Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if it was advisable to use an ignition advancer w/ a Powerpak? I just purchased the pair that was listed on Ebay some time ago, and the gentleman was kind anough to include the instruction's. They say not to use an ignition advancer, the box does it automaticly i suppose? Anyhow if I don't need it I'll have 2 of them for sale, the one that came with the unit and the Factory unit already on the bike. I'll just have to find an original stock one, anyone have any lying around?
Thanx in advance, Cheers,
EVO

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
You're on the right track....their box is expecting stock advance settings as a baseline, so yeah, don't fly with an adjustable one (though heavy googling might produce some hacker mods....might).

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Evo,I have a duncan hines powerpack on my 94 1100,it came with an ignition advancer,haven't had any trouble in 18,000 miles

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, The one I bought says 1995 Gsxr 1100w? I have a 94, I would assume the same, He advertised it 93-98 1100w, like I mentioned, the guy sent me the V&H ign. advancer w/ the box, but reading the instruction manual says not to use it??? Just don't want any detination from too far advanced timing. And I think the setting #2 (performance) is where I want it set at right? I have stage 3 jet kit (stk carbs overhauled), BMC pod filters, Yosh Duplex w/ Race Baffeled pipe. Other mod's: Muzzy fan (on way), Dyna Plug wires (on way w/ 3 ohm coils), 530 chain 14t-50t (Yikes), 750 swingarm, Barnett kevlar clutch kit w/ hvy diaphrams,etc...I'm trying to make this thing more road worthy for ripping up backroads, not into dragging, although would like to keep up w/ the new 1k's and busas.....Have not riddin' yet, but assume I won't like the weight! So I'll feel her out and if not agile enough, will be for sale!! LOL

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The 95-98 bikes have differant cams in them,maybe that has something to do with the advancer,keep me posted as to how the bike runs with the stage 3 jet kit,I've heard it kills low and mid power but rips pretty good on top,but with a 50 tooth rear spocket you can jsut leave it in 5th gear it'll be like an automatic. Man I wish I had something definitive for you on the powerpack,mine is for a 94 and came with the advancer in the same box,no mention of not running them together,...sorry

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
FYI, after a lot of dyno runs, we (which means the guy that knows what he is doing and me standing around with my thumb up my ass) determined that +2.5 degrees worked the best with my stocker. It has the BMC pod filters (on the CDN 40mmCV carbs, with Factory Jet kit), Arrow full system, etc, but nothing done internally.

I just plain would NOT use one of V&H powerpacks on my bike, even if it came free. They have been rife with moisture problems, unknonw faults etc etc etc ever since they were first produced. While V&H were able to run a successful drag race team, their aftermarket shit has been pretty much just that , SHIT.

FYI: comparing black boxes: we set a baseline with the stock box, then tried the 1989 Limited Edition 750 box, which gave me 3 more bhp. The big smile came with the unobtanium WSB box for the 89/90 750 which gave me a nice fat 5bhp at the rear with no other changes, plus the extra torque etc.. Obviously, you do need to be either right fucking careful, or install a separate rev limiter,.

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
since I'm whore for a day
I just installed a 92-93 GSXR 600 Black box on the 750 today..... I'll give it a run tomorrow on the way to work!

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the insight BC.
So what about the Dyna unit's? Same or more advanced unit? Also just for curiosity sake what kinda HP numbers should I be looking at, given my simple bolt-on's? And there is this pain in the ass customer of mine I wanna embarass. He is this 18 yr old retard that got a bike a few weeks ago (1st one I might ad) and thinks he's a GP pro, only dropped it twice thus far!
LOL And his bike is clapped out I think a 97-98 TL 1000 s model. I think My Duc was faster.
Needless to say I'm gonna have to put an end to a pointless argument. His buddy has a 98 gixxer600 told him to come along for a lesson too...

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Evo,
Better get used to that 1100 before you start talkin smack. your bike is alot heavier than present day bikes. but with the 1100 motor you'll be able to smoke em.
Handling is smooth and graceful but sometimes when you dive into a corner the 1100's are alittle reluctant to straighten back out.Sometimes stupidity is faster than expertise but it'll always catch up to them in the end. Take your time and don't make us fellow GSXR riders look too bad ok? I've had one bad Dyna2000 that would skip a cylinder once in a while, I got another and she's the shit.
Bobbychet

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
AMEN

·
26,430 Posts
since I'm whore for a day
I just installed a 92-93 GSXR 600 Black box on the 750 today..... I'll give it a run tomorrow on the way to work!
For anyone interested...... it didn't seem to be an improvement at all. Almost felt down on power a bit. Unfortunately I have a high RPM clutch slippage that really hinders the bike at the moment.

·
26,430 Posts
Are you kidding? Hell I have an entire garage full of GSXR shit......
I know for sure I have a brand new clutch in there.

In fact I have a complete GSXR 600 motor thats just begging to be turned into a gocart!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
sounds like you have her under control!

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx for the enlightenment Bobby. Yeah, I plan to cruise for a few days prior to droppin the hammer! She's a heavy beast to say the least....I've riden some heavy bikes before buy Geez! Anyhow, my main concern is the rr. spocket and swingarm choice, I'm worried while cracking the throttle coming outta a turn I'll lift the front wheel or never put the wheel down?! LOL . How well do the factory steering dampers work? I had that big problem w/ my Duc, had to go to aftermarket due to severe headshake over 100mph. And that is some scary shit.
And any word on HP number's?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
EVO
What are you running for front and rear sprockets? swapping to a 750 swingarm would help on the corners but tends to lighten the front end (wheelie prone).
Not too sure on the HP.
Bobbychet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts