• UFC MMA today

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rented the UFC Classics from Blockbuster a couple of days ago and watched how different the UFC is compared to now.

Just a thought but which do you like more. When the UFC first started back in the 90's it was Karate vs. Kickboxing, Jiu-Jitsu vs. Boxing, Kickboxing vs. Tae Kwon Do. etc.etc. There also was no weight class, no gloves, no time limit or rounds.

Do you prefer the old'n days of fighters using only the arsenal of their martial art discipline, or the MMA style that fighters use now. The one thing i like about MMA now is the versatility of the fighters and to mix the traditional arts to become a very well rounded fighter. When you put two of the same fighters with similar skills it becomes a fight that almost looks like it depends on who conditioned to become the better/stronger fighter. On the other hand in the earlier UFC matches the fighters were martial art purist who used only what they learned/studied. If made for an entertaining sight to see a boxer go down with no ground game against a Gracie and literally get choked out in under 2 minutes of the fight.

I suppose with the evolution of the fighters and the brutality of the sport from the beginning is why they started to mix things up later on.

·
Thugnificent
10,609 Posts
UFC MMA Today and here is why.

The fighters are better rounded fighters (at least some are). Now, the best fighters know some Kickboxing, Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, and Muay Thai. The fighters are more athletic than before, other than some fat-ass that gets into the cage, running around swinging his arms.

The UFC is far better than what it was before.

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
I have to say now. I would watch fights before and get bored because there were only a few marquis fighters. Now there are so many fighters to cheer for. I feel that every fight is decent, although I feel they have called some fights prematurely (especially when compared to the fights of old).

I do find it ironic that the UFC was started as a no rule organization, and slowly but surely it is moving towards boxing style sectioning.

·
Faps to Fantasy Football, and fails at that even
10,194 Posts
def now, back in the day there were no weight classes, no gloves, and less rules (knees to down opp, etc) it was a barbarrick bar fight of sorts. Today's MMA fighters are extremely well rounded and have adapted to the sport, not neccassarily in a good way, current evidence Brock Lesnar laying on Heath herring for 15 minutes. He couldnt finich him and had a weak, ground game. I've seen this many times with wrestlers, Josh Koscheck was renoun for the lay and pray. Ref's are getting better at standing opponents back up though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would say now, for obvious and already spoken reasons. However, nothing beats the clash of arts.

From a personal stand point, being well rounded helps a great deal and puts on a better show for the veiwers.:punk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I definately say the modern UFC. I like seeing the versatility of well rounded fighters. I enjoy fights on the ground or standing up. Watching Dan Severn was pretty awesome though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's another one for you guys:

The old UFC tough ones, like Royce Gracie, Pat Smith, ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott, Dan Severn all in their prime with their own fighting style Vs. the New UFC fighters like GSP, BJ Penn, Rampage, Chuck Liddell etc. Do you feel that the old fighters in their prime would have a chance against the newer fighters of today regardless of the rules an regulations or maybe lack there of?

It is almost a tough call, but i would be inclined to believe the new fighters of today would have more of an edge only because of their ground game. The only concern i would have with the older fighters is really their experience and physical toughness, however the new fighters are a lot stronger. I guess there is that old age saying
The young fear the old because of their experience, but the old fear the young because of their fierceness.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also say present day UFC, but to pay homage to the classic UFC, here is my favorite fight... Gracie vs Kimo

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was from UFC 3 -That Gracie vs Kimo was a pretty good fight, but when Gracie was supposed to fight in the finals there after he couldn't fight because of the shoulder issue he had with Kimo the round before, Gracie's corner had to throw the towel in and accept a DQ on his end. When the finals came and Gracie's corner informed the announcers that Royce wasn't able to fight, Kimo ran into the ring boasting how he made Gracie so worn out that he couldn't find in the finals. There was just something about Kimo that i didn't really like, Maybe it was his cockiness or that fact that he was like some super God boy or something. Not that there is nothing wrong with that, But most people who make an entrance just walk through, while Kimo's entrance was him walking with a large cross on his back. What was really funny was his corner man named Joe Son who fought in UFC 4 and had the same entrance, he had the big ass cross on his back. Funny thing was as he was walking Joe Son(5'4") looked like he could barely hold up the cross himself and slumped his way down to the octagon.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Haha, I vaughly remember that. I just love that fight because in a time when UFC was just thought to be "street fighting" this technical jiu jitsu was spectacular to watch. Gracie came in at 170 lbs and Kimo tipped the scale at 250 lbs and was submitted in just a few minutes... what a bad @$$

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fight with Gracie and Dan Severn in UFC 4 was good also. Seeing someone with a wrestling back ground who really outweighed gracie was a good match because it showed Gracies bjj tenacity and technicality. It almost made you think that Severn was going to win because although both were top notched ground experts Gracie proved to be the victor because of his ability on the ground. It goes to show that even with a guy as big as Severn can be taken down with the correct training and tenacity of a Gracie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts