Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update - 98 race engine in bike (doesn\'t sound good)

Ok, I got the engine yesterday and put it in and hook it up all today, and put in new oil, water and NUTEC 93 octane racefuel(14$ a gallon). I drained out all the old 89 octane fuel and emptied out the fuel rail, and then filled it up with the new fuel. Started the bike up and it sounds like there is a rattlecan of marbles in the bottom of the engine(at idle, gets better above 4k rpms).
I was told the NUTEC could handle up to 15:1 CR without detonating, but I'm not sure what is going on. I think I need to retard the ignition about 4 degrees from stock at idle, and see if that gets rid of the sound. (Running stock ignition timing now.)

I'm also going to do a compression test on the engine to see just how much pressure there is on the compression stroke.
I hope I can figure this out, but if anybody has any input, please let me know.

TIA.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Re: Update - 98 race engine in bike (doesn\'t sound good)

Is the CCT good??

You do know that when you do the comp test you should hold it at WOT or remove the TBs correct.

John

·
Registered
9,334 Posts

hey man did you buy that 98 race motor from a guy in Massachusetts?? 3mm overbore, webcams, etc etc!??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeh .. that's it(that's the motor). I got it running fine now.. running on C12 race fuel (108 octane) plus a powercommander hooked up with a full rich on all settings. Sounds great and should pull like a raped ape....once I get it the rightside switch assembly fixed.....little pin broke..
I'll have it dyno'd when I get the map from the former owner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts