Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just did a valve adjustment on my recently purchased '86 1100. I was concerned that two of the 8 cap style valve cover bolts came out way too easy for my liking. My concern was right - both the threaded holes inside the cam bearing caps were stripped. Bad enough that on running the bike post adjustment the cap screws come loose and spew oil.

So then, I've got a machinist guy who's willing to drill and heli-coil the cam bearing cap holes for me. What should I make sure he is careful of? For that matter - what should I be careful of when removing said bearing caps?

Please help - I'm desperate to get this beast in reliable riding shape...

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Ape sells a 1mm oversize hold down bolt for just this situation. They are also aluminum instead of steel so they do not strip out the cam caps like the stock steel ones do. They also sell stock size hold downs for the ones that are not striped yet. All your machinest friend has to do is tap them to the oversize bolts and then colt them in anti-seize. For those of you that do not have striped caps the anti-seize is still important.
Bones
www.aperaceparts.com

[ 05-22-2002, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
Registered
398 Posts
the APE bolts work great or just replace the holders..they dont run that much new and save you the headach! Either way just make sure you get a good seal and not cross threaded. Also use a little Locktite red on the end of the cap bolt to keep it in snug as vibrations can loosen them up. Best of luck!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
And use a Torque wrench! The Head cover union bolts (4 of them) and the head cover bolts (10 of them) share the same torque spec...13-15Nm (that's 9.5-11.0 ft/lb)

And the oil hose bolts are 8-12Nm (6.0-8.5 ft/lb)

·
Registered
178 Posts
webwarlock, i had to heli-coil two of my valve cover bolt holes. it was very easy. just take the two bolts out of the cam holder, then brace it with something, like a vise. next, tap the hole and install the stainless steel heli coil. they are very strong- so strong i wish i had done all of them!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Heli-coil all the way. Even if you get the oversize bolts you still need to retap and you might as well put in some coils so the bolt rides in steel instead of aluminum. I always use a torque wrench on mine but some were in bad shape to begin with. The last time around I just broke down and did them all. The kit was like $30 (though a little hard to find as 7mmx1 is sort of an odd size) but it was just a few minutes work with each one. Anyone with a drill press and even just a little mechanical skill should be able to handle the job. The main thing is to clean everything really really really good to make sure you don't get shavings in the engine when you put the caps back on. Also I used engine assembly lube on the cams when I reassembled just as if I was building an engine.

Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent advice everyone. Thanks for all the help "AGAIN"... This board rules.

I will do just the two that are stripped for now, and watch how the machinist does it, then next winter I'll do the rest of them.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Simon Orttan said:
And use a Torque wrench! The Head cover union bolts (4 of them) and the head cover bolts (10 of them) share the same torque spec...13-15Nm (that's 9.5-11.0 ft/lb)

And the oil hose bolts are 8-12Nm (6.0-8.5 ft/lb)
+2 good advice! it doesn't take much to strip them.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
PhatBastardDesigns said:
the APE bolts work great or just replace the holders..they dont run that much new and save you the headach! Either way just make sure you get a good seal and not cross threaded. Also use a little Locktite red on the end of the cap bolt to keep it in snug as vibrations can loosen them up. Best of luck!
Sorry dude, gotta disagree with you here. You can not replace the cam caps, if that is what you are referring to as holders. They are mated with the head. Do not use red loctite either as it is designed to only come loose with heat. It is way too strong to use in the wimpy cam caps. Troy341

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Shit, I just responded to a post from 2002. I see all these names that I haven't seen for years and think WTF? Then I check the date. Doh. Troy341

1 - 13 of 13 Posts