Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Should I purchase the USED one, OR go with a new one?

• Purchase the USED ONE!

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Purchase the NEW ONE!

Votes: 24 70.6%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's my options -
I found a used K6 600 ...

It's being sold by a girl who can't afford to make payments on it anymore.
It's Blue/White ... It has about 1100 miles on it.
It has rashes on both left and right fairings from her dropping it at extremely low speeds. (Maybe 5-10mph) On the rear right fairings where the 600 decal is located, another deep rash which goes below the paint.
The gas tank has a paint chip on the top.
If I would replace all the damaged fairings, it would cost me about $1400 ... to get the back into a prestine condition again.

She's asking $5800 firm, won't go any lower.

My other option ...

Purchase a brand-new K6 600 Blue/White from the dealership.
The dealership gave me a price of $8280 OTD ... they gave me this price a good three-four months ago ... (They matched ARS Powersports price)

I called up ARS Powersports today and found out they received k7 600s and letting them go for $8500 OTD.

So I was thinking of going to the dealership near me and trying to discuss if they could give me the k6 600 blue/white for cheaper maybe somewhere in the high $7,500 - $7,800 range OTD considering I could pick up a k7 for $220 more.

So what do you guys think?
What would be the better buy in this situation?
If I buy the USED one, I will pay in all cash.
If I purchase the NEW one I will finance it and put down $4-5k ... finance the rest.

Opinions?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I say go new either way. It doesn't sound like you are getting that great of a deal on the used bike, since you have to put in so much just to get it looking right. Plus, who the hell want to buy a bike that has been so obviously abused? Not me! Pick which one you REALLY want, and go with it. It's not like there is that much difference in price, especially if you are going to be financing anyways.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Go new! When the difference between an 06 and an 07 is just a couple of hundred, just pony up to for the new!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am asking the same question as you. Found several 600s around in near-perfect condition with >1000 miles. Best one I've talked down to $6,800 with 998 miles on the clock. Another has about 600 miles, with a -1,+2 sprocket & chain setup for about $7,500.

$5,800 needing $1,400 in parts sounds too high. Maybe $5,000??? dunno I plan on dumping the bike myself :eek: that's the main reason I haven't just gotten new.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I would def. go with the new one, some stealerships will rob you, but Suzuki has a good finance deal, and especially if you're putting that much money down, you might as well make some payments and have a bike that hasn't been dropped/ridden by an idiot squid that doesn't know that they're doing, for all you know she coulda held the bike at redline after a cold start just to show her friends how loud it was, don't buy other peoples problems, buy new;)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
HurricaneRN said:
new, you can pick up 07 600's for 7611, why pay 7000 for a used bike that prolly hasnt been given enough throttle to seat the rings properly.
That is correct, plus by the sound of things, that bike probly wasn't broken in correctly, maintained like it should be, etc..on top of it being damaged from dropping it MORE THAN ONCE! sounds to me like it was just some idiot girl that got a bike for the "cool" factor and not for the love of riding...and that is why i like to buy new when it comes to sportbikes

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Go with the new one...........
.....unless you do not replace any of the parts and just fix and repaint the fairings on a unique color you want......that should be under $1000 and you have a unique GSXR.
Also pay attention to what people say about the break-in procedure as well as how many oil changes the bike has had.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think the used deal is a good one. Price is too high for the damage. There are lots of 06 GSXR's on the shelf now at the dealers around here. The 07's are beginning to come in, so you should find a reasonable deal on an 06. There are better deals on used 06's than this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.