Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this bike up about 2 weeks ago after trading in my 03 600. My initial impression (after my 600mile brake-in) isnt as good as i had hoped.

I recieved the bike on a saturday afternoon. As i left the dealer i took the bike for a typical saturday ride with a few of the regular hoolagans. Being my first new bike, i was babying the bike all day, but i knoticed a few things i was unhappy about. The bike felt like it was on ice skates, the brakes were mushy and the instrument cluster was not setup for US Units. I took the bike back to the garage that night, I wanted to take off the tail, reflectors and stickers. I took out the trunk manual, turns out the cluster just had to be reset with the buttens, all good there. I checked my tire pressure while i was there, turns out i had been riding with 45psi in both front and rear tires... Now i get to wondering if the dealer preped this bike at all... I decided to continue by checking the mushy brakes, i bled the brakes, turns out both front calipers and the rear caliper had air in them.

Needless to say, im not a happy camper. Im wondering what you guys think. Were all these issues just careless mistakes by the dealer or did i get a lemon? Does anyone know how a bike arives at a dealer? How much assembly is required by the individual dealer?

Other issues im still unhappy with are:
  • Choppyness in on/off throttle transition.
  • Bouncey/harsh suspension.
  • Gas mileage in comparison to my 03 600 seems shitty.
  • Front left Ram-Air fencing gone?
Anyways, lemme know what you guys think, i plan on doing my 600mile service somtime this week.

Reactions: Avplayer

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of griping over your dealer. Not so much the bike. The suspension is a no brainer, you obviously dont have it properly setup for your weight. Maybe you got lucky and didnt have to do that to your 03, but thats probably the single most important thing you can do and its free.

Gas mpg might be worse that your 03, in fact I dont doubt it, but did your 03 have 109hp stock? This is a race bike, not a grocery getter. I get about 48mpg on average. If I beat the piss out of it I get 35mpg. Thats an ass ton better than my turbo diesel F250.

Choppiness never bothered me as Im used to four stroke motocrossers. I did notice a rediculously better silkiness in the shifting and on/off chop when I put 100% synthetic Motul 300v in. No joke, it was amazing the difference. Wait another 3k miles and try it out. Fuckin awesome.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, when I bought mine, I sent the dealer a disposable camera and he took pics of it from when they got it to full essembly. From what I gather, it comes in a wooden crate, almost fully essembled. The little things like mirrors, wind screen, seat, rear cowl, and battery are the only things he told me that they have to put on/in the bike, and from the pics sitting in the crate, it checked out. Was pretty cool to see...
Anyways, they are required to run a (?#) point inspection checklist, just like a car.
Its obvious they didn't do a very good job, and I would call the dealer and ask him what they did and do they have the checklist available, if they didn't already give it to you. When I bought mine, he gave it to me so I had proof that it was completed and what all they did. Sorry, I don't have mine available, or I would scan it and post it up.
Sounds to me like it was just careless, not a lemon, so far from what you have said.
All in all, it was a good catch and I bet more people will check their bikes if they haven't already!! That should be the first thing people do, anyways, IMO. I know I did, and everything checked out fine, including the brakes when I bled them. Good luck and enjoy the bike:) Its bad A$$:punk

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
well greg, the tires, they ALWAYS do that, they ahve to overinflate tires to make sure the bead sits right, but they always forget to bring em back down...

choppyness is a "problem" with the 04-05's aswell....powercommander and r1 throtlle tube, probelm solved

suspension was due to it not bein tuned, (remember, ur last bike was set up at Washington cycles) plus the overinflated tires

can't say about the brakes as mine were fine when i bought the bike but delaer error culd be to blame

ur gonna burn more gas cuz its a more powerful engine....more power, more fuel...plus ur last bike was geared and i don't think u had a speedohealer on it hence it showed better mileage than u were actually gettin

as far as ur ram air frence missing :scratch bad luck?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the stealership, not the bike. As for the tires... this happens a lot with cars too, when they are shipped from overseas. When my buddy bought an 05 Pontiac GTO (obviously coming from Australia) he thought it felt weird too, and the tires squealed every time he took a corner, even moderately. He finally realized his tires were pumped up to about 50 psi all the way around and were supposed to be at 35-ish. A dealer once told me that is common practice and it makes it easier to tie down the car/bike... they have to tie it down so hard so it doesnt tip or slide and it puts a lot of pressure on the tires.
I dunno about the brakes though man... sounds like neither the factory nor the stealership did their job in that dept. I'd complain. Thats very unsafe to let you ride away with those conditions... especially without 100% braking power.

All in all, I'd say get the bike right so it rides the way it was meant to, and blame the damn stealership, not Suzuki. The bike's fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 300 miles on my new 750 K7 and have had no problem with dealer setup items. The bike is perfect out of the box, though I will setup the suspension for my weight (assuming I need to) after breakin.

My other bike is an 06 KTM 450XC, so I don't notice on-off choppiness at all:biggrin

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'd say give it some time... once u get some miles on it maybe it will feel better... if not hell take it to another dealer and have them check it out.... can't hurt.... good luck

·
Registered
378 Posts
FkingSUV said:
I checked my tire pressure while i was there, turns out i had been riding with 45psi in both front and rear tires... Now i get to wondering if the dealer preped this bike at all... I decided to continue by checking the mushy brakes, i bled the brakes, turns out both front calipers and the rear caliper had air in them.

Needless to say, im not a happy camper. Im wondering what you guys think. Were all these issues just careless mistakes by the dealer or did i get a lemon? Does anyone know how a bike arives at a dealer? How much assembly is required by the individual dealer?

Anyways, lemme know what you guys think, i plan on doing my 600mile service somtime this week.
When I got my new 750 a month ago, the tires had around the same PSI in them. I lowered them down a bit for better traction.

As far as the air in your brake system, that's just a bad job at prepping the bike. Bleed the brakes and it should be fine.

The Choppyness is because you're on a 750 bro, you're not on a 600 no more.

The stock suspension settings are way too soft. If you set your static sag on the front and rear suspension, it will fix that problem. I just recently set mine and it made a huge difference in the riding experience.

The gas mileage is definately going to be worse. You're on a 750, not a 600. More power usually means a decrease in MPG.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Yeah, I'd blame it on the dealer. I just happen to work in the assembly/service department of a local dealership here in NJ and it is my job to make sure the bike rides perfectly.
The gixxers arrive in metal crates covered by cardboard. Once opened, there is little assembly required. For example, we must TORQUE the steering stem nut, front brake lever, mirrors, windshield and adjust the clutch cable. Once they are assembled we check the tire pressure which is 42 psi in the rear and 36 in the front. All of the bikes come with about 25 psi in each wheel. Then we gas them up, check the oil level and take them out for a test ride during which we check for any defects.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is too bad you have had to adjust/fix things that the dealership was supposed to take care of. I'm with everybody else, the finger pointing goes to the dealership. Take it to another dealer and don't go back to the one you bought the bike from.....they lose your business with their bad practices.

·
Registered
86 Posts
also realize that gas mileage on any new engine regardless of what it is is gonna suck....my first couple of tanks i averaged about 33 mpg and i rode it like a fucking granny, never shifted above 6k rpms...now i beat the living shit out of it and get 30-35 mpg, if i baby it ill get 45-50.... same thing with my evo, first few tanks got 18-19 mpg and now with 2200 miles ill get about 23 mpg as long as i dont make the turbo spool up all the time...:cheers

·
Registered
539 Posts
Choppyness in on/off throttle transition.
Bouncey/harsh suspension.
Gas mileage in comparison to my 03 600 seems shitty.
Front left Ram-Air fencing gone?
My first reaction to your post is that you need to find a different dealer. The one you bought from is crap.

on/off throttle - chances are, given your other problems, is that you merely need to set up the correct free play (its in the handbook). easy to do and WILL make a big difference if its off!

suspension - crap as standard, needs to be set up, start with the SAG and work from there.

my own mileage is as good as I have had from any other bike, may just be because she is new although it didnt seem to affect my own bike much. If it continues take her to another dealer for a check up.

mesh from air intake, warranty!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took a brand new 06 750 out for a test drives yesterday ( as in BRAND New - zero km on the odometer ) and I noticed that the brakes were horrible as well. Since the bike was still covered in shipping grease I imagine it had something to do with this. Either way, it doesnt hurt to check them out.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
You got a bad ass bike dude, no worries. I think Suzuki just doesnt set them up as good as they should be out of the factory. You expect it to be perfect out off the show room floor and more often than not there are a lot of little things that need to be done to get it right.

In some reviews I have read, I have noticed the Suzukis getting bad marks for things and it is simply because the factory did not take the time to bleed the brakes right, or bleed the steering damper right, or some suspension setting. The testors dont take the time to fine tune everything they just jump on them and go to work. It is somewhat disappointing, but in the end I dont mind. It gives me something to do when I am not riding instead of just sitting there looking at it. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the input everyone. Im gonna run by the dealer on lunch tomarrow and attempt to get them to take car of some of the issues. hopfully they will get me a new ramair grill.

·
The Crazy Hungarian
2,548 Posts
FkingSUV said:
I picked this bike up about 2 weeks ago after trading in my 03 600. My initial impression (after my 600mile brake-in) isnt as good as i had hoped.

I recieved the bike on a saturday afternoon. As i left the dealer i took the bike for a typical saturday ride with a few of the regular hoolagans. Being my first new bike, i was babying the bike all day, but i knoticed a few things i was unhappy about. The bike felt like it was on ice skates, the brakes were mushy and the instrument cluster was not setup for US Units. I took the bike back to the garage that night, I wanted to take off the tail, reflectors and stickers. I took out the trunk manual, turns out the cluster just had to be reset with the buttens, all good there. I checked my tire pressure while i was there, turns out i had been riding with 45psi in both front and rear tires... Now i get to wondering if the dealer preped this bike at all... I decided to continue by checking the mushy brakes, i bled the brakes, turns out both front calipers and the rear caliper had air in them.

Thats how it comes in the crate. The only thing is the clutch lever, battery and the windscreen the dealer have to put on. I got mine in the crate. I told to the dealer i don't want to touch anybody but ME first time.....:cheers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.