Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those guys out there that swapped their wheels from 18" to 17" here's some questions I'd love to hear the honest answer to regarding handling.
What was the effect of running the wider rubber.
Does the 180/17 slow the steering much & does this size seem like too much rubber which puts a lot of strain on the bike especially in hard cornering situations or is it all good?.
would a 160/17 be a better option to keep the steering happening easier?
I have no doubt there is some sort of improvement but what exactly was it apart from looks?
I am really looking for some justification to go bigger as I have always had 180s on other bikes & liked it but they were more modern sports bikes which suited it.
any takers? I know there's some knowledge out there on this subject.
cheers

[ 04-08-2002, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Kiwi750G ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've also kept my 4.5" and a 160/60 and it's fine. i have though about throwing on a 5.5 with a 180/55 but don't see the point.
The 17" ' ers look better, in my opinion and as FastKat has already said you get a good choice of modern rubber too.

Andy

·
Registered
219 Posts
In the tips and tricks forum of this site there is a MC gearing calculator that might help you out. I think 18's will give you a higher top speed, and 17's will be quicker. And I'm not sure which rims are lighter, your bike is pretty light. A wider tire size should give you a bit more of a contact surface. And unless your racing/sliding in corners, you might not notice a difference at all.

I've got a question for you guys, when did they go to a 5.5" rim for sling shots and what/where is the proper place to measure? The top or the base of the lip? Inside or outside?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by 88/750:
In the tips and tricks forum of this site there is a MC gearing calculator that might help you out. I think 18's will give you a higher top speed, and 17's will be quicker. And I'm not sure which rims are lighter, your bike is pretty light. A wider tire size should give you a bit more of a contact surface. And unless your racing/sliding in corners, you might not notice a difference at all.

I've got a question for you guys, when did they go to a 5.5" rim for sling shots and what/where is the proper place to measure? The top or the base of the lip? Inside or outside?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dunno where to measure from, but the outside of my wheel is stamped with "17x4.5" ...`90 was the first year for 5.5" wheels.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I was able to swap mine overnight after a Saturday ride...then go for a ride on Sunday. The 120/170-17" is more stable and seems to grip much better than the 110/140-18" I had before. Part of my perception of stability is from the '94 USD forks I put on that night. It is sooooooooo much more solid than the stock forks.

I also like the increased tire options with 17" wheels. I grew frustrated with 3 or 4 tires to choose with the 18" wheels

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by 88/750:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the 1990 euro and canadian models came wiht the USD forks and the 5.5" rear. the US models had to wait until 1991.

the measurement is from the inside of the lip like on a car tire.

As for handling, the biggest difference will be the modern rubber.
the larger footprint of the 180 will help in the corners, but with a 160/70/18 I was right on the edge of the tire, with the 5.5" I have lots of tire left and I am going the same speed(should get smaller this year).
I also swapped front forks for the 94 blue USD forks, and six piston brakes. that made a huge difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[qb]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dunno where to measure from, but the outside of my wheel is stamped with "17x4.5" ...`90 was the first year for 5.5" wheels.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks FastCat, I've seen that I don't know how many times and just figured it was some type of gibberish

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks again for the good replies. I am starting to get a good picture now of what I will have to do to get my bike how I would like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts