Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its come time for me to get another set of tyres on my 06 k6 1k. i liked the 014s that were st, then tried a shinko rear which had great grip but totally shithouse profile.

I was thinking of getting a set of pilot powers, but have been offered Pilot powers, dunlop qualifiers and metzler M3's for all around the same price (and bt-014s).

I was looking for something with the same turn in/wear rate as the 014's and am leaning towards the powers (i have already checked, but 2cts wont be available in oz for some time yet, and my front is getting VERY close to minimum legal).

Any feedback from people with all the differnent typres on a k5/k6 1k? i know each tyre is a different profile and it will be3 individual bias, but i'd still like to hear your thoughts. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Pilot Power with a 180 series rear. Please dont go the 190. The 180 offers better turn in, more contact patch when on it's edge, and a deeper tread, which will offer longer life.

Tech.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Won't i have to get a different profile if i go the 180 in order to keep the tyre height/speedo reading accurate ?

any one else agree wih the 180 suggestion? i'm not a racer, i occaisionally go to the drags, and will be doing a trackday or two in the near future at QR but dont ride that hard on the road. got the 1k cause im a lazy bugger and used to big bikes with torque. and now i've sold my car, the bike cops commuting duty too (which should change soon. gf is getting a 250 which i can hopefully ride to work)

Also i pillion around 50% of the time. is a 180 still a good choice?

thanks for the reply's people. and also, yes i know i can get a harder rear, but when it comes to tyres i dont like to cheap out (but im not stupid enough to get pilot races or the like)

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
PP`s are a very good road tyre and they will server you very well at the track, provided they are relitively new.
I don`t trust them at the track after about 50%. I reckon they become a bit unpredictable after that.
Ive ridden new a front PP to the very lip of the tyre and traction was still good, not bad for a road tyre.
I didn't mind 014's either, some whinge big time about them tyres, I dout I'd be able to take the chicken strips off the front of 014's though.

As for 180's Ive vever bothered. These things turn so fast as it is.

I can tell you they don`t like Dunlop 190/60 slicks, they change the geomerty too much and you end up with massive head shake at speed.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Your speedo is out between 5 and 8% anyway, but no, it won't make any difference to speedo reading. The overall height of a 180 over a 190 is still the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tech Doctor said:
The overall height of a 180 over a 190 is still the same.
I didn't think that the 180 and 190 profile height was the same????
180/55 and 190/50 is the norm and they are definately different profiles.
Considering the only brand of tyre i know of that makes a 190/55 is pirelli which would be the closest profile to the 180/55.

But i have been wrong before :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
diablo corsa's are more the equal of pp's etc....and they carry a hefty price premium.....over 150 more than a set of pp's. i'm not willing to pay that much more for them.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
corsas are the equilivant of the power race, not pilot power. corsas stick like shit to a blanket, but you get stuff all k's out of them. probably not what your after if you want good wear as per your first post. Thats why i suggested a standard diablo.

·
Registered
116 Posts
tokarelli said:
I didn't think that the 180 and 190 profile height was the same????
180/55 and 190/50 is the norm and they are definately different profiles.
Considering the only brand of tyre i know of that makes a 190/55 is pirelli which would be the closest profile to the 180/55.

But i have been wrong before :D
The profile indicator (i.e the 50 or 55) that you are referring too is not a height in units but instead it is a relationship of tyre height and width. So with a wider tyre and a lower number that doesnt necessarily mean that the it has a smaller rolling diameter. Just means the profile is different.

In short where you have gone wrong is you are missing up profile and height. They are separate because the profile depends on the height and the width. So there is really no such thing as profile height. It is either height width or profile. That number refers to profile. so if you know one of the other sizes you can work out the last.

·
Registered
497 Posts
im going to have t o disagree with the 180 sizing here. 180/55 tyres are designed to go on a 5.5 inch rim if you put them onto a 6inch rim it stretches the tyre out somewhat creating a flatter profile than if you used a 190. i have tryed both on my track bike and the 190 turns in quicker not to mention looks better lol.
oh go the pilot powers!!! ive used several sets and they are outstanding on the track and road (ive used them at qr, ec and pi).
how much are you looking at paying? seing as though you are inbrisbane i would suggest getting them from mick at motor trade machinists. you will get the set for $380 plus $5 each tyre if you want him to fit them

·
Registered
497 Posts
yep thats his every day price + or - $5. im in townsville and thats where get my tyres from. no point getn ripped at a bike shop. they want $520 for a set up here!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.