Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought (like an hour ago!) a 1988 GSX-R 1100 from a total dumbass and I need some advice. THe guy I bought this thing from had left it out in the rain and other elements for over a year, never even starting it during that time, so I KNOW it's gonna need some work. Engine fires right up when you bypass the clutch safety, but sounds shitty as all hell. Clutch lever only goes in about 1/4 inch, then stiff and immoveable. Can't tell if the tranny works cos the shifter lever is jammed. As you can probably tell, i like fixer-upper projects (I've been restoring/modifying VW Beetles for 4 years and building kit cars for 2 years now, FUN!) however, I won't lie, I don't know shit about motorcycles, never even ridden one (Yeah, go ahead and rip me for being a total squid, blahblahblah "You got a fucked-up Gixxer for your first bike? What a dumbass!" etc. etc.) So, I guess what I'm asking is this. 1.) What work will this bike need? not just to fix it, but to get it running SMOOTH (what would YOU do to a bike thats been sitting outside in the weather for a year?). 2.) How much is this gonna cost? I throw pizzas for a living, so naturally I don't earn very much $$$. 3.) Is it even worth it to fix this thing up? I bought it for $500 thinking I came away with a steal...until I got it home... 4.) Am I gonna kill myself trying to have this be my first bike? I'm a very patient driver, never been in a car wreck (including my SCCA Rally races in my '91 Corrado) and I know I'm gonna have to take learning to ride a bike VERY slowly and VERY seriously. My fiance would be really pissed if I dropped this thing (more for the bike than for me, i think, she LOVES the Gixxer styling, and so do I!). I guess my MAIN QUESTION IS: WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO? Thanks!

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Re: UBER-Squiddie got his first bike (a Gixxer) and would like some advice from you pros

hmmm, what does the platics look like on that thing?

how much will it cost? its up to you.

get a shop manual and check out my project pages as I rebuild my 88 1100 www.gixxer.com/project

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Mr Gixxer ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Re: UBER-Squiddie got his first bike (a Gixxer) and would like some advice from you pros

at the very least, the motor oil and filter should be changed (used oil tends to do nasty things to the motor internals when left by itself for a long time), the tank is probably rusting, the carbs will need to be thoroughly cleaned....and do the usual tuneup stuff....replace the air filter if necessary, change plugs, check valve clearances, etc.

the shift lever not moving doesn't sound good, though.....you should be able to shift it even without the clutch pulled in if you roll the bike back and forth a bit. maybe something's jamming the outer shift mechanism.....you'll need to pop the clutch cover off (and probably remove the clutch) to check that out. otherwise, you'll have to drop the motor and split the cases to get to the tranny.

if you've got experience rebuilding car motors, a bike motor should be no problem.....get a factory service manual for the bike, it'll cover pretty much everything you'd ever want to do....

it shouldn't break the bank if you do all of the work yourself......unless the motor is completely toast.

in the worst case, you could always part out the bike, sell the stuff on ebay, and actually make a bit of money.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

In response to Mr. Gixxer, i'm not too worried about the plastics (they can ALWAYS be replaced) but it is VERY clear that this bike has been dropped. more than twice. On both sides.

Jeff-Would an oil washout do any good? Fill with new oil, run, drail, repeat? oh, and I found out just now that the shift lever DOES move. Very well, in fact. there was a friggin' acorn stuck behind it...

·
Banned
11,514 Posts

is your bike still the stock colors?

I will have some stock plastics and tank for sale soon

you will want to flush the oil, and have a good look at what kind of bits are found in the old oil.

is the clutch still hydraulic? I put on all SS lines including the clutch, made a world of difference.

I also have the microfiches online at the project pages

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Mr Gixxer ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

yeah, a washout would be a good idea.....you can just use some el cheapo oil to do the cleansing....

funny things, acorns.....

the clutch and brake fluids will need to be changed, too.....the calipers cleaned (maybe rebuilt if the seals are shot).

but get the bike running first, though.....no sense in wasting time with other stuff if the motor's shot....

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]</p>

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yeah, bike is still stock Blue/White. Ugly as helll in my opinion. I'll probaly take my dual-action sander to it, prime, then paint dark gray/silver/Black. I know, it's broing, but My fiance says I look like Neo from the Matrix and that a dark colour scheme would "Go well with my eye colour". Women...Oh if you or anyone else wants these stock plastics for their correctness or whatever (don't know if there's a "Stock Pre-1990 Gixxer" restoration fanatic group or anything, I just do VWs) I wouldn't mind working out a sell/trade or whatever...

Just drained the oil. there was all of maybe 1/4 quart in this thing, black as midnight and has metal particles in it...BADDDD....

I don't even WANNA know what the clutch/fork fluid looks like...

·
Registered
9,334 Posts

yeah you can probably do plastic repair yourself, if its not cracked. then you'd need to really go at it or plastice weld it. check out www.empiregp.com they fix plastics.

how are the fork seals? are the tubes grungy and oily? are the seals dried up and cracked?

fuggin acorn!

yeah I'd fill the motor with cheapo oil, run it for a while, put some carb cleaner and octane booster in the gas, then drain the oil and put in the good stuff with a good filter (NOT an fram).

get the motor/carbs to run well, then do coolant/brake fluid

oh, and unless somehow the chain isnt rusted and nasty, get a new chain!
wouldnt want one to break

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

See my sig. Forks are heavlly modified to accept the Kimmel forward-facing fusion cannon. A little flash-rust on the forks themselves, but the trigger synchro. on the cannon is still good...pity the bike isn't running, or I'd go ice some asshole civic drivers right now...better get a teflon-coated fenter though, or I'll have to scrub the soot off before dinner...

Actually, I went out and started looking at the bike for various things to ask you guys, and to check on the cnain. While out there I nudged the exhaust pipe and it FELL OFF.
rusted clean through. there doesn't seem to be any rust on the actual engine though...just coated in black funk. Chain is rusted all to hell, it's gonna have to go. Flash rust on the forks. Can you have these sandblasted?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

much of the bike is aluminum.....frame, wheels, swingarm, are aluminum, and the engine is cast out of aluminum as well. i believe the fork sliders (the section of the fork that's bolted to the front wheel) are also cast aluminum, but the fork tubes (shiny top section) are definitely steel.

fairing brackets (both the upper one in front of the tank and the main one holding the upper fairing on) are steel.....as are most of the fasteners. so hopefully you have an impact wrench or driver ready to get those fuckers out.

the cylinder liners are iron, unfortunately.....so there's a good chance that they've rusted.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Wow men,

I think that I have problems but you win to me

Your bike need complete rebuild.

If you can, buy the manual, is very useful for repair the gixxer.

In this sites they are good prices:
Motorcycle Books

·
Registered
434 Posts

To flush the engine use 10-40 diesel oil it has very high detergents in it and lots of zinc the engine will like you, as to the forks you say they are rusted that would be the chrome slider part do not sand blast them,they have oil seals that slide on that surface try an sos pad if they are badly pitted you will need new forks or have the sliders hard chromed and reground. As to the general crude gunk engine shampoo works fairly well this should allow you to see what you have, as to the clutch pull the side cover and there is a pushrod from the slave cylinder to actuate the clutch and the rod can be cked with chain lube and general crude which will make the cluth action a lot stiffer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts