Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left USAA back in october. Sold ZX-636. Tried to come back and was quoted 3600/yr through Progressive. Went to Statefarm. Well, last week called to complain to USAA. They said based on my rank and driving experience the would accept me for 360 every six months. The only catch was that this would only last until they dropped cycles altogether. They plan to totally drop cycles in as little as six months. I decided to stay with statefarm. This is a true story. Captain with 16 yrs of service. enlisted first for 8 yrs. THEIR IS A LOOPHOLE IF YOU JUST ASK!!!!!! HAS TO BE CLEARED BY UNDERWRITER.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's news to me??? Is this info anywhere on their web site? I just renewed my 6 month policy.

What loophole are you talking about?

·
Registered
318 Posts
What are you paying State Farm? Just curious about the difference in cost between USAA and State Farm.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm an O-5 with 27 years service (10 enlisted) and no claims or tickets in the last 16 years I've been with USAA. I spoke with one of the managers and they said Progressive and Foremost only. They never mentioned an underwriter, so I called State Farm to get a quote and it's only going to cost $360 a year more to insure my bike and five cars. My homeowner's policy is also going to go down. I'm done with USAA.

·
Registered
242 Posts
They did the same thing to me when I sold my 03. I called to cancel and check the rate on the 05 and they quoted me 4200 a year from progressive
I talked to a manager and they agreed to cover the new bike till they stop covering bikes which he said would be sometime next year I currently have a speeding ticket so statefarm wont cover me right now.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've been with USAA for ever, had 2 bike insured threw them; when do they plan to do this. Are they going to send letters out to let cutomers know about this anytime soon?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just called them. They will continue to cover existing customers, they just are not writting new policies. I was told that my current bike will always be covered by USAA as long as I choice to have it covered. Also, if I should trade in my bike for a new one they will cover the new one. The catch is.....I can replace the current bike with a new one, but cannot add an addtional bike. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm USAA also, would really like to get the skinny on this without calling and raising any flags

·
Registered
169 Posts
One more thing, I was an E5 with 5 years of service! Who cares? That's one thing that always bugged me when I was in the military........commisioned officers that thought they were better than the rest of the soldiers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, let me say I am not trying to blow smoke. Iam 36 yrs old. Captain in the Army. I have been with USAA for years. Insured three bike with them. Last bike was a ZX-636. Sold in October to buy a GSXR-1000. Called USAA in JAN05. They gave me a quote of 560/yr. In Feb I called they dasi no longer do motorcycle and Progressive quoted me 3600/yr. Went to Statefarm and they charged me 713.42/yr. Was upset and Called USSA to complain. They checked my record and said based on driving history, history with company, and rank they would submit to their underwritter. Two cars with USSA by the way. He called me Monday and said I COULD add the bike but once USAA completely drops bikes I would have to find another company. Live In MARYLAND. Just wanted to share my experience with you. If you dont believe me sorry to hear that. Nothing more to say except that USAA can make EXCEPTIONS. Take this for what it is worth. I have no reason to lie. Serves me no purpose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just sold my 03 1K and bought a 05 1K. Changed my policy with no problems. It only went up $2/month for full cov.

·
Registered
55 Posts
First, let me say I am not trying to blow smoke. Iam 36 yrs old. Captain in the Army. I have been with USAA for years. Insured three bike with them. Last bike was a ZX-636. Sold in October to buy a GSXR-1000. Called USAA in JAN05. They gave me a quote of 560/yr. In Feb I called they dasi no longer do motorcycle and Progressive quoted me 3600/yr. Went to Statefarm and they charged me 713.42/yr. Was upset and Called USSA to complain. They checked my record and said based on driving history, history with company, and rank they would submit to their underwritter. Two cars with USSA by the way. He called me Monday and said I COULD add the bike but once USAA completely drops bikes I would have to find another company. Live In MARYLAND. Just wanted to share my experience with you. If you dont believe me sorry to hear that. Nothing more to say except that USAA can make EXCEPTIONS. Take this for what it is worth. I have no reason to lie. Serves me no purpose.
I just so happen to call USAA yesterday to get an insurance quote for my soon to be purchased K5. At first the call rep told me that USAA is no longer writing motorcycle policies, however since my K2 was already insured with them I should be fine. After being on hold about five minutes, the rep came back to the phone and gave me a quote with both bikes on the policy and informed me that my quote was good for thirty days (no mention of canceling my policy later). I also live in Maryland and my insurance is 202.00 every six months for K2 and 218.00 every six for the K5.
I am a 31 year old, CIVILIAN
with 7 yrs riding experience, with no tickets or accidents for last three years.

·
Registered
165 Posts
One more thing, I was an E5 with 5 years of service! Who cares? That's one thing that always bugged me when I was in the military........commisioned officers that thought they were better than the rest of the soldiers
The rank and time in service were put in here for context purposes only. There's absolutely nothing in here that that infers officers are better than enlisted, especially since CPTHALL and I were both enlisted for longer than you were.

·
Registered
165 Posts
CPTHALL, I don't think anyone's questioning your veracity, but based on your info I called again this morning to see if there was any change in their position from the two previous phone calls I had made on this subject. I spoke to the most senior manager that was available, she reviewed my record and info and aren't budging from what I've previously been told....no new policies through USAA unless you have a current policy or get written through Progressive or Foremost. As you stated, "I COULD add the bike but once USAA completely drops bikes I would have to find another company." That doesn't sit well with me either, especially since State Farm is going to provide insurance for all my vehicles and house at a price very similar to USAA's. I'm heading to State Farm to sign my paperwork and will be calling USAA to cancel tomorrow.

For those sticking with USAA you probably want to watch your policies in the future because if they drop motorcycles completely as they say they are going to do and put you under Progressive or Foremost you're probably going to have the following looks on your face

·
Registered
347 Posts
These idiots drop bikes totally and I can only imagine the hit their business is going to take. I REFUSE to have to deal with 2 insurance companies, so I will be moving my homeowners and both cars from them if they drop drop my bike, and I am sure I am not the only one who will....

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I just called them. They will continue to cover existing customers, they just are not writting new policies. I was told that my current bike will always be covered by USAA as long as I choice to have it covered. Also, if I should trade in my bike for a new one they will cover the new one. The catch is.....I can replace the current bike with a new one, but cannot add an addtional bike. I hope this makes sense.
I think this sums it up and it makes sense
Glad I already had a policy with them and I'm glad you can change bikes and keep your policy

The only reason I would need to add a second bike would be as a track bike and they will not insure those anyway

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I am a Usaa member aswell. I heard the rumor about them dropping bikes a few months back. Mind you I have been a member with them since 93 and have never had a claim, no tickets. My house, car, truck and both bikes are insured through them. I called them and they said if you have other vehicles, house and what not through them that it would be no problem. I guess if you just have a bike and want to get is insurence you are screwed. Thats what it sounded like to me when I talked to the lady.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Allright guys...it's funny how everyone claims to know what's going on based on a phone call.

USAA's policies are policies. The company is there to help their military members and members in general and so exceptions are made on occasion. It doesn't mean it's a loophole and not everyone gets the same chances. Everything is looked at when deciding on whether or not to make exceptions, from loss history to membership time, to what vehicles are on the policy to what location you are in. It all makes a difference.

You are correct in that USAA is not taking new business for mc's. They offer coverage through the General agency of USAA using Progressive or Foremost. The profits made by these companies are then given back to you in the forms of divedends just as if you were still directly under usaa. Keep in mind this is only because you have the policy through the General agency. Normally these companies would keep the profits and pay their stockholders if you went with them direct.

If you have a current MC...you're fine for the time being. If you replace your current MC, you're fine for the time being. IF you buy a second motorcycle, normally it will be referred to the GA. That's it and it's that simple. Based on loss trends, the severity of the losses, and high number of occurances, you really can't blame them for dropping the MC's. Most companies won't take MC's, and if they do...well, you know what the rates are like. The rates that most people get with USAA and State Farm are probably the lowest in the country for full coverage. That's because BOTH companies are taking the hit due to the fact that almost every policy with a motorcycle on it has at least 1 loss from a motorcycle. Think about it. ..with all the dipshits out there doing wheelies and racing/weaving through traffic, would you want to financially back them? It's just common sense. A company can't "be there" for you if they keep losing money due to idiots on bikes. Just for the record...I have my 1k with USAA and got a quote from State Farm that was a little lower for the same coverage just about. Im not going to switch my motorcycle over though until I absolutely have to. Why? Because I know what USAA stands for, and they are second to none in terms of helping you when you need it. They are financially stronger then every other insurance company out there, and even then, they don't keep profits. They give them back to you. That says something about them. I can not put that kind of faith in any other company.

It's life. You want insurance rates to go back down? You want more companies to insure bikes? Stop being morons when you ride them.

That's just reality.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts