Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I decided to do the air box mod on my 96 750. They say not to do but I figured what the hell!
After I completed the air box mod I had a slight hesitation around 11,500-12,000 rpm's, not too bad.
Then I decided to buy a UNI foam filter for more air!!
That was the straw that broke the camel's back! It ran like crap over 8-9,000 rpm's. SO......I've been calling all kinds of different tech lines looking for help on jet size and what else I would need to fix the problem. Well, everyone says it is the main jets and I don't want to spend $114.95 just for 4 main jets!?! SO I DID IT..................
I took out my main jets which had been replaced before with 130's, and I drilled them out with a 1/16th drill bit!!!!!! I used to do this on my old hot rod cars so I figured if I screwed it up it didn't matter, I was gonna buy jets anyway?!

<h5>My bike Screams now!!!</h5>

I must be blessed by the main jet gods because I think I hit it exactly!!
I can feel the power, it has no hesitation and sounds awesome through the rev's!

Maybe this wasn't exactly by the book, but It worked and it worked well!

*update* Just got back from test ride and it has tons more mid range and very smooth up to redline!! I am bouncin off the wall! I finally found the power boost I was lookin for!

[ 08-27-2002, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: outcold ]

G

·
wow! talk about things turning out well, good to hear that things worked out ok...
i guess you were in a position where you could experiment like that, and its turned out good!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not my everyday transportation so I can screw it up and still make it to work.

Of course, I knew what I was doin!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You might want to try and find out what jet size that would be.. that way if you ever have a problem you know you can just buy this one jet size...

All and all, congrats... Do you have a dyno you can get on??? I would love to see a power curve for it now..

John

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if there is a conversion chart or formula somewhere that I could use to figure out what size jets I have now?

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
That's awesome man! I'd stil get it checked whenever you can on a dyno or something. You sure it's not running rich/lean, whatever... but hey, power is power

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's for sure not lean! Rich??? It runs fine with no hesitation or bog or anything. I haven't checked my plugs to see whats up, but it feels "right on".

I've been runnin the Sh^t out of it and I swear, I must have got like 5hp on my mid range! I can't believe the difference it has made. It starts around 6000rpm's and just rockets from there.
I strongly recommend the airbox mod, free flow filter and "super sized" jets to anyone with a Carbed GSXR 750!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hey outcold i got a request can you take the tps connector and take the harness off ride it like that and see what the result is the little black cap. I am just curious to know. Thanks that if you got time

·
Registered
17,982 Posts
I think you are on lucky sumbitch, wanna do mine

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have heard of so many different mods to the air box, what exactly did you do to yours? I have a 96 750 with a few mods, more to come this winter!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I did for the Air Box Modification was follow the instructions of the other posts on Gixxer. If you look at the 2 pics below (I saved these pics off another post on how to do it)it shows before and after shots. I just cut out the half of the oval inside the air box which lets it get more air and I suppose builds pressure in the air box. I also added a UNI filter which let it take advantage of the available air. It ran bad after that and everyone said I needed bigger main jets, SO, Instead of spending a lot of money, I got out the drill and I have bigger main jets now!! I also have a full yoshimura RS-3 exhaust, and it all works great together.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
did the mod to my 98 600.. need to get jetted HORRIBLY!! Thoguht about drilling out mine.. but I've never disassembled a carburator before, little nervous of the whole thing. (I do all the work on my car and bike myself otherwise) - After I get some cash together I'm definitly getting it jetted.. hopefully I'll REALLY be able to dust my buddys cbr afterwords

- G

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I'd toss my own experience in here
I came across the airbox mod on here some time ago and decided to try it this weekend on my 97 750. Took it out for a ride and, as Outcold mentions, it ran like crap at higher rpms
Came back here and searched some more and found out that this mod isn't recommended for carb'd Gixxers
Doh! Searched some more and found this thread so I repeated Outcold's steps. My jets were 125's on the inner two and 127.5's on the outer two and I have a D&D pipe (slip-on I believe, how do you tell if the 4-1 part is stock?). I wanted to try moving the outside jets to the inside and then opening up the 125's until they were a smidge bigger than the 127.5's but all I had handy was a 1/16" drill bit just like Outcold. So, I drilled them all out to 1/16" and took it for a spin. Runs much better now with the airbox mod. I think the midrange is better than before the mod but I'm not so sure about the top end. Seems the same as before if not actually a little worse but it's really tough to tell with the change in the midrange. It isn't as much of a lightswitch surge anymore so I suppose that may be why it doesn't feel as strong up there. Thanks OUtcold for posting this, otherwise I'd still be kicking myself for doing the airbox mod and I'd be surfing eBay looking for another airbox

I bought this thing in CA and it used to lift the front tire just by riding out first gear. It'd hit that power band and up would come the tire
Ever since I moved to CO I can't get that tire off the ground for the life of me
I was hoping this mod would restore the lost power from the change in elevation but alas no. I think it's time to trade this in on a 1000

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You need to re-jet for the new altitude.. Higher = leaner...

John

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am getting a 98 600 SRAD on saturday, and have been reading up on the mods. The bike is going to come with a K&N jet kit uninstalled, the seller says it's a stage 3 kit, but I'll know for sure when I get there. Can someone tell me what I can expect to pay (USD) to have this installed? And if this kit will help with the airbox mod?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I did the same mod on my 96 750 and It pulled cleanly to redline, felt stronger above 6krpm. I had to put 145/142.5 out/in main jets to get it to run well. I was surprised it was that easy to get it zeroed (I just went lots bigger on the mains as a first guess and got it dynoed). Everybody should do it, very easy horsepower.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you are at all mechanically inclined these kits are pretty easy to install. The only somewhat tricky part is drilling out the plugs over the air/fuel screws if your bike has them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Outcold, thats a pretty damned impressive story, glad things worked for you. Nice bike by the way looks ALOT like my 98 750. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has recently tried this on a FI bike? Results? Thanks, RADSRAD

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
i did it on my 99.....excellent sound, and feels a bit larger in the higher revvs.....i also did the power commander, so no idea how it works on the stock ecu settings....should be a problem tho...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts