Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's going on guys. I'm finally able to afford doing some track days... However, I'm torn on how I should go about it. Maybe if tell you guys more what I'm thinking, you guys could help point me in the right direction...

My 98' 600 has 28,XXX mi on it and runs like a champ. This is my first and only bike so it's my baby and I wouldn't dare sell her so that's why I was thinking I could maybe make her a track bike. Farrings are all good except they have a bit of road rash from slow speed spills so I was thinking that since they are a bit screwed anyway, I can just use them on the track instead of picking up race farrings. BUT... I think the factory farrings for my gen seem to be getting a bit more rare so maybe I should get race farrings just in case I do spill pretty good on the track???

At the same time, I'm kinda sorta in the market for a 2nd bike since I wanted to have my 600 as a track bike. I'm lookin at a K 750 around 4500-5500 range.

While looking for this 2nd bike I was looking also at people selling their race ready bikes and ran across some pretty good deals at around 3-4K.

SOOOoOO... given the age/mileage of my bike, do you guys think it's worth it to just save some money and use it as a track bike and save up for a newer 2nd bike? Or should I just hang on to my 600 as my street/commuter bike and pick up a used race ready bike?

If you guys recommend using my current 600 as a track bike, how much more life can I get out of her if I use her for 3-4 track days a year and also as a commuter bike?

Again, thanks ahead of time for all your input.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah... just to jog some inspiration... This is a pic of her about 4 years ago.

The only difference is I went down last year stupidly when I took off on a corner on my way to work a block away from my house on cold tires. Slider on the right side completely shattered when it hit the ground. Caused a small bit of road rash just under the "Z" of suzuki and scratched up my yosh pipe a bit near the tip. Pretty stupid move really but it was 5:00AM and I was late to work. I guess I wasn't awake yet. OH WELL...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Since you're comfortable with your 6 & its already a little rashed-I would rebulid the suspension & use it as a track bike & see how things go & maybe pick up a bigger bike for the street.My 1k was always a better street bike than my 6

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Go buy a cheap set of race skins from ebay or Godfathers sells their skins for 350. I would keep that bike just make sure you keep up on the maintance. Thats a good bike to use to learn riding on tracks. Like the post above I would change the fluid out on the forks and recharge the reshock and make sure everything is 100 percent.

Its a good bike so I say keep it! Having a better newer bike isnt going to make you faster. Its what you learn on the track. You can give a squid Rossi's yamaha M1 and give a decent racer an old trashed bike and the racer will run circles around the squid.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you're going to get serious about track days you're going to need new skins. From what I can gather, most tracks want you to have a fairing thats complete at the bottom. Your stock stuff should be open. This is to collect oil in case you leak. I'd get some cheap race skins

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
If you're going to get serious about track days you're going to need new skins. From what I can gather, most tracks want you to have a fairing thats complete at the bottom. Your stock stuff should be open. This is to collect oil in case you leak. I'd get some cheap race skins
None of the track org's I know require race glass, but it's a Good idea...you can sell the OEM plastic's off your SRAD to help off set the c ost of new glass, and the Duzz fasteners..and fairing stay...If your bike is in good cond....there shouldn't be a problem...I would however recomend that you safety wire the oil filter, and flush all the coolant out of the system, and replace with distillled water, and Water Wetter...

Have Fun..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ey Fellas. Thanks again. Def helps a ton. A lot of good points made.

def a good point sween. Made me crack up about your squid on M1 comment. I think the only reason I was considered purchasing an already setup race bike was because it was a newer pretty good condition bike and at the time, it seemed like more of a strategic long term purchase if I was gonna get more serious about doing track days in the future. I wasn't too concerned about more power or anything like that. Just seemed easier to start up if the bike is pretty much all already prepped with race fairings and all.

However, a good point was that I'm already comfortable on this bike so why not stick to it to learn more on the track. Absolutely!

As far as fairings go, thanks for the pointers. Thanks for the specific lead Hammer (how's it going BTW. man I remember you way back when I joined this forum in 00. sorry.. been MIA and just reading rather than posting. I really need to get past this Rookie rating. hah) I took a look at Hotbodies, Godfather and also eBay. Seems like going rate is about $400 for a complete. that's the cheapest I found anyway. I'm going for a 2 day Novice school in Aug and if I can afford it, maybe one more track day at the end of the year. Do you guys suggest hookin' up the skins now or wait till I break myself in a bit? The track doesn't require full fairings. Just the standard remove mirrors and taped up headlights. It doesn't seem likely that I'd have a hard spill in a novice school but who knows. Anything could happen yeah?

One other question that wasn't totally addressed was how much life will I get out of the bike. I know I'm just starting out on the track so I imagine it will tax the engine a bit but shouldn't be THAT hard on it right since I'm still fresh to the track? How much more maintenence is required of the bike if I intend to hit the track about 4-5 times a year? I'd hate to run the bike a couple times and have to do major engine work so soon. With 28K on it, it would seem likely. Is it true I'll have to do more frequent carb syncs, etc? It helps that my bros a mechanic so he helps me maintain it when I can't do things myself.

Again... thanks for all your guys' input. Very helpful!!! Thanks for the coolant and wire tips. Track requires the water in there but only recommends wiring up. But I'll take your suggestion and take some time to wire my bike up. Can't wait to ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts