Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valve seals on \'01 750

I recently accquired my '01 750 with 7000 mi. on it from a friend of mine for a song. Only catch is, it appears to need some new valve seals... I'll explain : Said friend bought a 2 bros. slip on, but no PC. He then proceeded to ride the bike hard(as is proper). Power started to dwindle, and in it's current state pulls almost exactly as hard as another friend's '01 600(completely stock). One tuner i brought it to looked down the throttle bodies and said the valve seals were shot on 3 of the 4 cylinders. He said he was 95% sure that was the cause of my problem. Another (dealer) mechanic said there's no way it should cause that much power loss(around 15-20 hp imho). My questions--

1) Can installing a slip on without a power commander cause valve seals to go bad?
2) Can bad valve seals cause a dramatic power loss as described? I would hate to replace them and find out something else is wrong too.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Re: Valve seals on \'01 750

Well you could upgrade your seals to walrus's, that might help, although you may fall foul of the animal rights wackos.

Did you hear about the eskimo when his car broke down? The mechanic said "it looks like you've blown a seal" and the eskimo says "no, it's just frost in my moustache".

On a more serious note, valve seal wear is usually caused by hard use. If the bike was running hot due to leanness caused by the slip-on it may accelerate wear, but I highly doubt it. It sounds more like your buddy has the mechanical sympathy of King Kong. If the power loss is that severe, it going to be more than valve seals causing it.

First of all, does the motor smoke? Go out on a run, and look for puffs of smoke when you change gear, that would indicate valve seal wear. Get a compression check on the engine, it may be worn rings or a burnt out valve.

Check valve clearances, check the cam chain hasn't jumped a couple of teeth and messed up the cam timing.

In fact, I'll move this into Y2K Forum, as you'll get a proper answer in there, the Squid Farm is more of a joke forum

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: NotoriousREV ]</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.