Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 GSXR 750. It has stock forks and rear shock any time I hit a bump while turning it feels like its just going to fall over. Front and rear feel like they there not connected. I reset the front forks he only had them turned out 1 from full hard top and bottom .
I backed it off 1 1/2 turns from full didn't help. Thinking of going back another half or full. Just wondering what the track guys think. I'm 5'11 195lbs. Also I just came off a CBR 600F3 that was real stable it could be that I'm just not used to it.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by gsxrster:
get a manual , re-set the suspension to STOCK then start to tweak it from there .
stock settings are adequate for most riders , SUZUKI set these bikes up pretty well
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There is no such thing as stock... You have to set the bike for you... Mainly the wieght... If you set the valves to the recomened settings it is a good place to start... But you need to set the sag for you... Also, you should look at getting some new springs...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Ok first you need new springs... The stock ones will not hold you correct.

What is your sag set to? How long since the shock and forks have been serviced? How many miles?

There are a lot of things... Tire PSI? Head bearings tight? Swingarm bearing good??

John

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
get a manual , re-set the suspension to STOCK then start to tweak it from there .
stock settings are adequate for most riders , SUZUKI set these bikes up pretty well

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
you dont need new springs. put everything back to stock settings, i'll tell you what that is if need be.
sounds to me though, that your not relaxing on the bike and its not being allowed to do the work for you, i used to do this years ago with the same symtoms, even experienced riders tense up without knowing it. so RELAX, its gonna be ok.
other than that, your a touch heavy for stock (no your not a fat git, just the stock settings are for skinney ass japs) so you'll firstly need more preload, for instance. get a post on how to set the bike up for you, but most important of all is sag, and a cable tie on the fork leg will tell you how much unused travel you've got left, after a trash, this wants to be about 5mm. just take it from there...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
yeah but......but......
would a little difference in spring weight put an end to his handling problems, he like i might not be pushing the bike to the limit. unless he's riding like a mad hatter i'd have thought he could dial out about any problem. do enjoy reading your (gsxr freak)posts though, i'm good at sticking my nose ini i know who my questions will be aimed at when having difficulties ! but.....them springs.........lol like anything, just my opinion..

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think he has more than just basic setting problems,it would have to be pretty bad to make you think it's gonna fall over all the time.I would reccomend (as mentioned by someone else)a good going over,service forks and shock,check and adjust/replace steering head bearings & swingarm/linkage bearings & check wheel alignment.Once this is done you will know there are no other problems and can set up the suspension.You sure about those springs John?I weigh about 90kg which is pretty close to his weight and have never found mine too soft.(or is the 98 softer?)One other thing,what are the tyres like.It sounds silly but did you check the pressure?Just a thought

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Maybe they used a different spring in the UK bikes... but I had mine tested and they were way to soft.. Also, pre race tech they are rated for a 160lb ish rider...

Dont get me wrong... I ran my stock springs for a long time... I was able to drag knee... and rip up the street with them... Did it work much better with the correct spring??? YES! lol

You can work out most of the problems with the stock springs, but it would make the bike work much better. It is the riders call...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
you need new springs... SAG DOES NOT MAKE UP FOR SPRING. Sag is used to adjust the spring. If the spring is ment for a 160lb rider, how could it work correct for a 195lb rider? It cant. It will get you by, but it would work TONs better with the correct springs.

John

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
to settle this ....the prob is he's not going fast enough

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Well, I have to agree with John..re: the springs are too soft..I only weigh 170lb..w/o gear..and after John redid my forks, I noticed a big difference..for the better I might add..It would also depend on how hard ya ride..I suppose for just cruisin, and hittin the twisties every now and then..the stockers might work, at least until ya grab a handful of brakes, and the front end dives like a mofo..and also I might add, that he did my shock for me also..with the right springs in the forks, and shock, along with some way better valving..I'd have to say that my suspension is prolly 110% better than stock..
So Id definitly look into having the fork springs, and shock resrung..
I'm not saying this is the CURE to your problems..if something else is causing your bike to act wierd..but having a good suspension inspires confidence..IMHO..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have to agree with Hammer 4.

I've watched his bike in action, and it doesn't pitch or bob, and the tires stay in contact with the road, rather in bounce, skip, or chatter like my bike. His suspension is awesome to watch on the road.

Steve B

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the info. I'll look at revalve and springing my forks. There is this really trick GSXR 1000 inthe area who had Dynatech do it said it works really well.
I have come to grips with the machine I adjusted damping and that really soomthed it out over the bumps. They front was way to stiff so i back it ou one full turn and the rear was to soft cranked that in 1 half turn. Road my favorite local twisty and it worked really well losts ohfun
I'm taking it to my local race shop ERICO MOTORSPORTS to have the add more preload to the rear. Also think of adding a new rear shock ethier Penske or Ohlins.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
dan here again. i have exactly the same bike as you and run stock suspension just tweaked slightly for my preferences. i have mates, go on runs with others on some top top tackle. blades, r1s, other gixers, sp1's and other stuff and alot of them have wp, ohlins shocks, revalved forks, weightier springs stc etc etc but i still cane 'm all on stock gear. unless your riding past the stock bikes capabilities, stick to that cus the bikes better than you unless your real, real real bleedin good !! and if you can ride the wheels off a stock gsxr 750, then suzuki will pay you a lot of money to you you racing troy bayliss and co in world supers. Ex racer Steve Parrish did a test on these sort of bikes earlier this year and said exactly the same thing. hope no one shouts at me now !!!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The bike on stock settings with my 200lb ass plus gear still feels OK. Yes it would be improved with re-springing and valving, but it ain't bad set up stock

"Flopping" into turns is usually headstock bearings gone loose. Check all the variables before spending a whole lot of dough on suspension set-up, i.e. pressures, bearings, wheel alignment etc.

Having said that, if you're gonna spend money on your bike, suspension is probably the best thing to spend it on (says me with stock suspension
)

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You dont have to get the revalves done... But it does make it a lot more nice to ride the bike.
The bike ride smoother and a lot more plush if you set it up for you. Even if you do nothing more then get the correct springs for your wieght... It would make a night and day difference...

Will the new stuff make as fast a nicky? NO.. will you like the ride more? I can tell you that I have yet to have someone bitch about it.

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts