Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the Vance and Hines Power Pak. I have already by-passed the clutch and neutral/kickstand switch. How did you get the starter to kick in? By pass at the plug somehow? OEM CDI has 6 prongs, V&H has 3.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Mines on an SRAD,BUT it's just plug n play.
Maybe different on your gen.:dunno
I did eventually rewire everything because I can't leave shiz alone.... well after I realized how many OEM factory functions it doesn't require.

I did actually fix mine tho......It's a pain , but open it up , and see if the motherboard has any fried spots.....

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Oh pic's......you sure that's for your gen? Don't bother contacting V&H nobody works there that knows anymore. Ask me how I know

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have Suzuki Race only CDI, but I haven't had a chance to get it from storage. But I think it was the same way...3 prongs

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If you have a wiring diagram.....you can eliminate what it does , and/or doesn't use.
I believe mine....SRAD version doesn't use the ignition resistor. it also doesn't use the TPS at all.
If you are careful it can be taken apart...if found mine must have gotten shorted out at some point. On the back of the motherboard I found one burnt spot. I was pissed so ...it was already broken...figured whats it going to hurt. i cleaned the burnt spot
/ then soldered three thin but firm copper strands together ..then soldered them to the board bridging the affected area.
Bright blue spark was back.
My happy dance was epic!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine was plug and play, but I found the bike didn't really like it very much. I didn't bypass or rewire anything.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Mine was plug and play, but I found the bike didn't really like it very much. I didn't bypass or rewire anything.
The powerpack comes with its own ignition rotor pickup with different timing. Using the powerpack by itself would make your bike run like crap.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The powerpack comes with its own ignition rotor pickup with different timing. Using the powerpack by itself would make your bike run like crap.
I have seen no information regarding this for the 1100 water coolers. None of the OEM packaging shows any new rotor. Do you have a source for this?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The timing is way different on this rotor than the stock one
Please post better pics of the wiring! I have a Factory Pro advancer on it now. I might be able to get a VH one, but it doesn't have the wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Please post better pics of the wiring! I have a Factory Pro advancer on it now. I might be able to get a VH one, but it doesn't have the wiring.
Looks same as yours, red wire is for external tach I think. I dont remember if I used that wire or not, thing has been sitting in a box on my shelf for over a decade. It worked fine with with just the 3 wires on the main connector. I was using the VH rotor though. :cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plug it in and it will not turn over. So, not plug and play! Red wire goes where?
HeJason, Hope you have some old notes or pics!

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Not turning over should have nothing to do with the CDI unit. I dont think the starter button is connected to the CDI in any way. That red wire is not used, it was for an external tach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts