Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 1100 motor has one of the valve cover bolts stripped out and it is leaking oil. It is one of the big headed bolts with the round rubber washer underneath (#5 on the microfiche). Anyone had this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix it? The only thing I can really come up with is to drill it out and put an insert in.

·
Panty Buncher
181 Posts
The valve cover bolts are an odd size (7mm), which makes finding the helicoil and time sert kits difficult.

I'd suggest you order a set of over-sized aluminum valve cover bolts from APE and drill out all of your cam caps and either helicoil or time sert them to 8mm.

·
3,482 Posts
Well that blows. It seems this happens to someone every month
What MackJack said, try GSXRZone in the sponsors link. Time serts are best but hard to find and major$$ The torque is really low and helicoil would work just fine too.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
i had the same problem as you're having when i tried to find someone to time sert my spark plug hole... which had zero thread on it... westcoast cyl head in reseda, ca did it for me..

i know flounders in glendale ca carries timesert... so u could order from them, or timesert themselves so i've herad... it's not the inserts that are pricey, its' the kit/tools to us them...

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
man i'm real sure i used heli coils in mine???, as i remember about $50 for the kit, included like 4 inserts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have a few different directions to go now. I think I will try to make it a 6mm thread first.

Man I love this forum, you guys are the best

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Have you tried APE to see if they still make the 8mm oversized v/c retaining bolt's? They were made by Sims & Rohm, made of aluminum,& discarded oem washers as well...just a thought.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i just got two of my cam caps helicoiled 2 days ago. at suzuki dealership.. was charged $25 for two.... take it to a dealership...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts