Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new UNI air filter on eBay for $2.50.
It was $8 with shipping, so I figured why not.

Wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these filters ?

Is rejetting required if used with stock exhaust ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If it is a drop-in filter for the stock airbox, you could probably get by without rejetting. But if I were you, I would get a stage one jet kit.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
prolly so your increasing the air flow which will increase the gas flow which you would need to increase the exhaust flow too. i hear the best way is after you ut the stuff on is get it dynoed. and rejetted from a shop

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Expensive! Expensive! I would just go for the stage one and leave it at that. But I'm a poor man.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
if you start fu$#&*in with the jetting your bike won't even run till you put it back how it was. unless your a jet pro.?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Not true. In terms of needles, just keep trying grooves until you get the mid dialed in. The main jets will often be close enough. And the pilots, well, just dial them in by ear. I've jetted probably 50 bikes, not using a dyno, and they've all run perfectly after dialing everything in. Given, on a dyno, you can extract the maximum hp. But for most folks, you can get pretty close with just a jet kit and a couple hours of work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey PAgsxr,
Do you still haev the original carbs in it? IF yes, try to save up for the "slingshot carbs" (1988-91 gsxr 750). You will notice a huge improvement with no flat spots (as long as its jetted properly). I am note sure how restrictive the original airbox was but what you bought can't hurt. If it doesn't work, at least it didn't cost and arm and a leg.
PS if you do go to the slingshot carbs try and see if the 88 airbox fits your frame because I was running it with that.
LUbos

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
the 88-92 750 airboxes will not fit the first generation bikes. completely different.

you know, i have an 86 750 with stage 3 jetted 36mm carbs with K&N's and another 86 750 with the stock 31mm carbs with stage 3 jetting along with the K&N's; and can honestly tell you that i really do not notice a big difference.

i am not trying to say you are wrong or that the 36mm carbs are not better (because they are), but if you can get the 31-34mm carbs with the individual K&N's dialed in, there is not that big of a difference in street riding with the 86's.

but then again, i would really like to put my bikes on a dyno to note any differences just for comparisons sake. i'm just saying this from my riding experiences with my bikes.

maybe people out there in gixxer land might have different opnions.

anyhows, to reply to PA, i don't have any experience with UNI filters on an 86 750, so just install the air-filter and see how the bike runs. it should be apparent if you have to re-jet it or not. is it a foam filter?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you still haev the original carbs in it?
Yes, stock carbs.

Thanks for the replies.

The "slingshot carbs" are probably the way to go.
But at the moment I'm not really looking for performance gains
just a filter that is better than the stock paper one.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyhows, to reply to PA, i don't have any experience with UNI filters on an 86 750, so just install the air-filter and see how the bike runs. it should be apparent if you have to re-jet it or not. is it a foam filter?
Yes foam.

I'll probably do that and see if it still runs good.

But if I were you, I would get a stage one jet kit.
.......and rejetted from a shop
So even with the stock airbox and exhaust you guys are saying I should still rejet my bike ?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The leaner you run that thing, the hotter your valves run. I would get a stage one. On the other hand, if you want to go the poorman's route, go up one size on the mains, shim the needles, and re-tune the mixture screws. That should keep your chambers cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts