sucks so bad.
Your engine can sieze, your valves can bend, you can eat up your head just to name a few things that can happen if the CCT is left as is when it is going out. I know of one guys engine blowing at speed due to the CCT failure and he ended up in the hospital with a fucked bike.

jontflesh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts