Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I am posting this question in the wrong part of the site - couldn't find a more appropriate section... So I took my newly bought 2005 Aprilia RSV1000R to the track for the first time and found myself overtaken on the straights by pretty much everything. This frustrated the s*it out of me - all the distance that I would make up on people in the corners was lost on the straights. To the point where I would be entering the start/finish straight overtaking the other guy on a 600 through the corner, rolling on the throttle and staying ahead for 100-200m and then being left for dead before I would hit 10K rpm. I know the bike is capable of much more than I can get out of it at the moment, but I can't help but think that I am not riding it right if I can't out-drag a 600 (CBRs and R6s) on a straight. The Aprilia had the shift light set at 6K when I got the bike and I am thinking that perhaps I should be going through gears faster short shifting rather than trying to keep the engine revving between 8 and 10k. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 (suzukis) mate and I love them - just curious to try a v twin. :) "Italian shit" smoked a lot of the modern hardware including S1000s and R1s in Parcmotor in competent hands of a guy from Bridgestone - he was kind enough to help me to set up the suspension and try it on the track, but I couldn't ask him for riding tips. I think RSVR also held lap record in Nurburgring for a while, albeit in a Factory guise. I just don't know how to ride it...

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,391 Posts
That bike is a monster and should be able to hang just fine. A friend of mine had the 04 RSV factory and never had an issue. On the straights are you topping out 6th gear?

·
Hates the French..especially Le Skid
4,223 Posts
V's pull hard through pretty much all the rev range, you certainly shouldn't be getting pulled by 600s on it. They have a massive amount of usable midrange grunt and don't really need to be kept in the traditional range of a I4 to get the best of the power.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Quarter mile on that is [email protected] on a well-running RSV1000R. Meaning that you're around on par with, or slight slower than, a 600. Max torque is at 5,500, but max horsepower is around 10,500. If they're pulling you that hard, maybe something is wrong with the bike. Have you taken it to a dyno?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That bike is a monster and should be able to hang just fine. A friend of mine had the 04 RSV factory and never had an issue. On the straights are you topping out 6th gear?
Nope, this is the thing - I think I am riding it like a straight 4: keeping it right at the top of the rev range between 7.5-11K (12K hard limit on the counter), so on a 1km straight (on the particular track) I top out at ~120mph (entering ~55mph in 2nd) in 4th before braking for the next corner. I KNOW i am carrying the same amount of speed as the other guys through the apex, but as soon as we get on the straights, I get left behind.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V's pull hard through pretty much all the rev range, you certainly shouldn't be getting pulled by 600s on it. They have a massive amount of usable midrange grunt and don't really need to be kept in the traditional range of a I4 to get the best of the power.
shortshifting then? 5-8K?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they're pulling you that hard, maybe something is wrong with the bike. Have you taken it to a dyno?
Nope, not yet, just bought the bike before taking it to the track. It's a reliable 5000-miler (one owner, service history, etc.), and as mentioned, a guy who knew what he was doing absolutely flew on it and gave it a clean bill of health. I have seen the dyno print-outs for this model, it should be doing ~113bhp (yeah, I know!!! It also weighs over 200kgs) in stock condition with baffled pipes, stock air filter in map 1, but with a lot of torque. I just don't know how to get the best out of it... Might just be a case of spending more track time and trying different things. Fecking frustrating though - all the distance I make braking (awesome brakes on this thing) and turning I lose in a straight line.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
113 bhp is about 101'ish at the back tire. Are you sure it is not restricted? MCN lists it at 143 bhp which is about 128 at the rear tire so something is off.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,391 Posts
Nope, this is the thing - I think I am riding it like a straight 4: keeping it right at the top of the rev range between 7.5-11K (12K hard limit on the counter), so on a 1km straight (on the particular track) I top out at ~120mph (entering ~55mph in 2nd) in 4th before braking for the next corner. I KNOW i am carrying the same amount of speed as the other guys through the apex, but as soon as we get on the straights, I get left behind.
Something has to be wrong with your bike. Even with stock gearing, you should be able to pass most right after corner exit as long as you can keep the front on the ground. I rode my friends RSV-R a couple times. 3rd gear from 60-120 and it wanted to rip my face off. I couldn't even give it full throttle because it would start to lift. Maybe start shifting 6k-10k, but I'm curious what your gearing is.....

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,124 Posts
Torque is unimportant in this context (or any other context related to road racing, as far as I can tell). It's power that counts. If the bike makes maximum power at say ~9200 rpm, you generally want to shift a bit after that, at least as far as straight line acceleration is concerned. Engine layout is unimportant in that respect, too, although it might affect other aspects of road racing. Shifting at 8000 rpm, will simply ron you of >10HP (if the chart above is anything to go by).

·
Hates the French..especially Le Skid
4,223 Posts
7-9k but yeah agree there's something wrong. Aprillias are no joke bikes, they are viscious to ride when you want to play and you should be seeing more than 113 on a dyno in stock trim.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Peak horsepower is at 10k. Shifting below that is not beneficial. I think you need to get it checked out if you're getting passed that easily. You should be competitive with all of the 600s

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
113 bhp is about 101'ish at the back tire. Are you sure it is not restricted? MCN lists it at 143 bhp which is about 128 at the rear tire so something is off.
You're right mate. "Claimed" is closer to 150, but the dyno shows between 113 and 114ish for this model in stock form. Italian horses are much weedier than Japanese clearly...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe start shifting 6k-10k, but I'm curious what your gearing is.....
Standard mate, I think it's 16/40. There's definitely plenty of punch out of the corners even with standard gearing - this model does not have a damper as standard and to start with, rolling on aggressively while lifting the bike out of a turn was a no-no, the front immediately goes light and starts to shake. Sorting out suspension (was too soft) helped and it got more composed. I suspect your friend went to 42 at the rear which I have been advised to do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for responding all, from the above I can surmise that: 1) the bike may have an issue (although I am not convinced: all dyno sources I have seen say it's around 113/4 bhp and given that it's quite porky, it seems reasonable that it would be outdragged by a similar powered CBR with a 20kg weight advantage) 2) I may need to try a higher gear through the corners to use the low down torque while I cannot give it too much throttle, but would set me up for a higher gear/speed on the straights.. Hope this makes sense, will try it out on the next track day on the 10th, if it doesn't work, may have to part companies with it.

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
I own a RSV1000R ... I can tell you I don't have any trouble with 600cc bikes keeping up , and it's more than a match for most 1000cc bikes.

It's either your riding style or the bike is not running right ...

It's bike that is very 'lively' , mid range punch is brutal ... I have ridden and owned many other Vtwins , it reminds me of a less mannered SP1 Honda

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've just switched from an '08 RSVR1000R to a '13 GSXR1000Z
There definitely sounds something wrong, my RSVR was a rocket ship.
Far more low-mid rev punch than the GSXR, combined with a top end that was pretty ballistic.
Only reason I got rid of it was that it was starting to need endless maintenance to keep it going (as would any 2008 bike).
It was nearly 10 years old, the maintenance was more age related than the fact it was Italian.
I've also just spent three days around Portimao on a GSXR600, so am familiar with 600s too.
RSVR should definitely be faster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts